Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2022, 11:14 AM

16,090 posts, read 10,753,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
What makes Denver original?
I think it probably deserves to be on the list.
State Capital
Regional economic power
Front range setting
Important sports teams
An interesting built environment

Most of the listed places differ in ranking by a matter of degrees. A sunny day or a cloudy day could change the list ranking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post

I was thinking Albuquerque was a little off for some reason - and honestly I had a vision of Bugs Bunny in my head lol. But maybe the OP was thinking of Santa Fe as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
I would replace Albuquerque with Santa Fe.
I think the list is pretty good as is. Albuquerque is fine where it is. Few people have actually gained any real experience with the place -- especially if Bugs Bunny and Breaking Bad are your frame of reference. Santa Fe proper is under 100k population but sufficiently connected to Albuquerque to be considered together -- but they are different in spite of close proximity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustratedintelligence View Post
So the most culturally unique cities, pretty much

NYC
San Francisco
New Orleans
San Antonio
Savannah
Charleston
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Savannah and Charleston are basucally identical and interchangeable
I was thinking the same. Remove one or the other and add Santa Fe (the metro is about 150k).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2022, 12:04 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times
Most Unique?

New Orleans

Los Angeles

Vegas

NYC

Miami

Houston

I think a couple cities have the issue where they are influential enough others are kind of just like them.

Providence is like that with Boston. So therefore Boston isn’t unique. (And other towns in New England) Same thing with those auto towns like Lansing, Toledo, Etc and Detroit

Charlotte seems to intentionally imitate Atlanta as well

Old 04-02-2022, 04:04 PM

4,383 posts, read 4,625,432 times
Quote:
Savannah and Charleston are basucally identical and interchangeable
Savannah and Charleston are sister cities but are very distinctively different from one another. Savannah is a city full of parks and squares with a little more grit and less colorful than Charleston. Charleston has a harbor and Savannah has a river.

Old 04-02-2022, 04:26 PM

860 posts, read 698,573 times
Asheville

Old 04-02-2022, 06:58 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,319,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Savannah and Charleston are sister cities but are very distinctively different from one another. Savannah is a city full of parks and squares with a little more grit and less colorful than Charleston. Charleston has a harbor and Savannah has a river.
That doesn't sound very different at all. It sounds like trying to find differences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
I think it probably deserves to be on the list.
State Capital
Regional economic power
Front range setting
Important sports teams
An interesting built environment

Most of the listed places differ in ranking by a matter of degrees. A sunny day or a cloudy day could change the list ranking.
I struggle to see how these things make Denver original. I'll give you big city on the front range, nothing is interesting about the sports teams, every city is a regional economic power, and the built environment doesn't particularly seem original.

Old 04-02-2022, 07:04 PM

912 posts, read 1,085,456 times
Baltimore should be in here somewhere. It can swap with Madison or ABQ.

Old 04-02-2022, 07:23 PM

6,116 posts, read 12,601,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
That doesn't sound very different at all. It sounds like trying to find differences.

Have you ever been to Charleston or Savannah? If the question is "most original", both surely belong on the list. They both predate the Nation - how much more original can you get?

Old 04-02-2022, 07:29 PM

663 posts, read 306,731 times
Why is no one saying San Francisco? Its connected homes are nothing like the Northeast or Europe. Unless some Southern European villas are used

LA and Chicago created their own new American bungalow home for its booming middle-class.

LA 1910 thru 30s did its iconic wood bungalows with its sweeping roofs and porches. Cali style Arts and Crafts/Craftsman. Even up thru to Seattle and their slant

Chicago the same time did its brick bungalows inspired by Frank Lloyd Wright Prairie-Style Craftsman bungalows as 1/3 the city. They had full basements and zoned by the city and minimum qualities. Full basements and needed to be for real winter weather.

LA then moved to the mid-century styles as the Ranch-home that became a suburban standard.

Chicago moved to its mid-century newer bungalow/Ranch home/Raised ranch.... They merely moved away from using the bungalow term and new brick look... as a light pale pink brick for bulk and pricier front choices. Luved the tudor styles of the 40s.

They stood up to stand today proudly and fronts not changed.

Old 04-02-2022, 07:32 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,028,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town View Post
Why is no one saying San Francisco? Its connected homes are nothing like the Northeast or Europe. Unless some Southern European villas are used

LA and Chicago created their own new American bungalow home for its booming middle-class.

LA 1910 thru 30s did its iconic wood bungalows with its sweeping roofs and porches. Cali style Arts and Crafts/Craftsman.l kind up thru to Seattle and their slant

Chicago the same time did its brick bungalows inspired by Frank Lloyd Wright Prairie-Style Craftsman bungalows as 1/3 the city.

LA then moved to the mid-century styles as the Ranch-home that became a suburban standard.

Chicago moved to its mid-century newer bungalow/Ranch home/Raised ranch.... They merely moved away fro bungalow term and new brick look...
By housing style Boston is super Unique. Triple Deckers are almost exclusively in New England

Old 04-02-2022, 07:38 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,048,872 times
Quote:
Most Unique?

New Orleans

Los Angeles

Vegas

NYC

Miami

Houston

I think a couple cities have the issue where they are influential enough others are kind of just like them.

Providence is like that with Boston. So therefore Boston isn’t unique. (And other towns in New England) Same thing with those auto towns like Lansing, Toledo, Etc and Detroit

Charlotte seems to intentionally imitate Atlanta as well
Don't know nothing about the east coast or mid-west, but except for Houston that looks like a good list.

I would definitely add Honolulu to the list. It is unique.

IF your willing to cross the border I would add....Vancouver, BC.

Salt Lake City. It is a unique cultural city. Yeah, if you don't like the LDS church so don't want to put it on the list.....but it is unique.

And San Francisco.....less so these days, but from the 60's forward a very unique American city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.