Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 08:18 PM

4 posts, read 25,722 times

Advertisements

stay where you are
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 09:30 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
Default What about this street

Anyone familiar with Ellis St across from a park..
Nice...not so nice??

Old 02-05-2008, 01:15 AM

2,014 posts, read 5,100,546 times
I don't know much about Brunswick, but I know Airchauffeur's comments seem very racist as he/she felt the need to mention Brunswick's black and hispanic population then follow it with talks of high crimes in the city.

then amazingly right after that you have jorhyne.....and i quote
"If you move to Brunswick move outside the city limits. Like the post above way too many blacks and Mexicans inside the city. In the county there are plenty of nice areas to live."

Sounds like you are saying there are no nice black or hispanic neighborhoods and that the poster should avoid them at all costs.

lol@exaggerating facts. From 1999 to 2006 according to this same site Brunswick had a combined total of 4 murders. Yea what a death trap. :|

It's that type of crap that gets us nowhere. I find racism disturbing in any matter, but its even more disturbing to make those types of comments boldly out in the open to other people that you have no clue about and how they feel on issues, as if it's just accepted there (racism).

I'm black and grew up in a nice, middle class black neighborhood Macon, GA. I know in my part of Macon my black, middle class neighborhood is more clean and nice than the trailers just a mile or 2 down the road across the border in Jones County.
So that stereotyping is wrong and I was offended.
Thanks for letting me know that as a very young black man I don't need to visit brunswick because I will be labeled immediately.

Last edited by Southern Soul Bro; 02-05-2008 at 01:24 AM..

Old 02-15-2008, 12:08 PM

96 posts, read 424,669 times
Default Stereotype??

My life was saved by a wonderful African American in Nam. I was simply stating facts about the town's ethnic population. I must correct you on one point though; In 2006 there were a total of 16 murders/homicides in Brunswick. And YES, that is excessive for that size city. I thoroughly agree that there is white trash all over and a lower eschelon of every race. I just posted the exact percentages of all the races in the city, that's it! For you to accuse me of racism is rediculous. I get along with every race, of course unless they walk their life with an eternal chip on their shoulder.

Old 02-18-2008, 12:00 PM

104 posts, read 452,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mactown_georgia_boy View Post
I don't know much about Brunswick, but I know Airchauffeur's comments seem very racist as he/she felt the need to mention Brunswick's black and hispanic population then follow it with talks of high crimes in the city.

then amazingly right after that you have jorhyne.....and i quote
"If you move to Brunswick move outside the city limits. Like the post above way too many blacks and Mexicans inside the city. In the county there are plenty of nice areas to live."

Sounds like you are saying there are no nice black or hispanic neighborhoods and that the poster should avoid them at all costs.

lol@exaggerating facts. From 1999 to 2006 according to this same site Brunswick had a combined total of 4 murders. Yea what a death trap. :|

It's that type of crap that gets us nowhere. I find racism disturbing in any matter, but its even more disturbing to make those types of comments boldly out in the open to other people that you have no clue about and how they feel on issues, as if it's just accepted there (racism).

I'm black and grew up in a nice, middle class black neighborhood Macon, GA. I know in my part of Macon my black, middle class neighborhood is more clean and nice than the trailers just a mile or 2 down the road across the border in Jones County.
So that stereotyping is wrong and I was offended.
Thanks for letting me know that as a very young black man I don't need to visit brunswick because I will be labeled immediately.

I would like to comment on a couple of things, (1) 4 murders and 90 registered Sex Offenders in a town of only 16,000 people in a short time is not most peoples ideal "Safe family town".
And (2) this is a information forum, and the racial make up of a town is important to most people, rather the say it "out in the open" or not! So thanks for letting every one know you were offended, we truly care, that you were offended because some one mention the break down of races in Brunswick.

Sorry, just my 2 cents,

Last edited by GaBoy-n-Iraq; 02-18-2008 at 12:11 PM..

Old 02-18-2008, 05:39 PM

78 posts, read 368,160 times
I grew up in middle GA and have a lot of friend that grew up, and some that still live, in the Brunswick / St. Simons area. We are thinking of moving from Atlanta to St. Simons. We visit St. Simons several times a year and just love the island. I don't think I would want to live in Brunswick for several reasons. The schools are not that great, there is a lot of crime for a town the size of Brunswick, and the city itself is not that clean.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:33 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,083,751 times
"Brunswick" (the metro area) to me includes Saint Simons, Sea and Jekyll Islands; there's a world of difference between the mainland (city of Brunswick) and the islands, especially Saint Simons and Sea Islands. They are very upscale, while you would be hard-pressed to find upscale neighborhoods in Brunswick(although I do love the Union Street area) .
I have noticed that very recently downtown Brunswick seems to be enjoying a "renaissance", with several new shops and restaurants (don't miss Cargo if you visit). Brunswick's prospects, IMO, are on the rise.

Old 04-28-2008, 11:21 AM

2 posts, read 10,957 times
I agree with mactown-georgia-boy, those were very racist comments. If you would like to give advice to somone that needs to know about the town, give them advice that helps. Saying that there are "blacks/hispanics" is just as bad as a black person saying "trailor trash/blonds". I'm looking to moving to Brunswick and while you pointed out the "bad folk" of race you gave me no opinion of other races which makes your posting not credible but racist. And save the "I've been saved by an Af/Am" speech, really doesnt help. We need opinions of the lifestyle, crime, neiborhoods, and job potential...REAL POSTINGS!!!!

Old 04-28-2008, 11:30 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
I don't think they were racist at all! It's the breakdown of who lives in the town of Brunswick..it's information!!

I know many people who would not have a problem with the breakdown and I also know many who would have a HUGE problem and would not live there..it is what it is as long as it's truthful. accurate info i don't find anything offensive or racist about it.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:33 PM

1 posts, read 8,296 times
Default Brunswick, Ga.

I have lived in the Brunswick area (Glynn County) for the past 35 years. The city of Brunswick is a GHETTO with a small nice neighborhood and more crime than you could shake a stick at. Our jail and justice complex are the high points. As of late several small pricy restaurants have opened in the downtown area. I can't understand how anyone in their right mind would take their wife or girlfriend out in the evening to have dinner there. If you do survive the walk from your car to the restaurant then perhaps a look see at the RED CARPET LOUNGE, our only stripper joint. The Brunswick city fathers refer to the RED CARPET as part of the charm of Brunswick. If you're thinking of moving to the city, maybe a look at the "CRIME WATCH" section of the Brunswick News would be worthwhile. Surronding area of Brunswick, THE BEST, it does not get any better. STAY OUT OF THE CITY...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia