Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2023, 01:00 PM

12,161 posts, read 7,997,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston Shudra View Post
I don’t think this is true. If anything, much of Boston proper is underserved by transit compared to the cities just north and west of it.
Il second this. I think Chicago is higher than Boston.

Boston has lazily handled population growth and transit since at least the 70s. There should be at least two more rapid transit rail lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2023, 03:55 AM

1,706 posts, read 1,149,613 times
In my opinion, Nashville, Tennessee is a true gem. Lots to do, low cost of living, nice people.

Old 09-28-2023, 08:34 PM

85 posts, read 113,564 times
Pittsburgh is an underrated gem.

Old 09-29-2023, 05:44 AM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Boston has higher ridership due to:

1. Much higher job concentration in the city/core between Boston/Cambridge; commuting out of the city (by car) for employment is more common in the Philly region.

2. More of a "multi-nodal" nature compared to Philly's more centralized core, for which walking is honestly more efficient for many trips in/around Center City.

But ridership is also only one factor. I tried to compile a simple comparison of rapid transit infrastructure earlier but did not have the time to complete it.

Taking into account SEPTA's subway, trolley, Norristown high-speed line + PATCO's heavy rail line, it appeared that Philly had around double the track miles for all rapid transit modes compared to Boston's T, although Boston may have had an edge in the number of stations (although that's not the same as "stops," either).

We can quibble about ridership and how much transit it used, but at the end of the day Philly still does at least have a proportionate scope of rapid transit infrastructure to Boston. That obviously counts for something.
I’d like to point out on exclusively infrastructure, Dallas surpasses both these cities in Rapid Transit miles and umm, isn’t considered very urban.

Old 09-30-2023, 03:54 AM

1,272 posts, read 2,181,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
Baltimore has way more healthy core neighborhoods than St. Louis, Milwaukee, Detroit or Cleveland. But on the flip side it also has way rougher hoods so there is a much more drastic dichotomy on a city wide scale and people tend to fixate on the bad rather than the good hence it’s “image” issues.

Go up the food chain and Philly & Chicago get the same bad rap compared to a cities like DC or SF.
What makes you think Baltimore has way more healthier neighborhoods than St. Louis, Milwaukee, Detroit or Cleveland? Also, what makes you think that Baltimore has "rougher hoods" than St. Louis or Detroit?

Old 09-30-2023, 12:04 PM

457 posts, read 349,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
What makes you think Baltimore has way more healthier neighborhoods than St. Louis, Milwaukee, Detroit or Cleveland? Also, what makes you think that Baltimore has "rougher hoods" than St. Louis or Detroit?
Good call. Trying to figure out how Milwaukee got lumped in with St. Louis, Cleveland, and Detroit here. Sure it's dealing with stagnation right now, and it sure ain't Mayberry. But it has NEVER suffered the same internal declines of Detroit, St. Louis or Cleveland. Pretty much all of it's core neighborhoods are either preserved or gentrified. Not to mention Milwaukee is expansively walkable and urban in a way that most folks on city-data are not aware. It may be the most underrated city on here. I have a hard time thinking Baltimore(specifically in it's current state) out performs Milwaukee in any core metric. Perhaps the quoted poster doesn't have any on the ground experience in MKE?

Last edited by Landolakes90; 09-30-2023 at 12:22 PM..

Old 09-30-2023, 02:03 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,181,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landolakes90 View Post
Good call. Trying to figure out how Milwaukee got lumped in with St. Louis, Cleveland, and Detroit here. Sure it's dealing with stagnation right now, and it sure ain't Mayberry. But it has NEVER suffered the same internal declines of Detroit, St. Louis or Cleveland. Pretty much all of it's core neighborhoods are either preserved or gentrified. Not to mention Milwaukee is expansively walkable and urban in a way that most folks on city-data are not aware. It may be the most underrated city on here. I have a hard time thinking Baltimore(specifically in it's current state) out performs Milwaukee in any core metric. Perhaps the quoted poster doesn't have any on the ground experience in MKE?
I don't think people have any experience with a lot of cities. A big misconception about St. Louis is that it is a totally bombed out Rust Belt city with no intact or wealthy neighborhoods and that couldn't be further from the truth. I just found it interesting that the poster used Baltimore to beat up on the other cities, when there are metrics that the other cities are either competitive on or having better outcomes that Baltimore. For example, St. Louis has a more successful light rail system with higher ridership, despite Baltimore being objectively denser. St. Louis is also has only like 1% less bachelor's degrees on a metropolitan area despite Baltimore being on the heavily educated BosWash corridor in a state that is way more pro education than Missouri.

Old 09-30-2023, 03:12 PM

830 posts, read 451,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post
In my opinion, Nashville, Tennessee is a true gem. Lots to do, low cost of living, nice people.
Good amount to do but cost of living certainly isn’t low anymore and I wouldn’t really describe much of Nashville as urban.

Old 09-30-2023, 04:00 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
Don't know if anyone has mentioned Rochester New York in this thread. The downtown portion of this city flies under the radar.

Old 09-30-2023, 06:06 PM

211 posts, read 119,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landolakes90 View Post
Yeah I’m a good day the east side of Milwaukee can feel a little bit like a smaller less dense San Francisco. It’s very nice and walkable with great food and some solid scenery (the bluffs. Lake Michigan. Atwater beach. It’s lighthouse. It’s park system along the lake and along the river. It’s nice compact downtown with the third ward. It’s solid bus system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.