Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 03:22 PM

209 posts, read 314,374 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Which life do you think is more fulling and enjoyable and which would you prefer:

A. Being a middle to upper middle class professional living in a middle class suburban house.

B. Being a megamillionaire with a mansion and many chaities and companies.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 03:43 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,469,609 times
I think A is the best choice. There's no worry about kidnapping, for one thing and I think children who inherit huge sums of money are often ne'er-do-wells.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:40 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,305,025 times
I was raised upper middle, and we had an very unimposing house, but we had a good life. We went on vacation every year and I grew up knowing not just my grandmother but my great aunts and uncles as well. Later things not go so well and I'd be considered poverty level now.

But you know, happiness is NOT about things. I can't afford a lot of what I'd like, but I was never raised to be defined by what I had either. My parents were not poor, or rich and yet they both grew up during the Great Depression, and had to learn to be responsible.

I have things which I saved up for, and they mean a lot more to me than if I just on a whim charged them because I had to want and really see a need for them.

Having anything you want can often mean that little of it has any real value. It's not good to get everything you want. Back when new fortunes were rising and you had the old rich and the new rich, the difference was the old rich had expectations of their children and did not generally let them live by playing. If someone is flashing their money as worth, then you have to wonder if there is anything really worth showing off inside. This applies whatever one's financial status.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:09 PM

1,339 posts, read 3,472,644 times
Give me a million dollars and I will tell you... ...

Old 02-05-2013, 05:11 PM

44,258 posts, read 64,492,659 times
I actually am enjoying being right in the middle of the two choices.
But given the choices above, I'd pick vast wealth every time.
I don't understand why anyone wouldn't.
If for nothing else the freedom you could have to chuck it, cash it all in, and go do whatever you want whenever you want.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:40 PM

27,691 posts, read 28,796,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I actually am enjoying being right in the middle of the two choices.
But given the choices above, I'd pick vast wealth every time.
I don't understand why anyone wouldn't.
If for nothing else the freedom you could have to chuck it, cash it all in, and go do whatever you want whenever you want.
Agreed. Who in the world would turn down being very wealthy?

Having said that, I define myself more by what I do than what I have. A fulfilling life to me is doing things that I am passionate about. More often than not, having money gives me the freedom to do those things.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:41 PM

14,439 posts, read 14,386,958 times
I pick "A" because that describes me pretty well and I am biased. If I'm doing it than that must be the right choice, huh?

Actually, I have some pretty set beliefs. I happen to think that the professional class is the group that makes things happen in this country. We do all of the following:

1. Teach children and college students.
2. Design and run our nation's transportation, communications, aerospace, and information infrastructure.
3. Treat the sick.
4. Interpret and enforce laws along with resolving society's conflicts.
5. Lead religious organizations and provide inspiration.
6. Report and communicate the news.
7. Market goods and services, account for financial transactions, manage large organizations, and prepare taxes.

All that, and I've probably left some things out. The truth is that America might be able to function without the rich. I doubt it could function without its professionals.

I'm proud to be part of the professional class. I won't refuse money if someone wants to give it to me. However, what's far important is not the money that we professional people have earned. Its the hard tasks we've accomplished for this country and the better world that we've built doing it. Sometimes "value" can't be expressed in terms of "dollars" alone.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:51 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,801,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelOrear View Post
Hello,

Which life do you think is more fulling and enjoyable and which would you prefer:

A. Being a middle to upper middle class professional living in a middle class suburban house.

B. Being a megamillionaire with a mansion and many chaities and companies.

Thanks

Obviously #B. Financial freedom. you're free to pursue your own hobbies and interests.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:22 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,333,105 times
Unless you are a trust fund baby who inherited their money, you have to work hard to earn a lot of money. Generally speaking, the more money you earn, the more sacrafice you have to make. To me, certain things are not worth sacraficing. Not being involved in my children's life is not one of them. Not being able to spend time with my wife is not one of them. Not being able to spend time with and care for my parents is not one of them. Not being able to get a good night's sleep is not one of them. Not being able to go to the movies and enjoy recreational activities is not one of them.

I am upper middle class. I'm a physician. I earn a comfortable living but I'm not a member of the mega rich. I know people who earn millions but they work incredibly hard for that money and sacrifice a great deal of their personal life to earn that. I could choose to work more and earn a lot more money but it's not worth it to me because of the sacrifices I would have to make. Money isn't everything. They may earn a lot of money but they don't really get to enjoy it. They don't see their kids or get to go to their kids' soccer games or spend real time with them.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:25 PM
Itz

714 posts, read 2,202,263 times
I think a fullfilling and enjoyable life depends on the person and what they value.

Define Fulfilling?
Define Enjoyable?

To me having a fulfilling and enjoyable life is having a loving family, health and the ability to enjoy your life. Enjoying life doesn't have to be about money.. it can be about spending your weekend with your kids at the park or the zoo.. how about a nice dinner with your partner (nice being about the two of you and not the size of the check).

I know several millionaires. They work and work and work - constantly. Is that fulfilling? Maybe it is to them. I also know some wives that do nothing but complain because their husband is never home to spend time with them or their children - obviously not fulfilling to them.

I know several people who are lower income - upper middle income and have extremely fulfilling lives. Instead of constantly working they are at home enjoying each other and their family. They do short trips that mean something to them instead of the size of the check. They don't worry about having the most expensive xyz to impress their "shallow" neighbors. They go outside and talk to their neighbors and help each other.

Obviously I would enjoy being very wealthy, but I really don't want to work all the time. If I won the lottery I would start my own business - and work all the time. Fullfililing? Don't know.. Enjoyable.. Probably not since I went through that with my ex husband.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates