Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2021, 05:53 PM

65 posts, read 41,842 times

Advertisements

What about the The Varsity in Atlanta. Beloved by the locals and tourists. It has the worst burgers and fries I've ever had.

Roscoe's Chicken and Waffles in LA/Hollywood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2021, 05:58 PM

9,855 posts, read 6,570,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
We also have a few Culver’s in Austin. But my first go at Culver’s was the one off of Scenic Hwy in Snellville (Atlanta metro suburb). And yes their lines are LONG. I love their burgers and shakes though.

I will take Culver’s over Whataburger and In-and-out without a second thought.

Austin has great food but one thing that really bugs me is most fast food restaurants are closed by 10pm except Whataburger and I have to be extremely hungry to consider eating at Whataburger.
Some of this are post pandemic staffing shortages. I don’t care anyway. When in out and about late at night I prefer regular food

Old 08-09-2021, 06:00 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,843,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
The Culver's in Atlanta and Tampa Bay have lines out their doors, they're crazy popular. Of course, both places do have tons of relocated Midwesterners.
I feel like the one near me in Wake Forest is always empty when I drive by.

Old 08-09-2021, 06:20 PM

65 posts, read 41,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb05f View Post
It seems like Californians don’t pay much attention to Fatburger. I like In-N-Out, but Fatburger is the best burger I’ve ever had.
El Pollo Loco is great.
I like Zaxby’s but didn’t know it was Southern until I read it in this thread.
Arkansas – David’s Burgers is good. Fatburger is the best burger I’ve had, period; but after Fatburger David’s is the best fast food burger I’ve had.
I really like Braum’s, they should expand their territory.
Yoshinoya is actually a Japanese chain. It’s great, but not sure California can claim it as their region’s.
Agree that Fatburgers is the best burger when done right (soft bun, seasoned juicy patty). Sadly many of the franchise locations fall short. For you LA homers the best burgers were to be found at their original location at 30th and Western in South Central LA and at their iconic location at La Cienega and San Vicente Blvds. Both locations are long gone. Whataburger comes close to those of Fatburger.

Old 08-09-2021, 07:23 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,443,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justatravelinguy View Post
What about the The Varsity in Atlanta. Beloved by the locals and tourists. It has the worst burgers and fries I've ever had.
My Atlanta friends call it nasty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
Carolinians live and die by Bojangles, and Floridians love love some Pollo Tropical.
Nashville takes real pride in Hattie B's too, as they should.

Old 08-09-2021, 07:36 PM

11,779 posts, read 7,992,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Some of this are post pandemic staffing shortages. I don’t care anyway. When in out and about late at night I prefer regular food
It was like the pre-pandemic too. Pre-pandemic if I had a late night shift and wanted to grab food at 11pm, my options were Twin Peaks, Hooters, or going all the way to MLK near UT where the only Canes Chicken in the entire metro was still open.

Maybe it’s specific to Austin but it’s pretty terrible when you get hungry late at night.

Old 08-09-2021, 07:43 PM

8,320 posts, read 5,481,561 times
Quote:
Agree that Fatburgers is the best burger when done right (soft bun, seasoned juicy patty). Sadly many of the franchise locations fall short. For you LA homers the best burgers were to be found at their original location at 30th and Western in South Central LA and at their iconic location at La Cienega and San Vicente Blvds. Both locations are long gone. Whataburger comes close to those of Fatburger.
Fatburger is the best chain hamburger IMO.

And yeah, the Varsity in Atlanta is really quite subpar.

Old 08-09-2021, 08:02 PM

484 posts, read 871,133 times
So many fast food, fast casual, and casual dining chains with regional and national recognition started in Southern California.

Five Guys is gross.

Interesting tidbit, Jollibee's US headquarters is in West Covina, CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Few more: King Taco in Southern California, The Hat (some of the best pastrami sandwiches) in Southern California, and Original Tommy’s Burgers (burgers with chili on top) in Southern California.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
McDonalds was started in Southern California (San Bernardino).

Others from Southern California include;
Weinerschnitzel, Baskin Robbins, Jack In The Box, Del Taco, El Pollo Loco, and Carl’s Jr. Along with Denny’s, IHOP, and Big Boy. I’m sure I’m forgetting plenty others? These are just the ones I know off the top of my head.
Quote:
Fatburgers, Norms, and Winchells Donuts all out of the LA.
Some others not listed above that came from Southern California:
Panda Express, Wetzel's Pretzels, The Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf, Orange Julius, Robeks, Louisiana Famous Fried Chicken, Menchie's Frozen Yogurt, Pinkberry, Red Mango, Tutti Frutti Frozen Yogurt, Yogurtland, The Habit Burger, Umami Burger, Hot Dog on a Stick, Baja Fresh, La Salsa, Wahoo's Fish Taco, Blaze Pizza, Pieology, Veggie Grill, BJ's Restaurant, Cheesecake Factory, California Pizza Kitchen, Johnny Rockets, Lazy Dog Restaurant, Yard House, Mimi's Cafe, Sizzler. I'm sure there's more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb05f View Post
It seems like Californians don’t pay much attention to Fatburger. I like In-N-Out, but Fatburger is the best burger I’ve ever had.
El Pollo Loco is great.
I like Zaxby’s but didn’t know it was Southern until I read it in this thread.
Arkansas – David’s Burgers is good. Fatburger is the best burger I’ve had, period; but after Fatburger David’s is the best fast food burger I’ve had.
I really like Braum’s, they should expand their territory.
Yoshinoya is actually a Japanese chain. It’s great, but not sure California can claim it as their region’s.
True, but Yoshinoya is only present in California now. By definition it's truly regional now.

Old 08-09-2021, 08:31 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,866,194 times
I may have posted this before somewhere but In ‘n Out tasted much better to me 20-30 years ago. I don’t know if they have changed their ingredients or if my taste has just changed. Difficult question to answer.

Old 08-09-2021, 08:32 PM

846 posts, read 1,796,967 times
Krystal is very weird with how its locations are spread throughout the South. They are pretty much everywhere in GA and most of TN, but the minute you get into South Carolina you barely see any of them. There’s only two in the entire state. Aiken and Gaffney.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.