Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 05:41 PM

192 posts, read 560,309 times

Advertisements

I was raised in the midwest, (Milwaukee), and do believe that there is at least a tangible Milwaukee mentality. I think it's self-perpetuating, as well.

Most people I knew growing up wanted to move away as soon as they could, but very few did because of family pressure. I left at 18, but go back to visit frequently. I find now that the people who never left have developed a strong set of rationalizations about why they are glad they stayed in WI, and are quick to bash other areas of the country for things like crime and traffic and materialism (which Milwaukee has plenty of...) even if they've never visited them. And now, they are raising their kids with the same pressure to stay put.

It's sad to see old friends develop such provincial attitudes, and I notice it more and more as time goes by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 05:45 PM

269 posts, read 667,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scdreamer View Post
I was raised in the midwest, (Milwaukee), and do believe that there is at least a tangible Milwaukee mentality. I think it's self-perpetuating, as well.

Most people I knew growing up wanted to move away as soon as they could, but very few did because of family pressure. I left at 18, but go back to visit frequently. I find now that the people who never left have developed a strong set of rationalizations about why they are glad they stayed in WI, and are quick to bash other areas of the country for things like crime and traffic and materialism (which Milwaukee has plenty of...) even if they've never visited them. And now, they are raising their kids with the same pressure to stay put.

It's sad to see old friends develop such provincial attitudes, and I notice it more and more as time goes by.
Thoughtful post...

Old 02-10-2010, 05:48 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times
St. Louis and Milwaukee sound very much like Kansas City with regard to the prevailing attitudes of the "stayers" compared to those that left for school or better job prospects elsewhere.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:00 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,927,929 times
Quote:

That's the case in any city where the young stay put - it's not exclusive to the midwest, you know. I know a lot of young people who have moved to the Milwaukee area to live there lives (who didn't grow up there). For example, my daughter is a college graduate (social worker) and her husband is a physician. Neither are from Milwaukee, but they now live in Mequon - a choice they made. He actually grew up in Chicagoland - wanted to stay fairly close but was tired of all the traffic. As I said before, growing up and staying put is not exclusive to the midwest.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:01 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
What exactly is wrong with staying in the Midwest?

Old 02-10-2010, 06:14 PM

Nothing is wrong with staying where you grew up, if your city brings you fulfillment. In fact, you're very lucky if you happen to be born somewhere and never have the urge to try something different.

But if your city limits you professionally for some reason, or doesn't allow you to develop your passions because of geography or weather or cultural climate, then it's a shame.

There's a big world out there, and it's a waste of life to stay in one place if you're only doing it out of inertia.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:15 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,927,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
What exactly is wrong with staying in the Midwest?
Absolutely nothing - it's no different than staying in any part of the country where you grew up.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Nothing is wrong with staying where you grew up, if your city brings you fulfillment. In fact, you're very lucky if you happen to be born somewhere and never have the urge to try something different.

But if your city limits you professionally for some reason, or doesn't allow you to develop your passions because of geography or weather or cultural climate, then it's a shame.

There's a big world out there, and it's a waste of life to stay in one place if you're only doing it out of inertia.
Yes, this could be applied to my comments on art and many people's lack of appreciation of art in my hometown...

Old 02-10-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundermifflin View Post
Yes, this could be applied to my comments on art and many people's lack of appreciation of art in my hometown...
I thought about that when I was posting it. In my hometown, social life seemed to revolve around drinking. Can be fun from time to time, but every weekend? Really?

Old 02-10-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
I thought about that when I was posting it. In my hometown, social life seemed to revolve around drinking. Can be fun from time to time, but every weekend? Really?
I totally agree with you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.