Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2023, 11:02 AM

467 posts, read 426,887 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
I think it’s more like Raleigh is connected to Charlotte which is connected to Greenville which is connected to Atlanta. It’s fairly continuous growth along the whole corridor. It’s just dead air between Raleigh and Richmond.
For what it's worth, I think the Piedmont corridor, from Raleigh to Atlanta, contain a lot of shared characteristics.

Geographically, of course, but also as thriving, New South cities with similar development patterns that are continuing to prioritize greater densification and infill of their cores. Geographic distance, as was mentioned, isn't really relevant. Raleigh and Atlanta are infinitely more similar than Raleigh and Philly are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2023, 12:33 PM

2,365 posts, read 1,850,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
I think some people don't think to associated NC and GA, because they view SC as a gap.
The gap is a lie. There isn't any gap. NC and GA are neighboring states,the border is just much smaller than SC and GA. Overall I would say GA actually has more in common with NC than SC, although only slightly. If I had to pick only 2 states to combine approximate Georgia it's Alabama and North Carolina. NC and GA are similar in that they are south atlantic states with centers of gravity far away from the coast. Despite having some of the best beaches on the entire eastern US, I still can't help but think ofNC more as a mountains and piedmont state than a coastal state. SC I thnk of a coastal state, despite also having an inland capital. The capital is more of a fall line region than piedmont region which makes a difference, although it's still close enough to be relevant into the charlotte-Atlanta-Bham corridor. NC coast is interesting that it has the OBX which are awesome and their own thing but most of the mainland coastal areas are very rural undeveloped compared to points north and SC/FL coasts

Old 06-21-2023, 01:02 PM

185 posts, read 127,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
The gap is a lie. There isn't any gap. NC and GA are neighboring states,the border is just much smaller than SC and GA. Overall I would say GA actually has more in common with NC than SC, although only slightly. If I had to pick only 2 states to combine approximate Georgia it's Alabama and North Carolina. NC and GA are similar in that they are south atlantic states with centers of gravity far away from the coast. Despite having some of the best beaches on the entire eastern US, I still can't help but think ofNC more as a mountains and piedmont state than a coastal state. SC I thnk of a coastal state, despite also having an inland capital. The capital is more of a fall line region than piedmont region which makes a difference, although it's still close enough to be relevant into the charlotte-Atlanta-Bham corridor. NC coast is interesting that it has the OBX which are awesome and their own thing but most of the mainland coastal areas are very rural undeveloped compared to points north and SC/FL coasts
So, I guess Virginia and Tennessee are neighboring states, also? They share the same amount of sparesly populated border area as Georgia and North Carolina. I have lived in the Raleigh-Durham area my entire 50+ years of life and I haven't heard anyone say or believe that this area is closey associated with Georgia, particularly Atlanta. Before, there were professional sports team in NC, people here did not support or wear the jerseys of any teams in Atlanta. We have six cities with a population of greater than 200,000 in the state, there is no need for us to feel apart of some greater southern Piedmont region. If, I wanted to visit a major metropolitan region it would definitely be D.C. over Atlanta. Much shorter drive and more to do and see.

Old 06-21-2023, 01:13 PM

6,374 posts, read 5,484,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelTerritory View Post
For what it's worth, I think the Piedmont corridor, from Raleigh to Atlanta, contain a lot of shared characteristics.

Geographically, of course, but also as thriving, New South cities with similar development patterns that are continuing to prioritize greater densification and infill of their cores. Geographic distance, as was mentioned, isn't really relevant. Raleigh and Atlanta are infinitely more similar than Raleigh and Philly are.
Exactly this.

I'd argue the cities/metros along the piedmont crescent are more similar to one another than they are to most of the other areas of their respective states.

In many ways; Greater Charlotte and the The Triangle are more similar to the Greenville (SC), and the Atlanta area than they are to most of the rest of NC. Especially down-east and the mountains.

Obviously there are still much stronger in-state "connections"....and chances are most people in Charlotte and the Triangle spend more time/know more people in Asheville, Wilmington, and more small towns throughout the state....but the overall lifestyle/dynamic is more in-line with the other "Piedmont crescent" cities.

Old 06-21-2023, 01:45 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,841,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackro70 View Post
Before, there were professional sports team in NC, people here did not support or wear the jerseys of any teams in Atlanta.
That’s wrong. We were and are very much Brave nation here.

But in the larger sense, the NC Piedmont cities have strongest ties to each other, and collectively have stronger ties to points south. I’d say Raleigh to Atlanta isn’t a particularly strong pull alone, but honestly Georgia in general definitely looms larger in most people’s minds. Savannah for one is popular for trips. But even a place like Six Flags, no one here even really thinks of the one in Maryland, it’s assumed someone means the one in Atlanta.

Old 06-21-2023, 01:58 PM

Quote:
So, I guess Virginia and Tennessee are neighboring states, also? They share the same amount of sparesly populated border area as Georgia and North Carolina. I have lived in the Raleigh-Durham area my entire 50+ years of life and I haven't heard anyone say or believe that this area is closey associated with Georgia, particularly Atlanta. Before, there were professional sports team in NC, people here did not support or wear the jerseys of any teams in Atlanta. We have six cities with a population of greater than 200,000 in the state, there is no need for us to feel apart of some greater southern Piedmont region. If, I wanted to visit a major metropolitan region it would definitely be D.C. over Atlanta. Much shorter drive and more to do and see.
Of courseVA and TN are neighbors.. I would say NC and GA are significntly closer neighbors than VA and TN overall but of course VA and TN have some similarities too. DC is a bigger and more important city than Atlanta. Raleigh being closer to DC I can understand why you would visit it for the big city experience. If you take the sceneic route instead of I-95 the drive up to DC from there is wonderful too.

Raleigh is on the far side of the state compared to Charlotte and Asheville which do have strong ties to Georgia. Georgians visit those cities constantly and move around between them. I work with loads of people in Charlotte every day. Outings to Asheville are extremely common in the summer. Raeigh is still in the new south mix though. DC is in that mix as well, even though it's less southern and bigger than Raleigh, Charlotte, and Atlanta but it's still in the mix.

I've spoken to multiple people TODAY in my regular life in Atlanta who lived, studied, grew up in the Triangle. I can't seriously believe for one second that Raleigh-Durham has stronger ties to Pittsburgh or Philadelphia than it does to Atlanta. Philly and ATL are about the same distance aswell. Pittsburgh only just slightly further away. And honestly Pittsburgh probably has more in common with Raleigh than Raleigh does with Philly

Old 06-21-2023, 02:03 PM

There was a time if I wanted good sweet tea in DC, I had to go the basement of Union Station. Thankfully the city has seen the Chick-fil-A light the last few years.

Old 06-21-2023, 02:04 PM

185 posts, read 127,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
That’s wrong. We were and are very much Brave nation here.

But in the larger sense, the NC Piedmont cities have strongest ties to each other, and collectively have stronger ties to points south. I’d say Raleigh to Atlanta isn’t a particularly strong pull alone, but honestly Georgia in general definitely looms larger in most people’s minds. Savannah for one is popular for trips. But even a place like Six Flags, no one here even really thinks of the one in Maryland, it’s assumed someone means the one in Atlanta.
I'm here in Raleigh-Durham, I can't remember anytime this year or the last few years that I've seen anyone wear any Atlanta Braves paraphernalia. Support for baseball in this area goes to the triple-A Durham Bulls which is affiliated with the Tampa Devil-Rays. Yes, in the past they did show Braves games via TBS, but not on any local stations. And here we don't think about Six Flags in Atlanta or Maryland, we have Carowinds, Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens.

Old 06-21-2023, 02:16 PM

Quote:
I'm here in Raleigh-Durham, I can't remember anytime this year or the last few years that I've seen anyone wear any Atlanta Braves paraphernalia. Support for baseball in this area goes to the triple-A Durham Bulls which is affiliated with the Tampa Devil-Rays. Yes, in the past they did show Braves games via TBS, but not on any local stations. And here we don't think about Six Flags in Atlanta or Maryland, we have Carowinds, Kings Dominion and Busch Gardens.
Yeah you guys have your own stuff. I don't think anyone saying that Georgia is like suzerain over NC in any way just that the states have a lot in common and moreso than points North. Any place where there's publix is a southern state. Raleigh has them Atlanta has them. They don't go much further north than that. You guys have harris teeter and spread that north to be fair but only to like DC. you don't see them up in Philly. Atlanta doesn't have them I guess we got Kroger

Old 06-21-2023, 02:26 PM

Yes, those three are the closest theme parks. Nortel used to rent out King’s Dominion or Carowinds for family day’s in the 90s. But if looking for somewhere different and not Disney prices, Six Flags was the main alternative, and that invariably meant the Atlanta one.

But also the Bulls were longtime affiliates of the Braves (and the Mudcats were later for a few years). The Triangle got pushed into the Nationals area when they were founded, but most bars will have the Braves game on simply because it’s good business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.