Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2021, 04:00 PM

6,377 posts, read 5,492,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Five Guys is so much better than in-n-out. And I had no idea Culver’s had a loyal following. Taste is in the bud of a tongue I suppose.
I really truly wanted to In-n-Out to live up to its hype when I visited the west coast for the first time. It just didn't do it for me. On a second trip out I had been told "you have to get it animal style or it doesn't count"....sure that gave the burger an extra kick but their fries were still blah. They aren't cooked all the way through!

Similar experience with Shake Shack. Was so excited to try it out on a trip to DC; and was let down significantly. Thought "try it at the mothership" and gave it another shot in NYC; still didn't do it for me.

It's more about the nostalgia like others have said. I have no doubt Cookout and Bojangles worship is eye-roll worthy to people outside of NC/the Southeast as well.

But not Krispy Kreme....that cult following is well deserved and nationwide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2021, 04:04 PM

12,162 posts, read 8,002,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
I really truly wanted to In-n-Out to live up to its hype when I visited the west coast for the first time. It just didn't do it for me. On a second trip out I had been told "you have to get it animal style or it doesn't count"....sure that gave the burger an extra kick but their fries were still blah. They aren't cooked all the way through!

Similar experience with Shake Shack. Was so excited to try it out on a trip to DC; and was let down significantly. Thought "try it at the mothership" and gave it another shot in NYC; still didn't do it for me.

It's more about the nostalgia like others have said. I have no doubt Cookout and Bojangles worship is eye-roll worthy to people outside of NC/the Southeast as well.

But not Krispy Kreme....that cult following is well deserved and nationwide.
i dont really like Krispy Kreme. I have only sen two in the RDU area.

Greensboro has a lot.

Old 08-09-2021, 04:56 PM

994 posts, read 780,328 times
A lot of these are now more than regional, and I wouldn't consider some fast food (to me that's pulling up to a drive through window, getting your food and leaving).

My favorite for Cleveland/NE Ohio is Mr. Hero (Roman Burger... enough said). They got over 100 locations but think everyone is in Northern Ohio. There are a couple in Toledo and maybe Columbus got a couple now but its still regional specific.

The other one is Swenson's in Akron. It'll put pretty much any cheeseburger to shame (including some from local chains that branched out national). Swensons still probably has less than 20 locations but is moving into Cleveland in recent years. How good is it? LeBron is an absolute health freak but he is not turning down a Swensons burger. The shakes too, smh.

Old 08-09-2021, 05:25 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,847,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
i dont really like Krispy Kreme. I have only sen two in the RDU area.

Greensboro has a lot.
Get Krispy Kreme on Peace Street. The others don’t count.

Old 08-09-2021, 05:28 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,446,202 times
Carolinians live and die by Bojangles, and Floridians love love some Pollo Tropical.

Old 08-09-2021, 05:29 PM

9,869 posts, read 6,583,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by as above so below... View Post
former californian and current texan. Verdict on whataburger and in-n-out: Both grossly overrated.

If were talking about regional fast food chains, id go with culvers as my favorite. Its from wisconsin.
1000%

Old 08-09-2021, 05:31 PM

9,869 posts, read 6,583,760 times
Quote:
Get Krispy Kreme on Peace Street. The others don’t count.
In Houston, this is what people say about the Shipley Donuts on Ella Blvd. I didn’t know Krispy Kreme had a similar store like this. I’ll check it out when I can!

Old 08-09-2021, 05:39 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,928,191 times
Quote:
Five Guys is so much better than in-n-out. And I had no idea Culver’s had a loyal following. Taste is in the bud of a tongue I suppose.
The Culver's in Atlanta and Tampa Bay have lines out their doors, they're crazy popular. Of course, both places do have tons of relocated Midwesterners.

Old 08-09-2021, 05:47 PM

11,791 posts, read 8,002,955 times
We also have a few Culver’s in Austin. But my first go at Culver’s was the one off of Scenic Hwy in Snellville (Atlanta metro suburb). And yes their lines are LONG. I love their burgers and shakes though.

I will take Culver’s over Whataburger and In-and-out without a second thought.

Austin has great food but one thing that really bugs me is most fast food restaurants are closed by 10pm except Whataburger and I have to be extremely hungry to consider eating at Whataburger.

Old 08-09-2021, 05:48 PM

6,083 posts, read 10,700,318 times
It’s Chipotle for Denver. Popular local fast food joints are Good Times Burgers & Custard and Chubby’s
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.