Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2023, 03:26 PM

12,866 posts, read 9,615,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Judging by the charts, seems the whole country loves country
Texas and Oklahoma leading the charge

https://www.benvaughn.com/the-popula...%20and%20Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2023, 03:30 PM

2,386 posts, read 1,866,749 times
North Carolina is 100% the south. Have you ever heard of NASCAR?

Old 06-16-2023, 03:45 PM

2,262 posts, read 2,407,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
North Carolina is 100% the south. Have you ever heard of NASCAR?
Oh, yeah. I completely forgot about that.

Old 06-16-2023, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Before you get into the North (broadly free) of Southern influence you’re in like Connecticut.

So it’s totally unreasonable to consider VA not southern and doubtful to exclude MD.

People have this inverse 1 drop rule for the South for some reason
Yeah people are clamouring to remove places from the south for any reason, and it is usually based on sterotypes. I guess because the South as a concept is seen as so irredeemably backwards to some that it's not allowed to change in any way without revoking it's southernness to some people. It's like if you stopped considering Rhode Island to be the Northeast because not enough people there are working in textile mills anymore.

People can live in Kendall square or the South End and barely ever heard a Boston accent, but no one bats an eye about that. But if they move to Charlotte and don't hear a drawl every 5 minutes they might as well be in Michigan

Old 06-18-2023, 09:51 AM

467 posts, read 429,660 times
Quote:
Yeah people are clamouring to remove places from the south for any reason, and it is usually based on sterotypes. I guess because the South as a concept is seen as so irredeemably backwards to some that it's not allowed to change in any way without revoking it's southernness to some people. It's like if you stopped considering Rhode Island to be the Northeast because not enough people there are working in textile mills anymore.

People can live in Kendall square or the South End and barely ever heard a Boston accent, but no one bats an eye about that. But if they move to Charlotte and don't hear a drawl every 5 minutes they might as well be in Michigan
You said it much better than I ever could have. This is what it really boils down to… but some are either unable to see past their own internal biases and prejudices about what the South is/can be, and/or are trying to insinuate that any changes to the South are somehow owed to any other specific region to the point of completely dissociating the South from itself.

Old 06-18-2023, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Unless you are defining NY as being in New England or you are saying it is it’s own region, I don’t see how anyone can get around NYC being mid-Atlantic.
I'm sure this angered quite a few people, but most people consider New York in the Mid-Atlantic with.....wait for it........gasp........Virginia!!

Actually saw a few with NC included in the mid Atlantic.

Old 06-18-2023, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I'm sure this angered quite a few people, but most people consider New York in the Mid-Atlantic with.....wait for it........gasp........Virginia!!

I would delete that first map since it's too wacky to be serious. first and foremost it doesn't put NY into the mid-atlantic so it doesn't help your point. it also doesn't put NEW JERSEY in the mid atlantic which is the quintessential mid-atlantic state. It puts Louisiana in the southwest ... that's a first. Arkansas southwest, Utah in the midwest... yeah I mean comeon man

Old 06-18-2023, 12:26 PM

Quote:
I would delete that first map since it's too wacky to be serious. first and foremost it doesn't put NY into the mid-atlantic so it doesn't help your point. it also doesn't put NEW JERSEY in the mid atlantic which is the quintessential mid-atlantic state. It puts Louisiana in the southwest ... that's a first. Arkansas southwest, Utah in the midwest... yeah I mean comeon man
Ha! You're right! Won't delete though, integrity.

Here's Wiki, though that's not official and it also calls Virginia a part of the SE and New York a part of the NE:

Old 06-18-2023, 12:36 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,826,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post

The problem isn't that Virginia (or even NC) is included in the mid- Atlantic. The problem is people thinking the Mid-Atlantic is more or less northeast and not southern.

These categories lose significance by the day

Old 06-18-2023, 01:08 PM

4,844 posts, read 6,115,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
I don’t understand the last post. In what way is Richmond “closer” to Charleston and Mobile? Are you speaking geographically or culturally?

Geographically Richmond is closer to Boston than Atlanta. It’s closer to Philadelphia than Charlotte. It’s closer to Baltimore than Raleigh. New York City is 100 miles closer to Richmond than Charleston SC. If you’re alluding to culture, I do think New York without New York City is more similar to Virginia than Georgia (demographics and architecture). The built form of the rural east coast from NC to MA is pretty indistinguishable state to state. It’s all just Appalachia when you venture west off of 85 and 95. Virginia towns along I 81 could be anywhere in PA or NY. Western Massachusetts looks like West Virginia.
This abstract because your comparing different ages. across regions.

For example Savanah and Charlotte are colonial cities. So in some instance they have more in common with Atlanta or Charlotte. Other instance they will have more in Common with Boston or providence. Colonial architectural "or georgian architecture" Goes down to Georgia. While Mobile Alabama wouldn't have this at all it's history is closer to New Orleans.

So irony is Richmond and Charleston may actually have more in common then do with Mobile AL. This happen because your stereotyping the South as monolithic.

The Same with Appalachian culture, North GA, part North West AL is the end of the Appalachians.

A while ago I was watching a video that went into an old town in West Virginia, and thought to my self that that look like Atlanta. I did some searching the Cabbagetown neighborhood in Atlanta. archecture is similar to what you can find in Appalachian PA, WV, KY, OH.

pennsylvania

Atlanta

West Virginia

West Virginia

West Virginia

Atlanta

Atlanta

This makes sense because Cabbagetown is a mill neighborhood. And Atlanta city is right outside of Appalachia.

Also The layout of Metro Atlanta, North Carolina cities on the piedmont "and Birmingham in part" resembles DC and Northeast more than they do with interior South and Texas. That's because Texas etc take after LA and Chicago with massive into suburbia.

This goes back to what I said earlier NC is not mid Atlantic it's South Atlantic like VA, GA and FL. A combination of East Coast and South. The South is not monolithic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.