Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 04:36 PM

25,964 posts, read 22,132,993 times

Advertisements

Neither. I have been fulfilled without either of those choices. Going back to when I was 20 years old, about 38 years ago, I would have picked "very rich" because coming from a lower class family but money, beyond a certain amount for necessities and some pleasure really just doesn't matter. What matters is having personal time for yourself and/or family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 04:38 PM

5,576 posts, read 8,002,110 times
I choose B. Being very wealthy means you can do anything you want with your life and money, which is a tremendous advantage when compared to the professional class. Also, you can still plug away and work hard if you're very rich - the difference is that if you have vast wealth you don't have to work if you don't want to (beyond the work that it takes to keep your wealth). You can also afford to have private jets and the like. If you're very wealthy and your life isn't fulfilling, the problem is not how much money you have but rather the way in which you use it.

Make no mistake: one can have a nice and fulfilling life in the professional class as well, but it's even better at the top.

Old 02-06-2013, 04:41 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
I wish I could give you my opinion with the voice of experience.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:27 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,343,102 times
"You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your ****ing khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world."

--Tyler Durden

Old 02-06-2013, 07:28 PM

19,041 posts, read 27,614,590 times
I am likely never to stop referring ALL kinds of questions to a great movie: Groundhog Day.
Premise is - main character is stuck in a day. Unfortunately, he is cursed with remembering the previous days.
Of course, clearly, a DAY is a LIFE.

Watch it. You'll see very good responses to your question.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:04 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,655,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I have Trustafarian friends who inherited multi-millions when they turned 21 or so . . . and I can assure you, being mega rich gives a person so much freedom . . . you can pursue your dreams -- and assuming you have been wise -- your children can pursue theirs, as well.

The thing about money is that it gives you choices. However, you don't have to be mega rich to live an abundant and joyful life. Money only becomes an issue when a person doesn't have enough to live a decent life and provide for their families.
You are correct! Most people don't even have an idea of what those choices are or what the lifestyle can be unless they have been around people who are rich enough to do what they want when they want and where they want.Happiness is wanting what you have.

Winning the lottery and starting a business with the proceeds so you can work there is very lacking in vision.

Old 02-06-2013, 11:50 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,302,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I have Trustafarian friends who inherited multi-millions when they turned 21 or so . . . and I can assure you, being mega rich gives a person so much freedom . . . you can pursue your dreams -- and assuming you have been wise -- your children can pursue theirs, as well.
You don't have to earn millions to have choice and freedom. Plenty of people who earn $200,000 or more earn a lot of money but are hardly trust fund rich. They have plenty of freedom and opportunity. They can do what they want and where they want but they may not be Jay Gatsby either.

When you get into the millions, it's about greed and competing with other rich people not fulfilling dreams or having opportunity. You can have those things with a lot less money. Then we are talking about Bentleys instead of Mercedes or owning jets instead of flying first class. Then it's not about owning a large home in a nice area, it's about owning a large home in the Hamptons. It's not about having season tickets to a game, it's about having a personal luxury box to game.

There is a difference between pursuing a dream and trying to mimic the life of P Diddy. For most people, when they refer to pursuing dreams, they are refering to things like being able to travel or pursue a certain hobby or own a certain item. Sure, you need money but you don't need be a multi-millionaire to achieve that unless your dream is to buy an island in Greece or purchase a professional sports team.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 02-07-2013 at 12:00 AM..

Old 02-07-2013, 12:12 AM

3,105 posts, read 3,835,606 times
If money doesn't make me happy, at least I can suffer in style.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:31 AM

18,529 posts, read 18,761,435 times
I dont want any of them.. a contented life with enough money for food and a warm house, healthy kids and grandkids. who could ask for anything more...

Old 02-07-2013, 07:15 AM

72 posts, read 206,784 times
megamillionaire

Money is power
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates