Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2021, 04:54 PM

2,751 posts, read 2,423,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
All of Nova looks like the pristine New South to me.

The southern half of PG and all of Charles County are undeniably southern, at times very southern.

MoCO and DC feel northern. MoCo sees the immigrant diversity, heavy-handed progressivism, white flight and architecture of the urban north.

Baltimore area looks very northern but has more Appalachian and Eastern Shore influence, culturally.
Not sure I necessarily agree with MoCo having the architecture of the urban north but I don't want to derail this thread. DC itself is really a mix of North and South.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2021, 05:35 PM

6,815 posts, read 6,051,327 times
^Northern charm and Southern efficiency?

Old 01-11-2021, 06:03 PM

37,888 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
MoCO and DC feel northern. MoCo sees the immigrant diversity, heavy-handed progressivism, white flight and architecture of the urban north.
Interesting. Montgomery County feels a good bit like NoVA to me, and definitely in terms of architecture; I don't really see anything reminiscent of the urban north there. Rockville Town Center, Downtown Silver Spring, and the Kentlands in Gaithersburg are all New Urbanist developments and while Bethesda's downtown has a more organic feel, it largely consists of newer mixed-use commercial development. Modern multifamily in the cores of Bethesda and Silver Spring give way to SFH neighborhoods and garden apartments with rowhouses nowhere to be seen. The suburban I-270 Biotech Corridor is more RTP and less Kendall Square. Also the SFH stock in MoCo tends to be newer than most comparable areas in the urban North from my perspective.

Old 01-11-2021, 07:14 PM

21,637 posts, read 12,793,003 times
Places like old silver spring, Chevy Chase and Bethesda all can feel pretty Newton MA Northern NJ at points. Cottage city and Edmondson are really unique. The old money street car areas in those burbs. Rockville and Whitehall and stuff, the newer router MoCo not so much. Hyattsville is a mix.

Old 01-11-2021, 07:46 PM

37,888 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Places like old silver spring, Chevy Chase and Bethesda all can feel pretty Newton MA Northern NJ at points. Cottage city and Edmondson are really unique. The old money street car areas in those burbs. Rockville and Whitehall and stuff, the newer router MoCo not so much. Hyattsville is a mix.
I agree that old money Chevy Chase and Bethesda feel like the affluent suburban North but when I think of Northern urban suburban areas, Camden, Newark, and JC come to mind for me and it's that gritty, industrial element that they have (mostly Camden and Newark) which is lacking in the DC suburbs for reasons well understood.

And stop trying to take Hyattsville from PG. They can have nice things too lol.

Old 01-11-2021, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I agree that old money Chevy Chase and Bethesda feel like the affluent suburban North but when I think of Northern urban suburban areas, Camden, Newark, and JC come to mind for me and it's that gritty, industrial element that they have (mostly Camden and Newark) which is lacking in the DC suburbs for reasons well understood.

And stop trying to take Hyattsville from PG. They can have nice things too lol.
Those aren’t suburbs though. We wouldn’t call those suburbs.

Those are cities, and no there’s nothing like northern edge cities in Maryland.

Oh yea Im Always gonna associate Hyattsville with MoCo i don’t care lmao.

Old 01-11-2021, 08:57 PM

93,402 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Some development in Newark and Irvington NJ: Real Estate Portfolio – Adenah Bayoh
The lady behind it: Adenah Bayoh

Old 01-11-2021, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Some development in Newark and Irvington NJ: Real Estate Portfolio – Adenah Bayoh
The lady behind it: Adenah Bayoh
Irvington and East Orange are some of my favorite places because they give me crazy Roxbury/Dorchester vibes but a little more gritty like ~2008 Boston lol. Its nearly identical archtiecture/density. It's impressive to see Irvington getting new developments but honestly, that whole region is awesome and undervalued. It only makes sense some of the development from Maplewood would reach into Irvington.

Nice to see a local West African getting in on things early.

Old 01-11-2021, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Irvington and East Orange are some of my favorite places because they give me crazy Roxbury/Dorchester vibes but a little more gritty like ~2008 Boston lol. Its nearly identical archtiecture/density. It's impressive to see Irvington getting new developments but honestly, that whole region is awesome and undervalued. It only makes sense some of the development from Maplewood would reach into Irvington.

Nice to see a local West African getting in on things early.
That and Newark has been getting developed as well. So, people from the community should get involved in that as well.

Irvington is interesting in that it hasn’t really been gentrified, as far as I know. So, this type of development could attract or keep people there that want that type of housing.

Old 01-11-2021, 09:34 PM

In Brooklyn’s Brownsville section: https://shoppeblack.us/2020/08/black...-housing-deal/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.