Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2008, 11:28 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times

Advertisements

I find this thread so particularly funny. I think "ugly" is really all about taste. The same cities that people have said they find "ugly" -- the industrial/urban cities of the Northeast and Midwest -- I find beautiful. There's so much history and breathtaking architecture that you're honestly tossing out the window by putting these cities in the "ugly" boat, which in my eyes have more beauty in one neighborhood than entire cities in the Sun Belt:

Philadelphia is a perfect example:

Source: Matthew Johnson (phillyskyline.com)

Old 02-22-2008, 12:01 PM

128 posts, read 347,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I find this thread so particularly funny. I think "ugly" is really all about taste. The same cities that people have said they find "ugly" -- the industrial/urban cities of the Northeast and Midwest -- I find beautiful. There's so much history and breathtaking architecture that you're honestly tossing out the window by putting these cities in the "ugly" boat, which in my eyes have more beauty in one neighborhood than entire cities in the Sun Belt:

Philadelphia is a perfect example
Nice pictures of Philadelphia, indeed.

There are certain people on this forum who absolutely can NOT resist (like a bad habit) the opportunity to denigrate cities like Buffalo, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Detroit, Cleveland, etc. -- you know, the "usual" suspects...out of convenience, pure laziness, or unwillingness to consider what may be going good or correctly in any of these cities.

If you read their posts carefully, you will see that they lack originality, repeating the same old tired refrains. Innuendo, one-liners, the worse possible light that can be shed for maximum effect...then they run back to their ratholes to watch the reaction.

Yay for freedom of expression; boo to monotonous, dark-mooded, pessimistic busy-bodies!

LOL

Old 02-22-2008, 12:07 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holloway1010 View Post
Don't even try to compare Mobile to NOLA because Mobile would take a butt whoopin from NOLA any day of the week. I am the first to admit that New Orleans is not that great but it is most certainly better than Mobile.
Mobile is one of the fastest growing cities in the country, and people from all over the US are moving there. New Orleans is the opposite, people are fleeing.

As for the worst US city, I think Detroit would take that title, with Philly and Baltimore following close behind.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:34 PM

7 posts, read 6,279 times
Newburgh,NY. that place makes ugly look decent. It literly looks like a third world country.

Weirton,New Cumberland,east liverpool. depressed

parts of Baltimore are discusting with all the rats and smell. gun shots all night long. It sucked when I lived there

Old 02-22-2008, 02:37 PM

170 posts, read 477,163 times
Dunno about any of the other cities..but you got Newark NJ on the money.

Wait a sec.....what's up with Mobile Alabama? I was there during Marde Gras. I thought it was a blast, there were gorgeous women, and the people were friendly as hell. Ahhh I wish I could do it all again

Old 02-22-2008, 02:42 PM

564 posts, read 1,726,679 times
Detroit. Not even the close proximity to the beautiful suburbs would attract me to live in that city.

Old 02-22-2008, 02:48 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post

Philadelphia is a perfect example
Great pictures! And I agree with you completely. I love older cities with great urban neighborhoods. When people go to cities on vacation and buy post cards, they don't buy post cards of suburbs or strip malls. They buy post cards of downtowns, urban parks, things like that. Even though many of those older cities have a lot of grit and grime, I feel very comfortable in places like Philly, Baltimore, Saint Louis, Cleveland, and Memphis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Mobile is one of the fastest growing cities in the country, and people from all over the US are moving there. New Orleans is the opposite, people are fleeing.

As for the worst US city, I think Detroit would take that title, with Philly and Baltimore following close behind.
I was in Mobile last year, and I was surprised at how nice it was. However, let's not get carried away. It is actually one of the slowest-growing cities in the country. The entire Mobile metro area went from 399,800 in 2000 to 404,100 in 2006. It is, by far, the slowest-growing metro area in Alabama (which is saying something).

Old 02-22-2008, 05:16 PM

9 posts, read 30,116 times
Originally Posted by KerrTown
New York City--too dirty, run-down, and deteriorating (the Tappan Zee Bridge was very old but I didn't know it was the most likely victim of another bridge collapse). On the ground the buildings are nondescript. The skyline is also nondescript with the lack of color. Ugly apartment buildings stick out between the landmarks. Why do the landmark skyscrapers have to be some sort of beige?

WOW - have you ever been to NY??

Old 02-22-2008, 05:26 PM

9 posts, read 30,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapin2212 View Post
The Usual List!

1. Detroit
2. Philadelphia
3. Baltimore
4. Newark-Atlantic City-Bayonne-Jersey City-Union City-Elizabeth-Patterson-Camden (the New Jersey dump)

5. Buffalo
6. Pittsburgh
7. Cleveland
8. New York City (jumbled mess, and mostly ghetto outside of Midtown and Lower Manhattan, overpriced, no greenery except Central Park)

9. El Paso, Texas (a Third World country, uglier than Monterey and Guadlajara in Mexico according to people who's been there!!!!!!!)

10. Syracuse
"The usual list"?? There are a lot of OTHER cities listed on this site other than the "easy, lazy, not keeping up w/these mostly fast-changing cities" answer than, as you quote "the usual list"

Old 02-22-2008, 08:21 PM

369 posts, read 1,638,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post

Since when does that make a place all that great. There are a ton of people moving to Phoenix, too, and that place is awful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.