Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2021, 11:07 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Dairy Queen operates in almost every state.
Makes sense it would be popular in some of them.
Minnesota has the most DQ’s per person. Texas has the most unique setup, from what I understand, having their own food system of sorts.
Ha, Dairy Queen never survived in my town. But Wendy's sure did, and several years ago added Wendy's no. 2.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2021, 11:17 PM

3,264 posts, read 1,743,884 times
Notsomuch a place but a dish, Poutine (Pronounced Poot-Zin) French fries, cheese curds and thick beef gravy. Some folk add a goodly amount of crumpled crispy bacon. I like it with a little salt and lots of cracked black pepper. Absolute heaven on a plate and highly addictive.

Use with caution!

Old 08-14-2021, 11:27 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,630,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
People in Louisiana are big on Popeye's and Raising Canes. Waffle House and Chick fil A are also very popular though.
Popeye's went out of business years ago in my town. However, Raising Cane's seems to be doing okay despite being located across the street from Chick fil A. Unlike Chick fil A, they are surely enjoying being open on Sundays. My town isn't along an Interstate, so no Waffle House here.

Old 08-15-2021, 12:30 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,194,898 times
I'm not sure if it's just the location, but I went to Raising Canes in Oak Lawn IL on Saturday, and the drive thru was jam packed to the extent that the traffic stretched beyond the actual boundaries of the drive thru. It took me close to an hour to get my food. I know Canes is actually Louisiana-based, but at least at this particular location it is doing just as well(if not more) as would a Portillo's, which as mentioned is the authentic Chicago-based fast food chain.

Old 08-15-2021, 12:48 AM

9,977 posts, read 5,675,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post
Oh wow, didn't even realize that location had closed! And interesting there's another one out in in Roselle. I'm curious if that one also is attached to a gas station, a la the one in the Hyde Park neighborhood?
Yeah, it's even inside a BP like the Hyde Park one was. So I'm guessing they had or have some kind of arrangement with BP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I find this odd. One location in Illinois but most in the western US. The distribution wouldn’t make sense unless they are using a different distributor. One other quirk about Taco Time is they have two main operators and the menus are not exactly the same.

Their food is a tier above the usual competitors but still decently priced. If anyone can a make a bean burrito appetizing it is Taco Time!
There used to be more of them out here but they've retrenched back to the west. I guess we just have one last holdout. As for being a tier above the usual competitors... I'll take your word for it as may be the case out your way, but I don't put a lot of faith in the one around here operating out the back corner of a gas station.

Old 08-15-2021, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
As far as SoCal originals go, I for one prefer Wienerschnitzel over In'n'Out.
We still have remnants of Wienerschnitzel out here in the Midwest, where they've paired up with Tastee Freez in a desperate bid by both to stay relevant.

Old 08-15-2021, 06:42 AM

17,790 posts, read 13,682,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Ha, Dairy Queen never survived in my town. But Wendy's sure did, and several years ago added Wendy's no. 2.
Years ago Dairy Queens in Oklahoma flame broiled their burgers and they were darn good. Now their burgers are flat out awful. Same in Texas. And DQs also struggle in this area because Braums is synonymous with ice cream. DQs are few and far between in Oklahoma anymore. I guess in Texas they have always been an iconic brand so they persist.

Old 08-15-2021, 07:00 AM

16,215 posts, read 11,330,002 times
My "anchor home town" of Berwick, PA had an early Tastee-Freez, located in a working-class neighborhood and very popular, but the owners were reluctant to pay the fees for "national marketing", etc. They dropped out, but made the mistake of still using "Tee and Eff" and a few other recognizable trade marks. The "Berwick-Freez", called simply "the Freez" by the local teenagers (of whom I was one at the time), brought a lawsuit from the parent company, the decision from which found its way into a precedent for the legal treatment of franchising in Pennsylvania.

Perhaps not suprisingly, the usual invasion of the local market by McDonalds, etc, came a few years later than in most surrounding communities. The original "Freez" survives as part of May's Drive-ins -- a small local operator specializing in popular-price, but not-all-that-"fast" food.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 08-15-2021 at 08:01 AM..

Old 08-15-2021, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
We still have remnants of Wienerschnitzel out here in the Midwest, where they've paired up with Tastee Freez in a desperate bid by both to stay relevant.
So I just checked their locations list... there's only one left out this way and it's in Champaign (home of University of Illinois). Kind of weird to see these lone Midwest holdouts here like TacoTime and Wienerschnitzel. pnwguy2 makes an interesting point about who their supplier are. How can it possibly be worth operating these lone franchises a thousand miles away from their vendors' usual supply lines? Are they delivering the same product with the same consistency as their western brethren?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.