Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 07:53 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,845,122 times

Advertisements

Rich enough that I don't have to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 08:01 PM

88 posts, read 159,284 times
I think it depends. Me personally, I aspire to be middle-middle (is there such a thing?) to upper-middle, but I suppose it could be that you stumble upon a literal million-dollar idea (a la Facebook or the guy who launched Chobani yogurt) and if you are engaged, and it's your baby, you are likely going to stick with it until it develops into what you want it to be...which could also make you very rich.

I suppose you could put the family to work .... you know, get the husband/wife involved and the kids started young...maybe in infancy (have baby Hunter or Madison get a cookie for picking the right colors for the valuation spreadsheets).....I think that's a great idea, in fact.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:27 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
I have Trustafarian friends who inherited multi-millions when they turned 21 or so . . . and I can assure you, being mega rich gives a person so much freedom . . . you can pursue your dreams -- and assuming you have been wise -- your children can pursue theirs, as well.

The thing about money is that it gives you choices. However, you don't have to be mega rich to live an abundant and joyful life. Money only becomes an issue when a person doesn't have enough to live a decent life and provide for their families.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:38 PM

3,702 posts, read 4,851,427 times
Of course I'd like to be rich. The professional life isn't for me though. I'm sure I'll probably never be considered wealthy or even upper middle class. That being said I'd like to be the one taking care of their toys. Going to the assorted locations that the well to do like to keep their toys at. You see, I've worked for some very well off individuals. Most have all worked hard to get where they are and I can respect that. However, A lot are always working. On their cells, holding meetings, discussing business with clients, etc..., all while engaging in activities many pay good money to do while on vacation. It's obvious that they are really still in their office mentally even if physically in the carribbean or some other destination. You can tell they are stressed out at times. Personally, I don't want to be like that. I like to truly enjoy my life.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:53 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
How come on this thread the mega rich are working, working, always working and stressed out, and all the Politics threads they are lazy bastards who make money on the backs of the lower classes and don't pay their fair share?

Old 02-06-2013, 08:20 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
How come on this thread the mega rich are working, working, always working and stressed out, and all the Politics threads they are lazy bastards who make money on the backs of the lower classes and don't pay their fair share?
Probably because the folks who are commenting about the mega rich on the political threads are not mega rich (or even solvent, in some cases) and the ones who have posted here actually have some experience living a middle class, upper middle class, or even mega wealthy lifestyle (or have friends who do).

People make a lot of assumptions about the working poor, the poor, the disabled, as well as the mega rich. The stereotypes are accurate for only a portion of people in each group. Not every person living in poverty has 5 illegitimate kids, is on welfare, foodstamps, is a high school drop out, a druggie, etc and not every person who is mega wealthy lives in a penthouse, drives a Ferrari and spends the family money with abandon.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:26 AM

885 posts, read 1,881,812 times
I am middle class working for mega rich (private jets, 6 homes, 100,000 dollar cars at each place, boats, etc).. and living their life with them. That gives me a pretty good insight into this topic.

I can say that while having mega bucks seems to bring on certain expectations that I wouldn't always enjoy, that mega rich people that I know are on the whole very happy and live very fulfilling lives.

Who wouldn't want to jet off somewhere warm for a long weekend in the middle of winter? Going out on a Friday night means hopping on the plane and heading out somewhere of their choice, be it skiing for the weekend or snorkeling - they take kids with them, leave them home sometimes, etc. It looks like a fabulous life and the are very rarely in a sour mood.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:05 AM

1,259 posts, read 2,258,082 times
I was once invited to stay a few days in the summer home of a CEO who is a millionaire thanks to a friend of mine. It was one of the most memorable experiences of my life. Their vacation home was ten times bigger than most people's regular home, they had a yacht, jet skis, an infiniti pool, etc. We ate some the best food and drinks too. So personally I would take being rich. I would make a lot of money, invest it right and then retire early to do whatever I want.

Old 02-06-2013, 12:58 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
B for me. Then I could help some friends who are struggling now. I would give a lot of that money away.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:54 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
In America, the children of the mega rich still have to have a professional career. It may be very elite and trendy, like journalism or film, but it’s not socially acceptable to sit around and do nothing. Most of these people leverage their capital, inherited or otherwise, to further their professional ambitions.

I’ve known some very rich people (+$250 mil.) and their lives are surprisingly middle class. Yes, they have planes to take them to meetings, lots of fancy toys and take amazing vacations, but they live lives most people would recognize. They cook their own meals, drive their own cars. Their lives aren’t much different from a high-end lawyer or surgeon; they just have more money to give away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates