Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2022, 05:54 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town View Post
No one is (or should) say.... DC is not unique. Over boasting this a bit.... I might be dead before this all. Just great but ....yeah. it is yet future and a crash or change can alter it over decades.

Many a development has changes, tweeks, architectural changes and as needed still can rule over decades to completion.

This thread is not even in the city vs city forum to see it as a competition.
I was just making a comparison of what downtown CBD development looks like in DC compared to other cities. It’s unique to DC. Development in other city downtowns is skyscrapers. If people think downtown DC buildings look like buildings in downtown NYC, Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia, or Baltimore, that’s news to me. Most people on this website talk about how different those cities downtowns are compared to DC because of the height of buildings. I don’t know…maybe that opinion has changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2022, 06:01 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
I was just making a comparison of what downtown CBD development looks like in DC compared to other cities. It’s unique to DC. Development in other city downtowns is skyscrapers. If people think downtown DC buildings look like buildings in downtown NYC, Chicago, Boston, Philadelphia, or Baltimore, that’s news to me. Most people on this website talk about how different those cities downtowns are compared to DC because of the height of buildings. I don’t know…maybe that opinion has changed.
Naw Downtown DC is different but it has many areas outside of downtown (majority of the city, what makes the city’s unique urban vernacular/soul) that do remind me of those other cities. Downtown DC buildings aren’t fundamentally different than buildings I’ve seen elsewhere except for a few ultra wide Capitol buildings to the far west. What’s different is you’re taking building type I see in Seaport, Fenway, Kendall Square (and Harbor East too I guess) and making a downtown out of just that.

Old 04-04-2022, 07:04 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Naw Downtown DC is different but it has many areas outside of downtown (majority of the city, what makes the city’s unique urban vernacular/soul) that do remind me of those other cities. Downtown DC buildings aren’t fundamentally different than buildings I’ve seen elsewhere except for a few ultra wide Capitol buildings to the far west. What’s different is you’re taking building type I see in Seaport, Fenway, Kendall Square (and Harbor East too I guess) and making a downtown out of just that.
Well, I guess the reason I brought downtown development in DC up is because it’s basically the only city where blocks around Gallery Place/City Center DC will look the same as blocks in Navy Yard, NOMA, Union Market, Buzzard Point, and soon to include Rhode Island Avenue, New York Avenue, and Anacostia. The development style is like weeds, they continue to spread in all directions which in my opinion seems to be unique to DC because every buildings is basically exactly the same height. It’s distinct in my opinion. The lack of variation is what makes it unique.

I mean even Howard University is getting in on the action. This is such a DC look:

Rendering 1

Old 04-04-2022, 11:35 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,597,475 times
Here's my ist

New Orleans
Mobile
Little Rock
Wichita
Boston
Duluth
Santa Fe
Syracuse
Gary
Chattanooga
San Angelo
Richmond
Madison

Old 04-05-2022, 08:45 AM

2,377 posts, read 1,060,700 times
Savannah, GA
Charleston, SC
St Augustine, FL
Washington, DC
New York City
San Francisco
Santa Fe, NM
Las Vegas, NV
New Orleans

Old 04-05-2022, 08:55 AM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Those houses in Baltimore don't even have grass in front of them.

Show me a street in Baltimore that looks like the link you posted at the bottom for DC. I mean, at the very least, they should be painted the same color and be the same height.

As for parkways with trees, I could show you streets in any city with forests around them. That NW DC link could be the suburbs too.
Quote:
Really? That seems so minor but, okay

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.3218...7i16384!8i8192 Here and

This https://www.google.com/maps/@39.2886...7i16384!8i8192

Its just not that different. Like there some difference but its so small in the grand scheme
Quote:
You think those streets look like DC? What street in DC would you mistake for Baltimore if someone showed you?
Last one-

Baltimore: https://www.google.com/maps/@39.3216...7i16384!8i8192

DC: https://www.google.com/maps/@38.8779...7i16384!8i8192

Old 04-05-2022, 09:58 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:
DCs height limit is unique for sure it’s just most of any cities isn’t tall.
There ya go, someone gets it.

Washington's large number of classical government buildings, the planned avenues and intersections, the monuments, statues, the museums, the parks, the Mall, the history, all make DC one of America's most unique cities.

Old 04-05-2022, 09:59 AM

830 posts, read 1,018,673 times
Quote:
And don't forget about Richmond:
https://goo.gl/maps/ZxBDpx81nAJt3xjA6
https://goo.gl/maps/i4kVe7mwwWZq6zuY6
https://goo.gl/maps/SNwsPRPQfks9DZQ37 | https://goo.gl/maps/eygUkwmRqLC5VM4D8

Old 04-05-2022, 10:10 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,683,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Have you ever been to Charleston or Savannah? If the question is "most original", both surely belong on the list. They both predate the Nation - how much more original can you get?
Most cities on the east coast, and along the Mississippi River predate the country.

Old 04-05-2022, 10:39 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,683,919 times
My take away from reading these pages is that NO city in the USA is unique.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.