Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2021, 08:53 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

I’m surprised that no one from WV has mentioned Tudor’s Biscuit World.

For the Buffalo area, Mighty Taco is a locally based chain. Jim's Steak Out is another Buffalo area chain.

I guess if sandwich shops are included, Jreck Subs is a chain based in Watertown NY, that is in other parts of Upstate NY.

Locally based fast food chains aren't too big in that part of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2021, 09:50 AM

5,762 posts, read 11,367,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
Not sure if it’s technically considered fast-food, but Portillo’s would be a local fast food type place.
We have have Jollibees (sp?) here too due to the pretty large Filipino population.
There are a couple of Portillo's in southern California too. I've been to the one in Buena Park (near Anaheim) countless times. They feature the same Chicago 1920's era photos, signs, and nostalgia all over the walls. The sliced beef sandwiches are the feature item on the menu.

Old 08-10-2021, 11:32 AM

8,851 posts, read 5,866,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
There are a couple of Portillo's in southern California too. I've been to the one in Buena Park (near Anaheim) countless times. They feature the same Chicago 1920's era photos, signs, and nostalgia all over the walls. The sliced beef sandwiches are the feature item on the menu.
Wow…interesting. Didn’t know it had that far of a reach

Old 08-10-2021, 12:40 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,926,133 times
Quote:
They also just opened a large outpost in Orlando as well.

Old 08-11-2021, 08:48 AM

9,977 posts, read 5,675,804 times
Quote:
They've set up shop in a few select markets where there's a significant Chicago diaspora. The Phoenix area in particular has pretty much all the regional Chicago chains, and they're popping up in Florida too. But you're not gonna find a Portillo's or Giordano's in Baltimore or Kansas City or Buffalo any time soon because there's few former Chicagoans in those places.

It turns out the Cardinals as a former Chicago institution were ahead of their time when they eventually made Phoenix their new home.

Old 08-11-2021, 10:57 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,754,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
They've set up shop in a few select markets where there's a significant Chicago diaspora. The Phoenix area in particular has pretty much all the regional Chicago chains, and they're popping up in Florida too. But you're not gonna find a Portillo's or Giordano's in Baltimore or Kansas City or Buffalo any time soon because there's few former Chicagoans in those places.

It turns out the Cardinals as a former Chicago institution were ahead of their time when they eventually made Phoenix their new home.
Yeah, I guess there may have been one or two old-timers follow the bounce from Chicago to St. Louis to Phoenix.
One or two.
Speaking of football, Patrick Mahomes apparently is helping to bring Whataburger to Kansas City.
Still not my favorite burger place, but it's kind of neat. Not too much of a stretch for them to expand up that way either. There's a fair amount of back-and-forth between KC and various parts of Texas.

Old 08-11-2021, 05:10 PM

220 posts, read 172,835 times
I used to visit black owned Frenchy's near the university of Houston and TSU, they have 11 locations in Houston. It's superior to Popeyes's.
Our Menu

Old 08-11-2021, 09:21 PM

9,869 posts, read 6,583,760 times
One that I don’t understand… In Texas, Dairy Queen gets a lot of pride and support. But it neither started nor is based here so I don’t even understand this one.

Old 08-11-2021, 10:54 PM

368 posts, read 1,329,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
In Houston (and all of Texas for some of these), we have regional pride for a few others.

Shipley Donuts
Fertitta Entertainment/Landry’s Inc (Although the more time passes, Houston likes them less while other states like them more)
Salata
Fuddruckers (first black owned nation wide chain!)
Marble Slab
Luby’s
Pappadeaux!

And of course Buc-Ee’s!!!!. If there’s any chain that has a chance of taking Whataburger’s reign for Texans, it’s this one.
I know Texans love their Bucces and it’s amazing they have like 40 gas pumps. Anyways they built a new buccees in Alabama just outside of the Florida/Pensacola area.

Old 08-11-2021, 11:36 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,870,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
One that I don’t understand… In Texas, Dairy Queen gets a lot of pride and support. But it neither started nor is based here so I don’t even understand this one.
Dairy Queen is owned by a large company called Berkshire Hathaway. They once were much more individualized but that era is long gone. I do think they still offer a local flavor, but that is an illusion since they are mostly all the same today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.