Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 10:11 PM

998 posts, read 1,549,872 times

Advertisements

There is no "logic" or common sense for that matter to your point of view. I mean... why have any laws then? Anarchy is prevented by laws and the enforcement of those laws. It is NOT a government infringement against people who aren't supposed to be here in the first place. You're comparing Ugandan gays and Sudanese adulterers to illegal immigration? Two TOTALLY different circumstances... international illegal immigration to violations of personal discrimination (uganda) and most likely an extreme religious reaction (sudan) by other governments against their OWN people. I'm quite frankly done with both parties, they're in it for their careers, special interests and not the will of the people... that's for sure. And yes, this is all about a voting block for democrats. Republicans used to be on the side of the super majority of the american people as well, i'm not so sure anymore. I'm speechless as to how people such as yourself view this topic sometimes. It makes no sense and your comparisons are in no way similar in size, scope and intent. But that's America, we're free to share our opinions. The only thing I can gather from yours is: laws are made to be broken and America needs to have a completely different immigration policy than any other country on Earth, which is none at all. We're not trying to be West Germany here, just America... and we're not trying to be Uganda or Sudan either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 10:20 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times
GA has been a possibility as a place for us to move. One of several states we were looking at. After this, we've narrowed our search to a specific area of GA and hope to move in the next few months. Going next weekend to look at a few homes.

Fully support the bill.

Old 04-20-2011, 10:46 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
So basically your answer then is yes, you do respect laws just because they are laws and demonize illegal immigrants just for breaking them (regardless of the absence of any tangible victim), and by extension must hold the rabblerousing likes of Harriet Tubman in contempt. Understood.
Yes, I respect laws. I don't always agree with them, but I still follow the law, because without them, where would we be?

Quote:
I happened to choose a line of work that it would be very difficult for an illegal immigrant to enter. If other people happened to choose a profession which has been heavily inundated with illegal immigrants, such as meat packing, farm work, landscaping, and unskilled construction work, then yeah, I feel for you. Competition is a *****.

I'm sorry you had the benefits and opportunities afforded by American citizenship from day one of your life and were apparently unable to parlay that into something more valuable to society than picking fruit. But that doesn't mean you have the right to use the coercive arm of government to forcibly prevent people from competing with you. And the thought that we would sacrifice a ridiculously valuable labor stream for the supposed benefit of this group of people is just lolbad policy, especially when nobody seems to be able to actually define what group has been negatively impacted by illegal immigrants in a way that's at all quantifiable.
I don't even begin to know how to refute what you believe you know about a stranger on the internet from a couple of posts. LOLOLOL I can only guess (and I'm sure it would be way off base, just as your assumptions were) about how you "choose" a line of work difficult for someone else to enter? My imagination runs rampant on this one....

Quote:
Ensligh isn't our official language and has nothing to do with immigration legally.
It should be!

The rest of the post I won't dignify by responding to, because I will not and do not have to defend myself against someone who assumes to know my thoughts and actions in regards to other human beings. And by the way it is not DUDE....

Old 04-20-2011, 10:56 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Who cares if they are illegal? I certainly don't.
Then that puts us on opposite sides of the controversy... and the law.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:56 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,987,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tckr83 View Post
There is no "logic" or common sense for that matter to your point of view. I mean... why have any laws then? Anarchy is prevented by laws and the enforcement of those laws. It is NOT a government infringement against people who aren't supposed to be here in the first place. You're comparing Ugandan gays and Sudanese adulterers to illegal immigration? Two TOTALLY different circumstances... international illegal immigration to violations of personal discrimination (uganda) and most likely an extreme religious reaction (sudan) by other governments against their OWN people.
Do you not see how my property rights are violated by not allowing immigrants in? I've explained it like ten times now.

Quote:
I'm quite frankly done with both parties, they're in it for their careers, special interests and not the will of the people... that's for sure. And yes, this is all about a voting block for democrats. Republicans used to be on the side of the super majority of the american people as well, i'm not so sure anymore. I'm speechless as to how people such as yourself view this topic sometimes. It makes no sense and your comparisons are in no way similar in size, scope and intent. But that's America, we're free to share our opinions. The only thing I can gather from yours is: laws are made to be broken and America needs to have a completely different immigration policy than any other country on Earth, which is none at all. We're not trying to be West Germany here, just America... and we're not trying to be Uganda or Sudan either.
The purpose of laws to protect property rights. Except this law, and many others, which do the opposite--they give government to power to take away property, to curtail rights, and to deny freedoms.

I have no moral inclination to follow these sorts of laws beyond not getting caught. Whether they target Ugandan homosexuals, freed American slaves, or brown people from Mexico.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Yes, I respect laws. I don't always agree with them, but I still follow the law, because without them, where would we be?
So, just to be crystal clear, you do in fact hold Harriet Tubman in contempt, the vicious lawbreaker she is?

Kind of a shocking and outrageous position to take, given our country's history of having terrible and oppressive laws.

Quote:
I don't even begin to know how to refute what you believe you know about a stranger on the internet from a couple of posts. LOLOLOL I can only guess (and I'm sure it would be way off base, just as your assumptions were) about how you "choose" a line of work difficult for someone else to enter? My imagination runs rampant on this one....
I meant the collective "you" you seem to be so worried about having the jerbs taken from. If you're not actually in a position where your job has been or is likely to be taken by an illegal immigrant, then congratulations, you've done good at life and may you reap the rewards of capitalism.

And are you serious about having a hard time picturing a profession where it's extremely unlikely for an illegal immigrant to take your job? I could name several dozen if you're having a tough time, unless you would still be worried about an illegal immigrant taking over an accounting position or something.

Quote:
It should be!
*awaits non-xenophobic reason for this opinion*

Quote:
The rest of the post I won't dignify by responding to, because I will not and do not have to defend myself against someone who assumes to know my thoughts and actions in regards to other human beings. And by the way it is not DUDE....
But that was all the best stuff!

Can you at least respond to the part where I point out the blatant contradiction you made that immigrants are concurrently stealing all the jerbs and sitting pretty on the taxpayer dime?

Old 04-21-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Then that puts us on opposite sides of the controversy... and the law.
Yep. I'm proud to be on the dissenting side of this oppressive and discriminatory law.

Also, there are bigger laws out there, which are actually designed to protect property rights and freedoms--namely the US Constitution. It's been trampled over by big-government types for generations now, but it still has some fight left in it.

The fact that your law is treading a very fine line on what's constitutional and what isn't should be enough to give some serious pause.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Can you at least respond to the part where I point out the blatant contradiction you made that immigrants are concurrently stealing all the jerbs and sitting pretty on the taxpayer dime?
The Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR) conducted a study to analyze the impact of illegal immigration on Georgia's economy. This 2008 study showed that illegal aliens cost the state more than $1.6 billion per year. This amount equates to $523/year per "native-born headed household." There are fiscal costs of illegal immigration but there are social costs also.

Here is just one of many articles. How much does illegal immigration cost Georgia? - Atlanta Immigration | Examiner.com

I'm sure it won't change your mind, just as nothing will change mine..... Obviously you've never been to AZ, CA, or TX and seen first hand the problems there.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
The Federation for American Immigration Reform (FAIR) conducted a study to analyze the impact of illegal immigration on Georgia's economy. This 2008 study showed that illegal aliens cost the state more than $1.6 billion per year. This amount equates to $523/year per "native-born headed household." There are fiscal costs of illegal immigration but there are social costs also.

Here is just one of many articles. How much does illegal immigration cost Georgia? - Atlanta Immigration | Examiner.com

I'm sure it won't change your mind, just as nothing will change mine..... Obviously you've never been to AZ, CA, or TX and seen first hand the problems there.
lulz

Internet protip:

Whenever there's a teeny-weeny chance the position you are advocating could be perceived as a touch xenophobic (if the person you're debating against didn't know better, of course), it's probably best to steer clear of sources that get a million hits when their name is entered into google next to the term "white supremacist".

Just a thought.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:31 AM

That's it... I'm done with this... all I did was post a dollar amount.... I'm done with your accusations and name calling... too much "high school, he said, she said drama....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia