Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 09:37 AM

334 posts, read 1,371,850 times

Advertisements

Get In The Game - See the change in Detroit

Old 02-11-2008, 07:10 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,749,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Louisville has some nice neighborhoods. But for a big city, I thought it was pretty dull. A small college town offers nearly as much nightlife as Louisville. And compared to its peer cities like Nashville and Indianapolis, Louisville is rather run-down.
I strongly disagree here, and saying a small college town has as much nightlife as Louisville is asinine. For one, Louisville has more nightlife in one mere block than all of Knoxville metro combined, if that is the college town you reference. Louisville has multiple nightlife districts and the bars stay open later than Indy, so it easily beats that city. Nashville has a pretty awesome nightlife due to all the tourists and beautiful southern ladies, so thats hard to beat, but Louisville gives it a nice run and teh nightlife is much different being less focused on country saloons in general and more like the dumumbrion scene. If you think Louisville is "run down," you havent been to cities like Saint Louis or Cincinnati. Clearly you are not a fan of older cities, but Louisville is by no means run down, and downtown is absolutely booming.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:25 PM

13,355 posts, read 39,974,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stx12499 View Post
If you think Louisville is "run down," you havent been to cities like Saint Louis or Cincinnati. Clearly you are not a fan of older cities, but Louisville is by no means run down, and downtown is absolutely booming.
Clearly you haven't read other posts of mine. Not that you're supposed to, but if you're going to judge me, I hope you'd do a little more investigating into my posts before making a blanket statement like that.

I love older cities like Saint Louis, Baltimore, even Memphis and Cleveland. I'm sorry if this hurts your feelings, but I just don't think there's anything special about Louisville. It's not a particularly bad place, but if I wanted to visit a big city with good night life, there are about 50 places that come to mind ahead of Louisville. When I lived in France and read guide books for Europeans coming to America, not a one of them even mentioned Louisville unless making a day trip to see the Kentucky Derby.

There are a couple of people in the Kentucky forum who enjoy talking trash about Tennessee, and that's fine. Not everyone is going to agree. Just understand that after visiting 40+ countries, 43 states, and seeing most of what America's beautiful cities have to offer, I honestly don't think Louisville is something to write home about. Sorry.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:32 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,689,127 times
El Paso, TX - I actually lived here in the mid 90's because I was in the military. I'll never go back.
Detroit, MI
Atlanta, GA
Albuquerque, NM
Tucson, AZ
Phoenix, AZ
Salt Lake City, UT
Las Vegas, NV
Mobile, AL (grew up 15 minutes from Mobile just across the stateline, it's so sad what Mobile has become)
Birmingham, AL
Huntsville, AL
Memphis, TN
Buffalo, NY (outside of the time I spent at Niagara falls, I found this to be one of the most depressing places to visit)
San Bernardino, CA
anywhere Nebraska
anywhere Kansas
anywhere Oklahoma
anywhere Louisiana
Miami, FL (Not ugly on the surface, but this city has problems and I want no part of them)

Old 02-13-2008, 04:18 PM

251 posts, read 895,960 times
What has Mobile become?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
El Paso, TX - I actually lived here in the mid 90's because I was in the military. I'll never go back.
Detroit, MI
Atlanta, GA
Albuquerque, NM
Tucson, AZ
Phoenix, AZ
Salt Lake City, UT
Las Vegas, NV
Mobile, AL (grew up 15 minutes from Mobile just across the stateline, it's so sad what Mobile has become)
Birmingham, AL
Huntsville, AL
Memphis, TN
Buffalo, NY (outside of the time I spent at Niagara falls, I found this to be one of the most depressing places to visit)
San Bernardino, CA
anywhere Nebraska
anywhere Kansas
anywhere Oklahoma
anywhere Louisiana
Miami, FL (Not ugly on the surface, but this city has problems and I want no part of them)

Old 02-13-2008, 04:24 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,689,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin_1975 View Post
What has Mobile become?
Crime is ridiculous for a city it's size.

Old 02-13-2008, 05:25 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,516,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
Yes- I forgot Cleveland and Cincy-

Aw come on...there are some nice areas of Cleveland, I cant afford to live in! I think all cities have their nice and bad areas.

Old 02-13-2008, 05:47 PM

531 posts, read 1,744,424 times
Just curious,why do so many people think Orlando is ugly? I admit I haven't been there since I was 16,but it didn't seem THAT horrible.
My votes go to: Gary,Indiana, Newark and Camden NJ, Youngstown,OH, and the Mon valley towns of PA (Donora comes to mind).

Old 02-13-2008, 05:57 PM

369 posts, read 1,639,510 times
1. Anywhere in Texas other than Austin
2. San Francisco
3. Phoenix
4. Baltimore
6. Detroit
7. Atlanta
8. Philadelphia
9. Los Angeles
10. Pittsburgh

Old 02-13-2008, 05:57 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,012,211 times
because it is! In the space of a mile, you can go by a nice subdivision, strip mall, trailer park, etc..... no planning, just let anyone put anything anywhere, it really is ugly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.