Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 08:09 AM

3,844 posts, read 9,287,370 times

Advertisements

Buffalo, NY has got to be in the top 3 in the country.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 02:19 PM

2,957 posts, read 6,476,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionguy View Post
Don't you think SF's is more like a State Capitol though?
Not really b/c I think it looks nicer than CA's capitol building (and I'm probably a little biased since its the main/original city hall building I've been exposed to). But I can see why you'd say that.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:40 PM

7,271 posts, read 10,601,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman650 View Post
I second that! Although Philly's is really nice too, I just don't personally find it as aesthetically pleasing. Somehow the tower appears a bit awkward to me in relation to the rest of the building. SF's looks just as regal in my eyes, yet more balanced.
Although everyone's entitled to their opinion, I simply disagree -- although we all have our biases.

The tower was actually designed, in its inception, to serve as the highest point in the city -- making it tied only recently for the tallest masonry building in the world. While San Francisco's city hall is indeed regal and well-designed, I agree with another poster in that it would be more fitting as a state capital building.

I also find Philadelphia's city hall so intriguing because it is literally smack dab in the center of the city, serving as the core of the CBD at the intersection of two of Philly's main thoroughfares: Broad & Market Streets. That is something that I have not seen in any other city I've visited, and it makes for a very unique focal point.

The green dot represents city hall:

BLOG.JOANHAUSRATH.COM

Last edited by Duderino; 06-09-2009 at 03:08 PM..

Old 06-09-2009, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Although everyone's entitled to their opinion, I simply disagree -- although we all have our biases.

The tower was actually designed, in its inception, to serve as the highest point in the city -- making it tied only recently for the tallest masonry building in the world. While San Francisco's city hall is indeed regal and well-designed, I agree with another poster in that it would be more fitting as a state capitol building.

I also find Philadelphia's city hall so intriguing because it is literally smack dab in the center of the city, serving as the core of the CBD at the intersection of two of Philly's main thoroughfares: Broad & Market Streets. That is something that I have not seen in any other city I've visited, and it makes for a very unique focal point.

The green dot represents city hall:

BLOG.JOANHAUSRATH.COM
Interesting, that's good to know. And to be fair, I was only going off pictures; I unfortunately have not made it out to Philly yet and haven't seen it up close. So my opinion is not all that qualified to begin with.

Old 06-09-2009, 03:26 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
it's central location is part of what makes it great

also the base is pretty large - here is a different angle that shows a bit more the size of the building and how it fits into the city

http://i.infoplease.com/images/phila...-city-hall.jpg
http://www.american-architecture.inf...heast/001b.jpg

the 100 years ago view

wikimedia

the following shows how the openings lead into a courtyard inside city hall

it's a very active building being right in the middle of the city, open to pedestrian traffic and is the cross of the two major streets (and both subway lines)

Last edited by JMT; 09-10-2021 at 08:44 AM..

Old 06-09-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
it's central location is part of what makes it great

also the base is pretty large - here is a different angle that shows a bit more the size of the building and how it fits into the city

the 100 years ago view

the following shows how the openings lead into a courtyard inside city hall

it's a very active building being right in the middle of the city, open to pedestrian traffic and is the cross of the two major streets (and both subway lines)
Okay it definitely looks more impressive in those pics, especially the first one you posted! What an amazing building.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:19 AM

258 posts, read 1,035,309 times
BUFFALO CITY HALL

http://www.buffaloah.com/a/niagSq/65/ext/cityhall1.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2395/...171162.jpg?v=0

Last edited by JMT; 09-10-2021 at 08:44 AM..

Old 09-08-2021, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,142 times
Default Milwaukee!

http://<u>http://www.arthurchandler....-city-hall</u>
Really good images on the page above. Thread tools for URL's and images are broken or primitive so you must highlight and right-click to navigate to the page. I don't know how anybody posts images here.

Old 09-10-2021, 07:33 AM

201 posts, read 220,201 times
St. Louis and Philadelphia

Old 09-10-2021, 07:45 AM

824 posts, read 713,771 times
I think Buffalo, St. Louis, and Milwaukee have probably the best looking ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.