Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2023, 02:34 PM

185 posts, read 127,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
Yeah you guys have your own stuff. I don't think anyone saying that Georgia is like suzerain over NC in any way just that the states have a lot in common and moreso than points North. Any place where there's publix is a southern state. Raleigh has them Atlanta has them. They don't go much further north than that. You guys have harris teeter and spread that north to be fair but only to like DC. you don't see them up in Philly. Atlanta doesn't have them I guess we got Kroger
But, we do have Wegmans. And, that goes from Massachusetts to Raleigh-Durham, but no further south. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2023, 03:26 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,101,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackro70 View Post
I live in the Raleigh-Durham area and have made many trips to Atlanta during my lifetime and I've never felt the two areas are connected via a "little piedmont" area. The distance between the two areas is too great to feel any connection. The distance from the Triangle to Atlanta is the same distance as from the Triangle to Philadelphia. And there is definitely no connection between these two areas. In the Triangle we do feel a connection with the Triad and Charlotte via I-85. But, that's the extent of connection to any other metro areas. But, I do think Atanta has some connection to Greenville SC via I-85 and Birmingham via I-20.
There clearly a connection, it's like saying Boston isn't connected with DC because the distance is great that ignores the BosWosh corridor and the connected culture of the Northeast. Raleigh to Atlanta is basically a less dense version of that.

Raleigh-Durham area connects to Greensboro/Winston-Salem
Greensboro, Winston-Salem connects to Charlotte
Charlotte Connects to Greenville/Upstate SC.
Greenville/Upstate SC to Atlanta CSA.

A said little Piedmont area is because this area is small compare to the vastness of the country. This actually only 1/3 of the piedmont region. There a Giant gap north Raleigh-Durham disconnecting it from the Virginia cities. like Richmond on piedmont. There even a large gap between Raleigh and the Hampton Roads areas. Atlanta and Birmingham are close by there actually a national forest between them. "Talladega National Forest" Historically Atlanta and Birmingham were similar but Birmingham is also not growing the way Atlanta - Raleigh is. If anything Chattanooga is more connected.

For example someone mention NC Hispanics population GA is actually ranked 8th, NC is 12th. AL is 32nd.

You feel NC cities are connected and Atlanta/Greenville SC are connected but ignore Charlotte is on the bolder with SC, and about 40% it's metro is actually in SC? Charlotte connects with Greenville.

I grew up mainly back and forth between mainly Atlanta and DFW but I stayed in the Charlotte area "concord/kannapolis" for a bout 2 years. The ways cities and suburbs are development with in the forest in overtly similar and distinctive from other regions in the country.

If I did not tell you what suburb is from where, you would have no idea for example.

Raleigh

Atlanta

Raleigh

Atlanta

Raleigh

Atlanta

Raleigh

Atlanta

To Florida, The Midwest, Cali, Texas etc that's overtly different from there regions. There some similarity with the northeast but Northeast razed for more forest for development, is generally less hilly. And less variety of common yards sizes.

The Sunbelt has 3 southern boom areas 1. The Florida peninsula, 2. Texas Triangle, and The Piedmont. The only exception to this Nashville, SC coast, maybe East TN, and Huntsville. But Most of south is actually growing slow, Louisiana is even declining. This makes The Florida peninsula, Texas Triangle, The Piedmont distinct areas in the South, for there urbanization, rapid growth, and diversity.

For sake of comparing here there the other Southern Belt areas you can tell it's not piedmont Sunbelt cities.

DFW

Houston

------

Miami

Tampa

The geography, architecture, the yards, the ways are develop with in the area is distinctive.

A lot of stuff stated in this thread to say NC isn't the South but mid Atlantic ironically is only stating it's in the piedmont region with the South Atlantic of the Southern Sunbelt. The Mid Atlantic is not even the Sun belt.

Old 06-21-2023, 04:49 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,847,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
There clearly a connection, it's like saying Boston isn't connected with DC because the distance is great that ignores the BosWosh corridor and the connected culture of the Northeast. Raleigh to Atlanta is basically a less dense version of that.

A said little Piedmont area is because this area is small compare to the vastness of the country. This actually only 1/3 of the piedmont region. There a Giant gap north Raleigh-Durham disconnecting it from the Virginia cities. like Richmond on piedmont. There even a large gap between Raleigh and the Hampton Roads areas. Atlanta and Birmingham are close by there actually a national forest between them. "Talladega National Forest" Historically Atlanta and Birmingham were similar but Birmingham is also not growing the way Atlanta - Raleigh is. If anything Chattanooga is more connected.

For example someone mention NC Hispanics population GA is actually ranked 8th, NC is 12th. AL is 32nd.

You feel NC cities are connected and Atlanta/Greenville SC are connected but ignore Charlotte is on the bolder with SC, and about 40% it's metro is actually in SC? Charlotte connects with Greenville.

I grew up mainly back and forth between mainly Atlanta and DFW but I stayed in the Charlotte area "concord/kannapolis" for a bout 2 years. The ways cities and suburbs are development with in the forest in overtly similar and distinctive from other regions in the country.

If I did not tell you what suburb is from where, you would have no idea for example.

Raleigh

Atlanta

Raleigh

Atlanta

Raleigh

Atlanta

Raleigh

Atlanta

To Florida, The Midwest, Cali, Texas etc that's overtly different from there regions. There some similarity with the northeast but Northeast razed for more forest for development, is generally less hilly. And less variety of common yards sizes.

The Sunbelt has 3 southern boom areas 1. The Florida peninsula, 2. Texas Triangle, and The Piedmont. The only exception to this Nashville, SC coast, maybe East TN, and Huntsville. But Most of south is actually growing slow, Louisiana is even declining. This makes The Florida peninsula, Texas Triangle, The Piedmont distinct areas in the South, for there urbanization, rapid growth, and diversity.

For sake of comparing here there the other Southern Belt areas you can tell it's not piedmont Sunbelt cities.

DFW

Houston

------

Miami

Tampa

The geography, architecture, the yards, the ways are develop with in the area is distinctive.

A lot of stuff stated in this thread to say NC isn't the South but mid Atlantic ironically is only stating it's in the piedmont region with the South Atlantic of the Southern Sunbelt. The Mid Atlantic is not even the Sun belt.
All the internet points to you.

Old 06-21-2023, 04:58 PM

185 posts, read 127,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post

Raleigh

Atlanta

Raleigh

Atlanta

Raleigh

Atlanta

Raleigh

Atlanta

DFW

Houston

------

Miami

Tampa

It takes me two hours to get from the Triangle to Richmond and three hours to get to Hampton Roads but somehow I should feel more connection to a city six hours away?I went to college in Atlanta and grew up in the Triangle, there were definitely differences in culture. Atlanta has a strong entertainment culture while the Triangle is mostly academic and high tech. I also can find neighborhoods in Nashville that look like neighborhoods in Raleigh but that doesn't mean they are alike. It's ok for areas to be separate and different, I just don't understand the need to connect these two areas together? It doesn't really benefit either.

Old 06-21-2023, 05:14 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,847,570 times
Baltimore is closer to Raleigh than Atlanta is. Google maps is really not the best way to decide some things.

Old 06-21-2023, 08:22 PM

467 posts, read 427,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
All the internet points to you.
^^ Much deserved!

Old 06-21-2023, 11:12 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,101,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackro70 View Post
It takes me two hours to get from the Triangle to Richmond and three hours to get to Hampton Roads but somehow I should feel more connection to a city six hours away?I went to college in Atlanta and grew up in the Triangle, there were definitely differences in culture. Atlanta has a strong entertainment culture while the Triangle is mostly academic and high tech. I also can find neighborhoods in Nashville that look like neighborhoods in Raleigh but that doesn't mean they are alike. It's ok for areas to be separate and different, I just don't understand the need to connect these two areas together? It doesn't really benefit either.
I wasn't just taking about proximity alone but yes that one of factors.

Again Boston is actually slightly further away from DC, than Atlanta is to Raleigh.

From Atlanta to Raleigh there chain of cities, again you can't say Raleigh is connected with Charlotte, And Atlanta is connected with Greenville. As if Greenville and Charlotte isn't connected. Basically Raleigh and Atlanta are opposite ends of the same sub regions.

Charlanta or Piedmont it's referencing the same thing.

bloomberg Charlanta

Raleigh is closer to Norfolk and Richmond are The South but there is also a gap of multi large rural counties between them. There is very little completely Rural counties between Atlanta and Raleigh.

Norfolk and Richmond are also not booming Sunbelt cities Raleigh growth is reflected of the pattern of cities in the piedmont region. I could also into growing diversity.

That's why I posted this early

I pointed out that Nashville an was an exception, Nashville and OKC are the only large Southern belt city that's not in The piedmont, Texas Triangle or Florida peninsula. Nashville is a lot flatter than The piedmont cities. While Nashville forested The piedmont cities have have highest forest density of major metros. As well as Nashville has larger central grid than anything in the piedmont. But outside of that there similarities.

So base on
1. environment
1. Urbanization
2. Population growth
3. Growing Diversity.

Raleigh is clearly in connect in a larger Cultural region as Atlanta on the piedmont. As much you say it doesn't "feels" it factually is. The mid Atlantic is not the Sunbelt.

-----

Also Atlanta is not Las Vegas Atlanta is known for entertainment because it's a larger city in the region. Atlanta economy is diverse logistics, Educations, tech, Food service etc. Raleigh is known specifically for tech and Education because it's smaller and punch above it's weight in those industries.

Old 06-26-2023, 12:46 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho-toot View Post
I don't understand people who say that the "Mid-Atlantic is both Northern AND Southern." To me, it's always been the part of the NORTHeast that isn't New England. So... NY, NJ, PA, DE, MD, WV. It has never been this "hybrid" of north and south. That would just be "East coast" which encompasses Maine down to Florida.

Anyway... NC does not fit that divide. It's fully in the South.
Looks like a few too many states there....

Old 06-26-2023, 03:12 PM

3,734 posts, read 2,558,693 times
Respectfully, this is just another tiresome (ongoing) attempt to erase the South.
First the long established Mason-Dixon was tossed out, so Maryland (supposedly) became Northern.. then the goal posts are moved so only parts of Virginia remain within the South.. now the suggestion comes that North Carolina is the new dividing line.. and may only be marginally Southern.

Eventually we'll be down to a carpetbaggers' map where the South is only (select parts) of Mississippi.

Old 06-27-2023, 09:06 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
My girlfriend is about 45 minutes north of Hendersonville. It's definitely the South with Appalachian flavor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.