Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2021, 02:50 AM

6,383 posts, read 5,006,598 times

Advertisements

Tempe, AZ might be my favorite city hall

Columbus, IN obviously has a cool one

St. Joseph, MO's is pretty impressive for the size of city it is

Twin Falls, ID's has kind of a cool design, especially with the light arrangement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2021, 06:44 AM

3,454 posts, read 3,378,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JH Tucson View Post
http://<u>http://www.arthurchandler....-city-hall</u>
Really good images on the page above. Thread tools for URL's and images are broken or primitive so you must highlight and right-click to navigate to the page. I don't know how anybody posts images here.
I've actually been inside the Milwaukee city hall(during Doors Open Milwaukee), and for sure that's one of my VERY favorite looking city halls. Btw, its design was modeled off of such a building in Hamburg, Germany in the 19th century.

I also remember walking by the one in San Francisco, but never got inside that city hall for a look. Maybe someday, I'll finally get inside that one. Would also like to see Philly's city hall, someday. And the St. Louis and Buffalo ones, also look nice. I am going to have to look up pics of the one in Baltimore, since I've seen a few posters mention that one.

Old 09-11-2021, 07:09 AM

809 posts, read 470,029 times
Philly, Kansas City MO, SF - historical; Austin and Seattle for newer; honorable mentions LA and NYC

Smaller cities - Chattanooga, Hartford and New Haven come top of mind among many others (there's some really good civic architecture in the US)

Old 09-11-2021, 08:36 AM

1,044 posts, read 687,051 times
Boston has left the conversation...

Old 09-11-2021, 08:39 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Salt Lake City's is beautiful.

Old 09-11-2021, 10:08 AM

4,609 posts, read 3,003,049 times
Surprising that the L.A. city hall hasn't been mentioned multiple times. It's my nominee!

wikipedia.org/wiki/Los_Angeles_City_Hall#/media/File:Los_Angeles_City_Hall_2013.jpg

Last edited by NW4me; 09-11-2021 at 10:39 AM..

Old 09-11-2021, 11:47 AM

2,236 posts, read 1,122,273 times
San Francisco and Buffalo

Old 09-11-2021, 05:34 PM

12,169 posts, read 8,021,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
Yeah its so bad lol

Old 09-12-2021, 07:06 AM

14,183 posts, read 9,075,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Yup you are right, even the Town Hall here in Babylon is bigger. Still not bad for a building finished about 200 years ago. Obvisously the city does not fit all its workers in the building, lol. Alot of them are in the Civic Center --- especially the Municipal Building. The City Hall pretty much houses Mayor Michael Bloomberg and his staff. He sits behind the desk George Washington used when he was President of the United States!
When New York's City Hall was built ~1815, its north facade was made out of a cheaper stone than its other three faces because the city fathers couldn't imagine the city would expand further north of its location on Park Row. (It got refaced when the city did do just that.)

The Municipal Building, which IIRC lies to City Hall's north, was a notorious example of Tammany Hall graft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadstreetexpresstrain View Post
Philadelphia’s city hall was the tallest building in the world for a while, I think until one of my favorite skyscrapers, The Singer building was built in New York City. The Philly city hall is still one of the largest municipal buildings in the world and is still the tallest masonry building in the world. The pictures provided do not give a good impression of its height 549 feet - fifty stories. It was the tallest in the city for years until in 1986 when the gentlemen’s agreement was abolished whereby no buildings taller than it would be allowed. It has an observation deck at the top just below the William Penn statue. Below the building in the subway underground, there are 3 train stations (Broad Street Line - City Hall station / Market Street Line - 15th street station/ Subway Surface Line- 15th street station)
The tower was supposed to be the tallest structure in the world when work began on the "Public Buildings of the City of Philadelphia" in 1871, but by the time the building was finished 30 years later, both the Washington Monument (by six feet, counting the statue of William Penn atop City Hall) and the Eiffel Tower (by 514 feet) had eclipsed it. It is, however, still either the second- or third-tallest masonry tower in the world, and it's also the largest municipal building in the country and one of the largest in the world.

Philadelphia City Hall also served as a symbol of corruption during its construction, thanks to the city's notorious Republican political machine; I believe that the cost to build it ($24 million in 1901) works out to something like $2.2 billion today, which makes it the most expensive city hall ever built in the country. But the reason it took 30 years to complete is because the state commission created to build it kept doling out the money to the city in insufficient amounts to ensure swift progress.

The American Institute of Architects celebrated its 150th anniversary by asking a panel of architects to nominate architecturally significant buildings; 248 of them were then voted on in a public poll to determine which were the most popular buildings in the country. Philadelphia City Hall came in 21st on the AIA's list of "America's Favorite Architecture"; it's the highest-rated municipal building on the list; among government buildings overall, three outrank it: the White House, the U.S. Capitol and the U.S. Supreme Court.*

And the city considered tearing it down on two separate occasions. Noted local architect Paul Philippe Cret proposed removing everything but the tower (and refacing the tower in Art Deco cladding) in 1929, but that idea went nowhere. What saved the building from that fate in 1950, when the city did seriously consider replacing it, was that it would cost too much to demolish it — the city council determined that the cost of demolition would bankrupt the city.

BTW, Broadstreetexpresstrain, being a railfan like me, might be interested to know that the Broad Street Line's City Hall station is located directly beneath the building's southwest corner. (The tunnel doglegs to avoid the City Hall Tower foundation.) It has thick columns and dividing walls (and is thus cramped) because it has to support the weight of all that stone and brick above it. In order to remodel it for handicapped accessibility, it will have to be closed for about two years so that the necessary support structures can be installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
I'm strange: I am one of five people in the country who actually like New Boston City Hall.

If "form follows function," then this particularly brutal piece of Brutalist architecture telegraphs what's going on inside. The big eyebrow over the maw in which you find the building entrance houses the mayor. The row of large windows to this one's left contain the offices of the city council members, and the inverted pyramid on the top contains the city bureaucracy. (Interesting, isn't it, that the bureaucracy reigns supreme above all?)

Some other comments:

• I wonder whether Paul Philippe Cret didn't design Nashville's city hall. It bears passing resemblance to his Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia (1931-35), now owned by Thomas Jefferson University:

Old Federal Reserve Bank Building
Beyond My Ken, CC BY-SA 4.0, via Wikimedia Commons

• I note that both modernist and Depression-era city halls don't get much love here either. Frankly, the modernist city hall in Twin Falls, Idaho, while attractive, leads me to conclude that one reason why is because the modern city halls lack the monumentality of the older ones. But about the only city hall in this group that gets more than one mention so far has been Los Angeles' pyramid-topped skyscraper, which was actually built just before the Depression. So I'm going to give a second vote to Kansas City's Depression-era skyscraper City Hall (1935-37), one of the tallest city halls in the country at 496 feet (520 feet to the top of the spire atop it). Its free 30th-floor observation deck still offers great views of the city.

*San Francisco's City Hall is the second-highest-rated city hall on the list, it comes in at No. 49, one spot above Jefferson's Virginia State Capitol in Richmond. One other government building comes in between the two: the Allegheny County Court House (#35) in Pittsburgh.

Last edited by MarketStEl; 09-12-2021 at 07:40 AM..

Old 09-12-2021, 01:07 PM

4,609 posts, read 3,003,049 times
The OP is probably long gone from CD, but thanks JH Tucson for restarting this thread.

I reiterate my nomination of LA's City Hall as #1. It's also one of the images
that announces LA, just as the Empire State and Chrysler buildings announce NY.

But SF's city hall is great too. It's hard to compare the two when they're so different.
SF City Hall is in the style of a state capitol, but IMO outshines most of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.