Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2020, 08:13 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,948,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Are there any barriers that have stopped people from moving to certain black neighborhoods in Charlotte? Any black neighborhoods that are heavily insulated? This development seems like a great plan. It’s a fine line between blocking development because of potential gentrification versus meeting neighborhood needs.
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by barriers or heavy insulation, but as of now the only closer-in neighborhood I can think of that might be slower to gentrify is Hidden Valley, which is the neighborhood that was highlighted by the DNC roll call for the state of NC over the summer that has a history of gang violence and drug trafficking--which you'd never know just by aesthetics as it looks like a typical middle class mid-century subdivision. There are also some cheap hotels in the vicinity which attracts some...shall we say, interesting pedestrians lol. But the new northern extension of the light rail is a mile and a half away so there are already concerns about future gentrification.

https://charlottesights.com/2693/nei...hidden-valley/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2020, 02:44 AM

346 posts, read 199,158 times
Wow this is dope! I'm shocked they doing it in Boston instead of a metro like ATL or DC where the black population is higher. I live in RDU (Durham is considered the 'black' city relative to Raleigh) and we need more projects like this for African Americans.

Old 12-26-2020, 09:25 AM

13,727 posts, read 15,760,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by barriers or heavy insulation, but as of now the only closer-in neighborhood I can think of that might be slower to gentrify is Hidden Valley, which is the neighborhood that was highlighted by the DNC roll call for the state of NC over the summer that has a history of gang violence and drug trafficking--which you'd never know just by aesthetics as it looks like a typical middle class mid-century subdivision. There are also some cheap hotels in the vicinity which attracts some...shall we say, interesting pedestrians lol. But the new northern extension of the light rail is a mile and a half away so there are already concerns about future gentrification.

https://charlottesights.com/2693/nei...hidden-valley/
Are the black professionals moving into the black neighborhoods of Charlotte? Revitalization can be driven by middle and upper class black people. It doesn't have to be other races moving in. I know there is high African American growth in Charlotte, where are they moving?

Old 12-26-2020, 09:31 AM

21,631 posts, read 12,766,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cevven View Post
Wow this is dope! I'm shocked they doing it in Boston instead of a metro like ATL or DC where the black population is higher. I live in RDU (Durham is considered the 'black' city relative to Raleigh) and we need more projects like this for African Americans.
Neither of those metros is as neighborhood oriented as Boston. In Boston a neighborhoods are governed a bit more like an independent town (Roxbury was an independent town until the 1850s). They even all have Municipal Centers and we used to have “little city halls” in different neighborhoods back in the 70s.as a result Roxbury has black everything. Fredrick Douglas Square, Marcus Garvey Apartments, Mandela Hones, Malcolm X Boulevard, The Black Family Center, MLK Boulevard, “the Mall of Roxbury”, Nubian Square, Elma Lewis Play house, Melnea Cass Boukevard, National Center of African American artists, The “Grove Hall Mecca”, it’s headquarter to the Urban Keague of Eastern Massachusetts and the Boston NAACP. With 60k people It’s very easily one of the most historic black neighborhoods in the nation only below blacks like Bronzeville, Harlem, South Central, The fifth ward and lower ninth ward.

DC is doing it though but in a bit more of a corporate and conventional way. This market isn’t really for the metro IMO-it’s for the city of Boston. No ones gonna come from the suburbs to go here unless they’re black and coming up Route 28/24...

It’s not all that feasible in ATL simply because there aren’t black highly urban areas like Boston, that’s why I’m not surprised at ATL.. I’d expect this to happen in more urban black populations. And also there’s less of a need for these types of spaces in ATL where the black population in general is extremely well served. Thai is something that been planned in Boston for decades and is long overdue. I’m more surprised I haven’t heard more from NYC Chicago or the Bay Area. There are other cities but they either don’t have the community and municipal resources to do this, don’t have the pre existing urbanity, are already well served culturally, or some other issue.

Lastly, remember that in Boston, Latinos are essentially “black” . Roxbury is called a black bneighborhoods but it’s really like 50% black and 40% Latino m. So wheelie the black population in the Boston area is 8-9% ..socially and practically it’s gonna feel more like ~15% and is no doubt going to get lots of use from the (Afro) Latino population. Some of the developments in black areas I posted are funded by La Nuestra Communidad and Vida Life Urbana.

Old 12-26-2020, 09:33 AM

21,631 posts, read 12,766,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Are the black professionals moving into the black neighborhoods of Charlotte? Revitalization can be driven by middle and upper class black people. It doesn't have to be other races moving in. I know there is high African American growth in Charlotte, where are they moving?
I’d have to think they would because the neighborhoods have the general prerequisites/amenities for a middle class society. Just need to get rid of the gangs. Just my outlook.

Old 12-26-2020, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
How so?

And speaking of Atlanta, this is like a reverse example of what BBMM is looking for that just opened there but it's relevant nonetheless.
Are black professionals moving into the south-side of Atlanta? Who is gentrifying those neighborhoods? Black professionals or white professionals? Is there anything other than the West End development proposed?

Old 12-26-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
I’d have to think they would because the neighborhoods have the general prerequisites/amenities for a middle class society. Just need to get rid of the gangs. Just my outlook.
Are the people moving into the new developments in black neighborhoods white or black in Charlotte? New developments in Prince George’s county in Maryland are almost exclusively black and DC being so small in land mass makes it easier for people to live outside the city. Charlotte has such a huge land mass, is there a place in city limits where black professionals gravitate that has new development?

Old 12-26-2020, 11:28 AM

346 posts, read 199,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Neither of those metros is as neighborhood oriented as Boston. In Boston a neighborhoods are governed a bit more like an independent town (Roxbury was an independent town until the 1850s). They even all have Municipal Centers and we used to have “little city halls” in different neighborhoods back in the 70s.as a result Roxbury has black everything. Fredrick Douglas Square, Marcus Garvey Apartments, Mandela Hones, Malcolm X Boulevard, The Black Family Center, MLK Boulevard, “the Mall of Roxbury”, Nubian Square, Elma Lewis Play house, Melnea Cass Boukevard, National Center of African American artists, The “Grove Hall Mecca”, it’s headquarter to the Urban Keague of Eastern Massachusetts and the Boston NAACP. With 60k people It’s very easily one of the most historic black neighborhoods in the nation only below blacks like Bronzeville, Harlem, South Central, The fifth ward and lower ninth ward.

DC is doing it though but in a bit more of a corporate and conventional way. This market isn’t really for the metro IMO-it’s for the city of Boston. No ones gonna come from the suburbs to go here unless they’re black and coming up Route 28/24...

It’s not all that feasible in ATL simply because there aren’t black highly urban areas like Boston, that’s why I’m not surprised at ATL.. I’d expect this to happen in more urban black populations. And also there’s less of a need for these types of spaces in ATL where the black population in general is extremely well served. Thai is something that been planned in Boston for decades and is long overdue. I’m more surprised I haven’t heard more from NYC Chicago or the Bay Area. There are other cities but they either don’t have the community and municipal resources to do this, don’t have the pre existing urbanity, are already well served culturally, or some other issue.

Lastly, remember that in Boston, Latinos are essentially “black” . Roxbury is called a black bneighborhoods but it’s really like 50% black and 40% Latino m. So wheelie the black population in the Boston area is 8-9% ..socially and practically it’s gonna feel more like ~15% and is no doubt going to get lots of use from the (Afro) Latino population. Some of the developments in black areas I posted are funded by La Nuestra Communidad and Vida Life Urbana.
Makes sense. I just realized Roxbury is the Harlem of Boston (makes sense because pretty much all black famous black people from Boston are from Roxbury, including people from New Edition, and cats like Guru (Rest In Power), Ed O.G., Michael Beach. That place is rich in black history as you said.

One city of interest of mine is Fayetteville, NC where I grew up most of my childhood. That city, I feel has significant potential for development when it comes to black business. I see a lot of people make jokes about it saying it's a "dusty military ghetto" full of rednecks, and ratchet hood n*ggas that has absolute zero potential for progressive growth - and essentially should be nuked. I beg to differ, if black people of affluence don't fear putting money into the city. The city has a large black population compared to other NC cities They have Fayetteville State, a HBCU. They have a black mayor. Even the climate is not too bad, similar to ATL (cool to mild winters, long summers, summers may be just be a tad hotter, and lower risk for tornadoes), and it is of somewhat close proximity to Raleigh-Durham. Fayetteville historically, like Wilmington, had their share of successful black business but what happened in Wilmington in 1898 has created a multi-generational fear of black people in NC developing their own economies. Durham did OKAY as far as developing a black uppity mobile population (Durham also a good number of black businesses too).

Old 12-26-2020, 11:57 AM

12,164 posts, read 8,010,150 times
I think Nubian Square might become a top 10 destination in Boston when all set and done. If not, top 5 after the Commons, North End, Faneuil Hall, Bunker Hill and Harvard Square.

Old 12-26-2020, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
I think Nubian Square might become a top 10 destination in Boston when all set and done. If not, top 5 after the Commons, North End, Faneuil Hall, Bunker Hill and Harvard Square.
Is that a good thing in this context? It won’t really be black anymore if it becomes a destination for the region. For example, the developments posted in this thread for DC will be Ward 7, Ward 8, and Prince George’s county destinations versus regional destinations. That will keep them culturally black. Now to be fair, the Anacostia River will keep them that way. It insulates the community from outside forces.

DC’s Black Broadway, NYC’s Harlem Renaissance, and Tulsa’s Black Wall Street are real possibilities in cities across the nation if done correctly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.