Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2021, 10:27 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Five Guys is a local favorite in DC (their HQ is less than 5 minutes from me).

I personally think it's a little overpriced (so don't frequent it), but the burgers are good!
Five Guys is in my town open for around 2 years. I think their burgers and fries are way too HUGE to eat, unless you're a fat person with a HUGE appetite. That is why they're priced higher. So much, much MORE!

Interesting how the company tries to relieve boredom while waiting in line by having pallets stacked with potatoes to look at. But I'm not sure if there is enough fat people in my little town to keep Five Guys open much longer.

Last edited by StillwaterTownie; 08-23-2021 at 10:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2021, 10:34 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times
Quote:
As a former Okie, I'll add that you forgot Quik Trip.
But the convenience store with HQ in my home town, OnCue, is giving them a lot of competition. OnCue has been building big new stores all over Oklahoma City. It's like Quik Trip is yesterday's news.

Old 08-23-2021, 11:43 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,821,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
But the convenience store with HQ in my home town, OnCue, is giving them a lot of competition. OnCue has been building big new stores all over Oklahoma City. It's like Quik Trip is yesterday's news.
Oh no! When I lived in Stillwater, I don't actually recall ever seeing a Quik Trip, so maybe it's a regional Oklahoma thing? I lived near their Tulsa HQ and the entire city (and all of Green Country) is just mobbed with them.

Of course, I left Oklahoma 7 years ago, so maybe things have changed.

Old 08-24-2021, 12:49 AM

1,812 posts, read 2,225,589 times
Quote:
Oh no! When I lived in Stillwater, I don't actually recall ever seeing a Quik Trip, so maybe it's a regional Oklahoma thing? I lived near their Tulsa HQ and the entire city (and all of Green Country) is just mobbed with them.

Of course, I left Oklahoma 7 years ago, so maybe things have changed.
No, they haven't. The two chains don't compete in any market. On Cue is is only in locations where QT doesn't exist. QT does not build stores in small towns like Stillwater. Larger metro areas only. On Cue's only city is OKC, which has zero QT locations.

Quick Trip is many times a larger and more successful company. One Cue is a small regional chain.

On Cue is in OKC, Stillwater and Enid and who cares whatever small Oklahoma towns.

Quik Trip is in Phoenix, Tucson, Denver, Atlanta, Des Moines, Wichita, Greenville, Kansas City, St. Louis, Omaha, Charlotte, Tulsa, Shreveport, Dallas/Fort Worth, Austin and San Antonio

Not similar.

Last edited by swake; 08-24-2021 at 12:59 AM..

Old 08-24-2021, 07:51 AM

6,380 posts, read 5,498,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
They’re unique… they use some sort of recipe that results in a different taste than your standard fry. I don’t think that’s changed. I’d say it’s still above average.
Yes the appeal of five guys for me has always been their fries. They hit different!

Old 08-24-2021, 08:23 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,762,417 times
Quote:
As a former Okie, I'll add that you forgot Quik Trip.
Ah, Quick Trip. Not sure of the history, but I used to associate it with places surrounding Tulsa, though I know it's more widespread.
For me, it was my go-to place in Kansas City, known for having a great fountain drink selection and better-than-average gas station food... or at least it seemed that way. Always consistent and clean.
In more recent years they've been doing this cafe, made-to-order thing.
They do exist in the smaller towns of Muskogee and Joplin.

Up here in Wisconsin, it's Kwik Trip. Different company, of course.
More known for it's decent grocery section, good coffee bar, some hot food, good selection of heat-and-eat, but not much in the way of fountain drinks. Like QT, it's very consistent and very clean.
Funny story: people in Wisconsin will push little shopping carts around Kwik Trip's and get many of their groceries there. I saw this in the Milwaukee area, where there's no shortage of very good supermarkets. Funny, because it's ultimately a... gas station.

Then there's Casey's out of Iowa. If you've ever lived in a tiny midwestern town, you know it as the pizza place. Often, the only pizza place. Thankfully it's pretty decent, but it does get old.

Stopped at a Wawa in Pennsylvania once, and remember it being quite good. Think I had a made to order sandwich or something.

Old 08-24-2021, 08:35 AM

3,415 posts, read 5,130,432 times
In Northeast Ohio we have Mr. Hero which is sort of the working man’s fast food place, known for Roman burgers (a cross between a sub and a burger) and waffle fries.

Old 08-24-2021, 09:56 AM

6,811 posts, read 4,246,943 times
I remember in Detroit I quite liked a chain called Kerbys Koney Island. I slightly preferred it over National Coney Island, a very similar local chain. Both chains seem to only exist in the Detroit metro and basically offer diner food centered around "coneys" i.e. hot dogs. Both also have a Greek twist in that they offer gyros (which were my preferred choice).

Old 08-24-2021, 02:11 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,957,540 times
For Phoenix, it is going to be Filibertos. Is it going to be a culinary delight, no. However, they are on every corner and are open 24 hours, it's where you go after the bar

Otherwise, Phoenix is blessed with at least one location of every regional fast food chain you can imagine. I dare you to find one that hasn't expanded here. We have so many fast food options it is down right crazy.

Old 08-24-2021, 02:33 PM

4,834 posts, read 5,736,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
For Phoenix, it is going to be Filibertos. Is it going to be a culinary delight, no. However, they are on every corner and are open 24 hours, it's where you go after the bar

Otherwise, Phoenix is blessed with at least one location of every regional fast food chain you can imagine. I dare you to find one that hasn't expanded here. We have so many fast food options it is down right crazy.
I'll bite...Runza
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.