Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 09:27 PM

38,867 posts, read 22,854,503 times

Advertisements

How funny that I noticed this thread first thing when I signed on, because I just got back from shopping at Wal-Mart about 45 minutes ago!

In my city, there is one Wal-Mart store, but I don't shop there, because I don't like the particular layout of that store, so my Wal-Mart store of choice is the one in Long Beach, about five miles away from my home. The other one I go to occasionally is in Cerritos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 09:39 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,498,822 times
too damn many... 4 of them, all super centers... population only 160k...

Old 03-01-2009, 10:27 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,709,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
I think you are way off with your post. While some strippers are into drugs and some have been abused, most aren't like that. I have known people that worked as doormen at a few of these clubs and many places will fire you if you use drugs.
But back to wal mart. I think our city has one, but it may be in a suburb. Its right by the border. One is one too many in my eyes. I'd never shop at these trashy garbage products & food filled stores. I'll pay more to eat healthy.
Yes they are. Trust me, I know of what I speak. Most doorman are either dealing the drugs and/or coping them and almost all of them are messing around with the strippers or trying to pimp them out. It's a really broken lifestyle.

Back on topic as well, my wife and I split our grocery shopping 50/50 between Whole foods and Walmart. Our local Walmart is stocking more and more organic products.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
The idea of a strip club is not inherently abusive. Abuse is not a pre-requisite to becoming a stripper, causation /= correlation, however it needs to be put. it is entirely possible(and common) to have a strip club with women working there simply because it's great pay for low requirements outside looks.

OTOH, the idea of being able to make the product cheaper buy buying from cheaper sources and paying less pretty much go hand in hand. WalMart could not exist without cheap labour, strip clubs could exist without abuse.

But, you saying that I don't care about abused women because I don't disagree with the idea of strip clubs and some women who work at them happens to be abused is a malicious bait and switch.
In my opinion, your priorities are backwards. Just sayin'.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
I live about 40 miles from the nearest WM. Okay, I live about 40 miles from the nearest traffic light, Dunkin Donuts and McDonald's, too.
Where do you shop?

Old 03-01-2009, 10:34 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,435,497 times
There are none in my suburban city with a population of 98,000. There are two Target stores though.

There are three Walmarts in the Southern Orange County area with a population of around 550,000. One is in Lake Forest, one in Laguna Niguel, and one in San Clemente.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:44 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,713,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Yes they are. Trust me, I know of what I speak. Most doorman are either dealing the drugs and/or coping them and almost all of them are messing around with the strippers or trying to pimp them out. It's a really broken lifestyle.
Do you have any statistics to support this?
And about the organic foods at wal mart. I have been reading articles about wal mart wanting to lower the standards for organic foods. I'll try to find a link.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:45 AM

1,137 posts, read 2,280,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
I shouldn't be answering for the other person, but I would speculate because it's unethical. Wal-Mart is the worst of the big box stores and it's bad news for communities both here and across the globe where its products are manufactured, for suppliers (Wal-Mart uses strongarm leveraging techniques to get those lower prices), and for employees. It's just one of those all-around bad, typical, do-anything-to-make-a-buck American corporations.
You got it bud!

Old 03-02-2009, 08:27 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,531,941 times
We probably have 10 and a number of the neighborhood markets.

I shop there and have no problem saying it.

I have a budget that only I am resposible for and I'll take my money that I earned to where I get the most for it.
The $$ I save there gets put back in the economy elsewhere.

It's just that simple.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:37 AM

2,716 posts, read 6,894,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali's Grandma View Post
We probably have 10 and a number of the neighborhood markets.

I shop there and have no problem saying it.

I have a budget that only I am resposible for and I'll take my money that I earned to where I get the most for it.
The $$ I save there gets put back in the economy elsewhere.

It's just that simple.
I’m not criticizing you at all for shopping there, millions of Americans do. But, the money you save there, yes it goes back into the economy. But what about all the money you spend there?

The money you spend at Wal-Marts has a much lower local economic return value than at many other shopping outlets. That's mainly because of limiting vendors profit margins (through strong arm techniques as mentioned above) and outsourcing.

I have no room to talk though, as I shop at Sam’s because they have VERY good steaks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.