Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2022, 03:03 PM

13,727 posts, read 15,751,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
https://www.dcpolicycenter.org/publi...orn-residents/

Less than 30% of DC adults are born in DC. its definitely no one but yea. It's pretty damn transient and takes influences from a lot of places due to its geographic location and role as the nation's capital.

about 24% (but dropping) of DC are black people born in DC, certainly not no one.

Data is from 2017
People in Prince George's County and Washington D.C. are pretty interchangeable. That has been the case since Black flight began in the 1960's after the 1968 riots that decimated the commercial corridors in the Black communities around the city. People come and go freely, and the culture is the same for those that do. That's why many people in the DMV call Prince Geore's County Ward 9 of DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2022, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Ummm YES. I mistake those streets and I live here...idk what to ll you-i think you're being a little unreasonable about this point.
Maybe I'm so familiar with both cities that I could never mistake them. To your point, I have met people that think Atlanta is more urban than DC so you're correct that the average joe has very different ideas of what they pay attention to when looking at streets.

Old 04-04-2022, 03:17 PM

663 posts, read 306,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
This is what I mean:

This is Philadelphia

This is Boston

Now show something similar in DC.

Boston, Philadelphia, and Baltimore are much older cities than DC. They share similarities because of when they were built. It is no different than comparing sunbelt cities developed after the automobile to northeast cities developed for the horse and buggy.
Repped you by mistake for claiming Philly and Boston cores offer basically the same Colonial alleys as in a simpleton as I cannot tell many apart. All probably not.

Sure we can cherry pick a straight one in the downtown region Boston.

But many of these Boston Colonial or near eras of cobblestone streets wind like Beacon Hill. They can incline a bit and down too. That IS NOT the first gridded city which is Center City Philadelphia.

Even I can easily tell if it curves or a incline .... it is not a Philadelphia Center City Colonial street.

Both work for original cities though with roots more fully adopted or adapted from the UK styles of previous eras of earlier history. There can be others.

Baltimore housing in neighborhoods housing tend to be similar to Philly. Baltimore tends to have neighborhood streets wider. Main ones both fairly wide.

If solid rows have a more set-back look? I lean it is Baltimore also.

Clearly I see Boston moving from rows to triple-deckers and others has more uniqueness. My stereotyping of Boston was a more full row-home city. Parts clearly are. A large portion is not. You do learn this and lacking a grid is more unique in America. Cobblestone ones are pretty limited.

What about some of the pictures in this link? Could some be confused for Philly or Boston?

https://techsavvymama.com/2019/03/th...ington-dc.html

There is this one in that link.

https://i0.wp.com/techsavvymama.com/...g?w=1499&ssl=1

This one.

Even this could be a Philly outside of Center City main street of some neighborhood.

https://i0.wp.com/techsavvymama.com/...g?w=1999&ssl=1

Never say never or dare as if no exceptions.

Old 04-04-2022, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town View Post
Repped you by mistake for claiming Philly and Boston cores offer basically the same Colonial alleys as in a simpleton as I cannot tell many apart. All probably not.

Sure we can cherry pick a straight one in the downtown region Boston.

But many of these Boston Colonial or near eras of cobblestone streets wind like Beacon Hill. They can incline a bit and down too. That IS NOT the first gridded city which is Center City Philadelphia.

Even I can easily tell if it curves or a incline .... it is not a Philadelphia Center City Colonial street.

Both work for original cities though with roots more fully adopted or adapted from the UK styles of previous eras of earlier history. There can be others.

Baltimore housing in neighborhoods housing tend to be similar to Philly. Baltimore tends to have neighborhood streets wider. Main ones both fairly wide.

If solid rows have a more set-back look? I lean it is Baltimore also.

Clearly I see Boston moving from rows to triple-deckers and others has more uniqueness. My stereotyping of Boston was a more full row-home city. Parts clearly are. A large portion is not. You do learn this and lacking a grid is more unique in America. Cobblestone ones are pretty limited.

What about some of the pictures in this link? Could some be confused for Philly or Boston?

https://techsavvymama.com/2019/03/th...ington-dc.html

There is this one in that link.

This one.

Even this could be a Philly outside of Center City main street of some neighborhood.

https://i0.wp.com/techsavvymama.com/...g?w=1999&ssl=1

Never say never or dare as if no exceptions.
I think what gives DC away is the width of streets compared to the others. There are always exceptions, but I think DC is one of the hardest to replicate in films because downtown DC is all the same height so you can’t really show anything downtown or it gives the city away.

Also, the traffic circles and diagonal avenues.

Could you film an entire film in DC and say it took place in Philadelphia, Boston, or Baltimore? How would you show their downtowns?

Old 04-04-2022, 03:38 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Philadelphia center city streets and streets in general are far more narrow and gridded than Bostons. Giving Philly long straight sight lines and urban canyons whereas Boston is more of a claustrophobic maze of buildings. Aside from that their downtowns are very similar.

Old 04-04-2022, 03:41 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
I think what gives DC away is the width of streets compared to the others. There are always exceptions, but I think DC is one of the hardest to replicate in films because downtown DC is all the same height so you can’t really show anything downtown or it gives the city away.

Also, the traffic circles and diagonal avenues.

Could you film an entire film in DC and say it took place in Philadelphia, Boston, or Baltimore? How would you show their downtowns?
You know they use establishing shots for wide shots. They don’t just show a shot across the Charles from Cambridge and pretend it’s New York.

What they would do is take a shot of DT DC. Shoot street scenes on like Boylston or something. Having the housing be in the South End and literally nobody outside of Boston or DC would know the difference.

Same thing but vice versa. Done street near DuPont Circle would be Newbury Street or whatever.

Toronto looks nothing like New York and Vancouver even less so and they sub in all the time.

Pittsburgh has about 600 linear feet of streetscape that looks New York like and that was enough for an entire movie

Old 04-04-2022, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
You know they use establishing shots for wide shots. They don’t just show a shot across the Charles from Cambridge and pretend it’s New York.

What they would do is take a shot of DT DC. Shoot street scenes on like Boylston or something. Having the housing be in the South End and literally nobody outside of Boston or DC would know the difference.

Same thing but vice versa. Done street near DuPont Circle would be Newbury Street or whatever.

Toronto looks nothing like New York and Vancouver even less so and they sub in all the time.

Pittsburgh has about 600 linear feet of streetscape that looks New York like and that was enough for an entire movie
True, but I think you see Philadelphia, Baltimore, and other cities standing in for DC way more than DC standing in for cities. People who haven't been to DC don't know the difference when they use cities to stand in for DC, but DC can't stand in for any shot showing the urban canyons of Center City, downtown Boston, downtown or midtown NYC, downtown Chicago, downtown Baltimore, etc. etc. etc.

I think that makes DC unique, but like I admitted prior, the average Joe wouldn't know the difference from one street to the next when comparing cities. The only thing they would notice is the absence of skyscrapers.

Old 04-04-2022, 04:03 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
DCs height limit is unique for sure it’s just most of any cities isn’t tall.

Old 04-04-2022, 04:20 PM

Quote:
DCs height limit is unique for sure it’s just most of any cities isn’t tall.
I think it will make DC more unique over time. As other cities build vertical in the same footprint for the most part, DC is expanding outward. Driving around DC already feels different today going from Union Market, to NOMA, to Northwest One, to Mt. Vernon Triangle, to City Center/Penn Quarter, to Midtown/Logan Circle, to Dupont Circle, to Foggy Bottom/Westend. The urban feel has an endless feeling. When New York Avenue is added to the end of Union Market, I don't think any city will be anything like it.

DC’s Plan to Build 33,000 Housing Units on New York Avenue by 2043

Can you really say a walk through that would feel anything like anywhere else in America? It's a different kind of urban built environment. The buildings don't cast shadows, the street network doesn't really include many rowhomes, and the first-floor retail square footage is expansive.

Old 04-04-2022, 04:27 PM

663 posts, read 306,036 times
Quote:
I think it will make DC more unique over time. As other cities build vertical in the same footprint for the most part, DC is expanding outward. Driving around DC already feels different today going from Union Market, to NOMA, to Northwest One, to Mt. Vernon Triangle, to City Center/Penn Quarter, to Midtown/Logan Circle, to Dupont Circle, to Foggy Bottom/Westend. The urban feel has an endless feeling. When New York Avenue is added to the end of Union Market, I don't think any city will be anything like it.

DC’s Plan to Build 33,000 Housing Units on New York Avenue by 2043

Can you really say a walk through that would feel anything like anywhere else in America? It's a different kind of urban built environment. The buildings don't cast shadows, the street network doesn't really include many rowhomes, and the first-floor retail square footage is expansive.
No one is (or should) say.... DC is not unique. Over boasting this a bit.... I might be dead before this all. Just great but ....yeah. it is yet future and a crash or change can alter it over decades.

Many a development has changes, tweeks, architectural changes and as needed still can rule over decades to completion.

This thread is not even in the city vs city forum to see it as a competition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.