Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 05:17 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,630,056 times

Advertisements

Gerald Ford was the last decent Republican president. Hell, Reagan is looking better and better these days, relative to what we've got.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 05:36 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,262,857 times
I mean, neither presidents Bush were all that terrible, especially the elder. Personally, I actually liked them both better than Bill Clinton, whom I've always disliked. But that's me.

Reagan had some great moments. Ford wasn't bad. Eisenhower was a great president.

And there are plenty of terrible Democrats.

And California has financial issues, no doubt. I've never lived there, I don't know what it's like, and I'm not blaming OP for being sick of it and wanting to leave.

But, I mean, where do I even start. Trump is utterly horrible. Congress is a big failure. And Republican politics, particularly on the social side, always seem to be regressive and on the wrong side of history. The party of your racist, bigoted grandfather who loathes any and all change, aka forward social progress.

We need a healthy amount of taxes. Not too much, not too little. Just the right amount, to pay for the right amount of things. We need single-payer national health insurance ("Medicare for all"), which would be more efficient (not to mention more moral) than our current terrible overall situation.

I think taxes should not necessarily be high, but there are things that government can and should do. And government is not always efficient, but that's not always the most important consideration.

And the problem with even considering voting Republican in a Deep South state like Georgia, is it comes with all the Bible-thumping, anti-everyone who doesn't want to plaster the government with idiotic Theocra-Jesus and Patrio-Nationalism.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:18 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I mean, neither presidents Bush were all that terrible, especially the elder. Personally, I actually liked them both better than Bill Clinton, whom I've always disliked. But that's me.

Reagan had some great moments. Ford wasn't bad. Eisenhower was a great president.

And California has financial issues, no doubt. I've never lived there, I don't know what it's like, and I'm not blaming OP for being sick of it and wanting to leave.

But, I mean, where do I even start. Trump is utterly horrible. Congress is a big failure. And Republican politics, particularly on the social side, always seem to be regressive and on the wrong side of history. The party of your racist, bigoted grandfather who loathes any and all change, aka forward social progress.

We need a healthy amount of taxes. Not too much, not too little. Just the right amount, to pay for the right amount of things. We need single-payer national health insurance ("Medicare for all"), which would be more efficient (not to mention more moral) than our current terrible overall situation.

I think taxes should not necessarily be high, but there are things that government can and should do. And government is not always efficient, but that's not always the most important consideration.

And the problem with even considering voting Republican in a Deep South state like Georgia, is it comes with all the Bible-thumping, anti-everyone who doesn't want to plaster the government with idiotic Theocra-Jesus and Patrio-Nationalism.

I would like it if Georgia became like a southern "Minnesota" in terms of politics, ideaology, livability, progressivism, and societal improvement.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:31 PM

38 posts, read 50,597 times
Quote:

My grandfather fought on the beach of Normandy so you can sit here at your computer today and complain about this country. He was an real American, I wish more people in this country today were like him.

I'm not quiet sure how "forward" that social progress is you are referring to.

And I will be quiet happy to continue voting Republican when we move to the Deep South state of Georgia.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
I would like it if Georgia became like a southern "Minnesota" in terms of politics, ideaology, livability, progressivism, and societal improvement.
Yea, because Minnesota is great?

Solution. Why not move to Minnesota?

Old 08-02-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxieman2 View Post
My grandfather fought on the beach of Normandy so you can sit here at your computer today and complain about this country. He was an real American, I wish more people in this country today were like him.
My grandfather fought in WW2 as well, twice wounded, and died earlier this year. What does that have to do with anything I said? Do you understand what a figure of speech is?

Quote:
I'm not quiet sure how "forward" that social progress is you are referring to.

And I will be quiet happy to continue voting Republican when we move to the Deep South state of Georgia.
Oh, I'm fully aware of what you're "quiet" happy to be. There's plenty of it around.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:
My grandfather fought in WW2 as well, twice wounded, and died earlier this year. What does that have to do with anything I said? Do you understand what a figure of speech is?

Oh, I'm fully aware of what you're "quiet" happy to be. There's plenty of it around.

Actually, I do understand a figure of speech. Just not cool with how those on the left demonize the generations before because they feel they weren't "socially progressive" enough. I am personally very proud of the generation of your and my grandfather's. And, I do think when it comes to social issues, we do need to truly decide what real progress looks like.

Good, I'm glad we are on the same page. And even more glad there's plenty of it around.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Actually, I do understand a figure of speech. Just not cool with how those on the left demonize the generations before because they feel they weren't "socially progressive" enough. I am personally very proud of the generation of your and my grandfather's.
Alright, well that is a fair point, and that is definitely not what I meant to say or imply. Fair point.

Anyway, it's not that we should just accept anything and everything in the name of "social progress", it's that we do need to be a more tolerant and compassionate and equitable society, and "liberals" seem to be the only faction concerned with any of that.

I hope you don't have disgusting, ignorant views. Especially since you're moving to my state.

Old 08-02-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Alright, well that is a fair point, and that is definitely not what I meant to say or imply. Fair point.

Anyway, it's not that we should just accept anything and everything in the name of "social progress", it's that we do need to be a more tolerant and compassionate and equitable society, and "liberals" seem to be the only faction concerned with any of that.

I hope you don't have disgusting, ignorant views. Especially since you're moving to my state.

Thank you, I do feel like that's a fair point also.

I'm glad to hear your not into accepting anything and everything. In fact, we most likely agree on some of the issues. (You seem to be a rational individual). However, I do disagree that liberals are the only ones that are concerned with these issues. Liberals are often only concerned with "appearing" concerned with these issues to gain and keep power. (Example: What exactly did Obama do for the middle class or the black community?) Trust me, I've been in the center of liberalism for the past 8 years.

I don't believe my views are disgusting or ignorant. However, the ever so "tolerant" and "compassionate" liberals might just think so. After all, I am a white, straight, Christian, conservative male. They seem to find most of those pretty offensive.

I do look forward to moving to your state very much.

Old 08-02-2017, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Liberals are often only concerned with "appearing" concerned with these issues to gain and keep power.
I think there are some politicians who are mostly like that, and some that are maybe sometimes sort of like that, but a lot of people really do genuinely care. Don't be obtuse or blind to that.

Politics is kind of a related yet different thing to the actual issues, and people who care about such things.

Quote:
I don't believe my views are disgusting or ignorant. However, the ever so "tolerant" and "compassionate" liberals might just think so. After all, I am a white, straight, Christian, conservative male.
Well, you're definitely going to fit in well in Georgia. Way to hit the jackpot there.

I'm a white, straight, atheist, liberal/libertarian male, and I don't necessarily have a problem with all Christians or conservatives, just the ones who are morons/ignorant/repulsive/you get the general idea.

And if you're a Republican, fine. That doesn't necessarily mean you're a terrible person. Who knows, while you're living in Georgia, maybe you'll learn/study/think more about everything, and your positions and views will evolve past blaming everything on "liberals". I know you vehemently don't think so, but maybe you will change. It happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia