Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 05:47 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,658,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
The only states I could see winning are California, Texas, and New York.

California: has the most people so that's an advantage, mountains would also be a good asset, may run into problems if they invade Texas or New York during their hot & humid Summers.

Texas: has the second highest population and has a lot of pride, has a lot of "tough people" that wouldn't let Texas go down without a fight, Texas is the largest of the 3 so that's a good asset.

New York: has the third highest population and has a high amount of "tough people" that wouldn't let New York go down without a fight, if the war is in the Winter most of New York would have a serious advantage if it was invaded.

All 3 have good economies that would give them an advantage over most other states.
California, Texas, and New York are probably the top and most economically sustainable states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 05:56 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,198,453 times
In a nuclear situation, probably a tossup between Montana and Wyoming. They could just sit underground and launch missiles on the other 48.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:11 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times
^^^^Thats if they don't get conquered first, they'd be easy targets.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:20 PM

254 posts, read 693,426 times
California.....most people, largest manufacturing base. We also have a geographic advantage given that our west coast is the ocean and we have all the navy facilites to protect our western flank. We have the Sierra Nevada protecting our eastern flank and that alone gives us a level of protection far greater than say Texas, where it is pretty much flat all around. As far as a conventional war, it would be hard for an invading army to take over California

We have Lawrence Livermore National Labratories where alot of our nukes are designed and produced. We have launch facilites at Vandenberg and numerous air force bases, Northrop Grumman where bombers can be built, shipyards, and on and on and on.....

Old 10-15-2009, 06:21 PM

6,625 posts, read 14,456,812 times
Massachusetts wins this one easily. How? Raytheon teams up with the braintrust at MIT, and they create a weapon which instantly liquidates all whom oppose our undeniable power.

2 days later, everyone in the country is gone except for those in Massachusetts! The territories of the United States are then equally divided among the citizens of Mass...I'm split on whether I should take South Florida or Southern Cal. Any suggestions?

Old 10-15-2009, 06:36 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,187,100 times
^^^lol! I enjoyed that post.

I would still have to go with Texas. Not only does the state have the resources and gun power, but if you consider the location and surrounding states, Texas would be able concur more states much faster than places like New York, California, and Florida. New Mexico and Louisiana would be two of the first to go.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:53 PM

254 posts, read 693,426 times
I agree that Texas would be able to hold it's own against smaller states, but if this was an all out war, Texas has to fight a 4 way war at the same time with New Mexico, Oklahoma, Lousiana, and Arkansas. Would there be any geographic advantage to stop an invading army.

California has the Pacific Ocean to the west. We have most of the naval capabilities to protect the entire U.S. west coast, let alone just California. True that we have Oregon, Nevada, and Arizona to contend with at our borders.

The Sierra Nevada provides an excellent buffer to the east from approaching Nevadans, the Mojave is an extremly unbearable wide open expanse of unhospitability for any approaching Arizonians or other forces from the south, and the Oregonians and others would have to contend with our monsterous Redwood forests where we could covertly hide CA forces and await approaching forces.

Our main population and manufacturing centers I believe are well insulated geographically from any outside threats.

Remember, one of the reasons our country would be so hard to take over is because of geography (2 ocean front etc).

Old 10-15-2009, 09:21 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
New Mexico as it has the largest number of nuclear weapons. Georgia might also be possible as it's second and has more people than NM.

50 Facts About U.S. Nuclear Weapons - Brookings Institution

Taking nukes aside I'd say Texas due to its military manpower and oil. Even with nukes Texas has a bunch of plutonium and nuclear material in/near Amarillo. Maye they couldn't whip something up in time to avoid being vaporized by the New Mexicans or Georgians, but maybe they could.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:36 PM

2,316 posts, read 7,819,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frsno1 View Post
I agree that Texas would be able to hold it's own against smaller states, but if this was an all out war, Texas has to fight a 4 way war at the same time with New Mexico, Oklahoma, Lousiana, and Arkansas. Would there be any geographic advantage to stop an invading army.

California has the Pacific Ocean to the west. We have most of the naval capabilities to protect the entire U.S. west coast, let alone just California. True that we have Oregon, Nevada, and Arizona to contend with at our borders.

The Sierra Nevada provides an excellent buffer to the east from approaching Nevadans, the Mojave is an extremly unbearable wide open expanse of unhospitability for any approaching Arizonians or other forces from the south, and the Oregonians and others would have to contend with our monsterous Redwood forests where we could covertly hide CA forces and await approaching forces.

Our main population and manufacturing centers I believe are well insulated geographically from any outside threats.

Remember, one of the reasons our country would be so hard to take over is because of geography (2 ocean front etc).
Washington would probably take over Oregon and Idaho, maybe Montana. Then they (and Nevada too) could just nuke California's manufacturing centers, etc, and take over the state or parts.

After New Mexico and Georgia, Washington has the the most nuclear weapons in the country, and then Nevada, then North Dakota. Washington is also home to a lot of aerospace engineering and was a major center for development of weapons during the Cold War, so there is a lot of expertise there for weaponry, in addition to a lot of naval military forces. I wouldn't underestimate them.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:53 PM

28 posts, read 90,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac9wr View Post
Massachusetts wins this one easily. How? Raytheon teams up with the braintrust at MIT, and they create a weapon which instantly liquidates all whom oppose our undeniable power.

2 days later, everyone in the country is gone except for those in Massachusetts! The territories of the United States are then equally divided among the citizens of Mass...I'm split on whether I should take South Florida or Southern Cal. Any suggestions?

Liquidation would be such a waste. Two words - "Mind Control!" One chip per person and you have a cheap labor pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.