Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 07:09 PM

810 posts, read 1,342,106 times

Advertisements

Low-sensitivity threshold. People get mad way too easily if say you don't like something about the city, town, college teams, etc. It doesn't seem this way on either coast. Especially, on the west coast they could careless what you think. In the midwest, things are taken too personally way too easily.

Also, people may think they are better than you because they are not considered superficial. So, if you're a 300 pound couch potato, at least you're not superficial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 07:32 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,593,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trancedout View Post
Low-sensitivity threshold. People get mad way too easily if say you don't like something about the city, town, college teams, etc. It doesn't seem this way on either coast. Especially, on the west coast they could careless what you think. In the midwest, things are taken too personally way too easily.
From my own personal experience,that isn't true. Many people try really hard to impress others,which shows they do care what people think. Can't speak for the east coast.

Old 05-12-2012, 07:36 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
That sentiment from the individual posting that on the KC subforum is mostly correct. The social culture in a place like Kansas City is very different compared to other regions of the country- particuarly the coasts. I like to call the mentality "groupthink" as individualism and being different from the "perceived norm" is not looked at in a very favorable light in many areas of the Midwest and that includes large parts of the KC metro area. Now, some areas of the KC metro like Downtown, Crossroads, Plaza, P&L do have a large precentage of artists, creative class types, and hipsters. However, KC is still very dominanted by its suburbs, sprawl, and overarching social culture that built environment generates.

"The survey that ranked us dead last only looked at raw statistics and while I think KC is most likely better than Wichita, it's not exactly great. It has to do with the attitudes of the people who live here, and in cities considered good for singles (some of which may be mislabeled as such based on the raw stats, but have terrible attitudes)."

Yes, that is one of the things I hate the most about KC, and particularly JOCO are the attitudes of a huge number of people. I think it has a lot to do with the prevalent low self-esteem, immaturity, and pretentiousness all mixed together into a toxic brew. KC will remain a very bad place for singles as long as the attitudes of its residents are well less than desirable.
Wow. I've heard both good and bad about this metro. It is supposed to be well-planned, a hub of great architecture, affordable, economically in good shape, and fairly congenial. I have heard that JoCo is a little plastic and Stepford, but that Overland Park, KS is an edge city where corporations are located and that it is a country with its coffers in order. The only gripe I've heard came from a single Catholic lady who was constantly asked "Are you married?" Her answer "No." Then "Oh, but you have children, right?" Her answer "No." *end of conversation or switch topics* She also said that one of the other conversation starters was "What church do you go to?"

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 05-12-2012 at 08:26 PM..

Old 05-13-2012, 12:12 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Wow. I've heard both good and bad about this metro. It is supposed to be well-planned, a hub of great architecture, affordable, economically in good shape, and fairly congenial. I have heard that JoCo is a little plastic and Stepford, but that Overland Park, KS is an edge city where corporations are located and that it is a country with its coffers in order. The only gripe I've heard came from a single Catholic lady who was constantly asked "Are you married?" Her answer "No." Then "Oh, but you have children, right?" Her answer "No." *end of conversation or switch topics* She also said that one of the other conversation starters was "What church do you go to?"
If that lady lived in JOCO it wouldn't surprise me much at all. The county has a fairly sizable population of very conservative Catholics. It's too bad that many there were never taught and have no idea what proper social graces are and how to conduct themselves in a socially correct manner. The "what curch do you go to" question would not be very common there, however, I would expect the prevalence to be higher in Olathe, a very socially conservative suburb southwest of Overland Park that has a social culture that is very much like Texas JOCO has a lot of "conflicting" personalities as it is a VERY corporate county with a lot of highly educated professional types, a sizable percentage of the population leans fiscally conservative/socially liberal, but a sizable percentage of the population there are only a few generations removed from the farm and lean socially conservative. Corporate transplants and transfers were steered to JOCO instead of many other parts of KC during the corporate boom in the area during the 1980s and 90s as well. Think of it as Tyson's Corner light meets Great Plains meets stuccoed McMansions. Anyone who lives there that desires "culture" must drive to Kansas City, MO...

Old 05-13-2012, 01:27 PM

267 posts, read 618,651 times
Yes. Whereas suburban Missouri is a bit more uniformly social conservative, fiscally liberal... joco has much more diversity in this regard. Such as a large bloc of yuppie fiscal conservative social liberal thinking people. But many of the social conservatives from small towns as well. Plus plenty of Chinese and Indians that have their own ways of thinking, but are very friendly. Urban kcmo seems pretty uniform with liberal thinking across the board; some people there are actually outgoing.

I am fiscal conservative, social liberal. Much of the MO hate probably stems from this, rather than anything inherent about Missouri. Many Missourians I talk to are social conservatives (homophobic and IHOP types) while supporting unions and KC's random "fun" projects and tax hikes as well.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason87x View Post
Yes Many Missourians I talk to are social conservatives (homophobic and IHOP types) while supporting unions and KC's random "fun" projects and tax hikes as well.
This is a classic example of the Blue Dog Democrat voting bloc.

Old 05-13-2012, 08:27 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,859,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason87x View Post
Yes. Whereas suburban Missouri is a bit more uniformly social conservative, fiscally liberal... joco has much more diversity in this regard. Such as a large bloc of yuppie fiscal conservative social liberal thinking people. But many of the social conservatives from small towns as well. Plus plenty of Chinese and Indians that have their own ways of thinking, but are very friendly. Urban kcmo seems pretty uniform with liberal thinking across the board; some people there are actually outgoing.

I am fiscal conservative, social liberal. Much of the MO hate probably stems from this, rather than anything inherent about Missouri. Many Missourians I talk to are social conservatives (homophobic and IHOP types) while supporting unions and KC's random "fun" projects and tax hikes as well.
I think people have a ton of misconceptions about each other on both sides of the state line.
The stereotypes are just that: they are partial truth at best.
Homophobic, social conservatives, fiscal conservatives, liberals, blah, blah, blah.... Every corner of the metro has every one of those type of people living in them. Nothing really stands out other than there are liberals to varying degrees in the core and inner-ring suburbs. Outer ring suburbs generally tend to lean more conservative. The state line made no difference as far as any of that goes. The difference on that front is one is pretentious and full of itself, the other is more laid back, easy going, if not a little insecure of it's loss of business to a county whose state throws literally everything it has at it to keep it propped up.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
I think people have a ton of misconceptions about each other on both sides of the state line.
The stereotypes are just that: they are partial truth at best.
Homophobic, social conservatives, fiscal conservatives, liberals, blah, blah, blah.... Every corner of the metro has every one of those type of people living in them. Nothing really stands out other than there are liberals to varying degrees in the core and inner-ring suburbs. Outer ring suburbs generally tend to lean more conservative. The state line made no difference as far as any of that goes. The difference on that front is one is pretentious and full of itself, the other is more laid back, easy going, if not a little insecure of it's loss of business to a county whose state throws literally everything it has at it to keep it propped up.
Different cities have differing personalities and the KC metro area has a very bizzare overall personality and mentality of a large number of residents there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.