Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 08:46 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,247,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8635angelvalley View Post
You are correct! Most people don't even have an idea of what those choices are or what the lifestyle can be unless they have been around people who are rich enough to do what they want when they want and where they want.Happiness is wanting what you have.

Winning the lottery and starting a business with the proceeds so you can work there is very lacking in vision.
Sadly, most people win the lottery, decide to pay off the house (good), sell and buy a BIGGER one (not good) buy cars, stuff, toys, etc. and within literally a year or two are broke and they wonder how they managed to spend so much and end up back at square one. If I bought lottery tickets I'd take the yearly sum. Fix up the house a bit. Buy the empty lot next door and add a few rooms, good fences, etc. Then do something to help abandoned animals. But I'd have someone set up an automatic payment of bills before the rest.

I'd do as I do now, pay the bills, fund the food fund, the toy fund, and put something in the rainy day fund before anything got spent on whim. Your typical broke lottery winner saw *things* as an equivilant to happiness, which they are not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 09:31 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,494,717 times
"Every increased possession loads us with new weariness."
- John Ruskin, The Seven Lamps of Architecture (1849)

Having lived A and witnessed firsthand the vicissitudes of B, I would prefer something less striving and less stressful. In the struggle to make one’s way in the world, it is difficult not to fall prey to avarice and ambition. Everyone wants to succeed, but there is only room for few at the top. Even so, there would seem but little satisfaction in acquiring wealth and power when one does not know how to use either wisely or justly. Indeed, what good is it for a man to gain the whole world when he must leave it as naked as he was born? It is, as the poet said, "A sordid boon!" The true treasure in life is not the acquisition of riches or power - for one cannot hold on to either without constant strife - but to live in peace and tranquility. To be always worried about one’s property is hardly tranquil; and likewise, to be constantly fighting to maintain dominance over others is anything but peaceful. To be happy, one needs only some quiet place to enjoy the company of one’s thoughts; and if fortunate enough to have friends, their company as well.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:44 AM

12 posts, read 14,711 times
Hi,
Isnt there something to learn from a leader like Warren Buffet. Have all the wealth in the world you can have, but live a humble life?

If somebody would give that kind of an option on a plate, I sure would choose the one similar to his.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:00 AM

364 posts, read 708,080 times
A. - I like working.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:27 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
It really depends on individual. I mean its like asking about marriage and even having kids.Even chnages with stage of life nmany instances.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:17 PM

507 posts, read 513,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelOrear View Post
Hello,

Which life do you think is more fulling and enjoyable and which would you prefer:

A. Being a middle to upper middle class professional living in a middle class suburban house.

B. Being a megamillionaire with a mansion and many chaities and companies.

Thanks
A. Is what I am used to growing up in and seeing but it doesn't really fulfill me financially

B. Sounds like fun from the financial standpoint (I dont' necessarily need a mansion because that is more money and property taxes) but seems more stressful. You have to oversee employees, your various bank accounts, your accountants who help with those bank accounts so they don't steal, family members who want something, etc

Now that I think about it A for the long haul because I can see that being a lifestyle (even without finances) that is more for me.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:21 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,835,336 times
Anyone who says "money can't buy you happiness" is just someone who has never had a considerably sizable income. I will agree that money doesn't necessarily make you happy but it allows you to buy a lot stuff that definitely does and also allows for vacations that provide tremendous happiness. I find the more I make, the more enjoyable time you can have in life. Along with it comes additional responsibility and pressure but that is all part of it and I guess some people aren't cut out for that aspect. I would pick more wealth and companies any day of the week.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:29 PM

2,836 posts, read 3,494,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Anyone who says "money can't buy you happiness" is just someone who has never had a considerably sizable income. I will agree that money doesn't necessarily make you happy but it allows you to buy a lot stuff that definitely does and also allows for vacations that provide tremendous happiness. I find the more I make, the more enjoyable time you can have in life. Along with it comes additional responsibility and pressure but that is all part of it and I guess some people aren't cut out for that aspect. I would pick more wealth and companies any day of the week.
Well, I have had a considerably sizable income; and it doesn't buy happiness - it buys comfort, but nothing more. You will find this out for yourself to your personal detriment and loss.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:44 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelOrear View Post
Hello,

Which life do you think is more fulling and enjoyable and which would you prefer:

A. Being a middle to upper middle class professional living in a middle class suburban house.

B. Being a megamillionaire with a mansion and many chaities and companies.

Thanks
Well, I can only guess.... I think I could handle being a megamillionaire, yah definitely...I could buy alot of needed things , for a lot of needy people, and I know that would prove most enjoyable.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:30 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,835,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
Well, I have had a considerably sizable income; and it doesn't buy happiness - it buys comfort, but nothing more. You will find this out for yourself to your personal detriment and loss.
I have also had a significant income and I have to disagree so remind me of that while I am on the beach with a cocktail in my hand and happiness is just dripping off of me. I agree it doesn't buy "happiness" but it does buy a lot of stuff that does in fact make me very happy.

I actually was on the other side of the coin for a while due to the recession and stupidity of bankers and I can tell you 100% without a doubt that lack of income brings a ton of unhappiness. Those were the most miserable years of my life and I will do everything I can to keep from ever being in that position again.

I guess it may be different for some people, I actually enjoy the pressure and intensity that comes with owning businesses and dealing with all of the responsibilities as well rewards that come along with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates