Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 12:23 PM

36 posts, read 31,702 times

Advertisements

[quote=Neuling;30913082]She certainly looks more like a rich glamour girl to me.

quote]</p>
is it because of her skin tone and features?

Old 08-11-2013, 12:25 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,567,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
Madonna would like to have a word with you. Even Spanish-language telenovelas are more widely seen around the world than anything Oprah has ever put on film.
Oprah Winfrey is a BILLIONAIRE. Madonna is not.

And it should not matter what Oprah's net worth happens to be, she should not have been discriminated against because of the color of her skin. What did the sales clerk care that the bag was expensive. If Oprah had maxed out her credit card to buy it, why was that the concern of the sales clerk?

I'm glad that Oprah commented about this incident because people like that sales clerk need to be put in their place.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:25 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,473,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton360 View Post
But, let's make this into a "racist" story instead.

Racist shop girl said I couldn't afford a £24,000 handbag, says billionaire Oprah Winfrey | Mail Online

Call up Al and Jesse!
Here's what I find funny. She claims the high road by just leaving and says "I could have had the big blow-up thing and thrown down the black card and all that stuff."

But then she goes and does an interview calling them racist.

Now I do not argue that what happened wasn't an example of racism. It sounds like it probably was. But to take a superior attitude about not throwing down the black card with one clerk in a store, while you're doing a televised interview in which you're throwing down the black card is pretty absurd.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Again, that saleswoman probably also treats white customers that way when she thinks that they can't afford something. But probably she is more likely to treat black women that way as everyone knows that the average black person is much less wealthy than the average white person, especially in Europe.
That sales clerk chose the wrong black person to stereotype as "poor".

25,947 posts, read 24,789,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The bottom line is that it is a sales clerk's JOB to wait on customers and not to attempt to guess a person's net worth. That sales clerk was simply a low wage earner on a pointless power trip. I'm sure that the sales clerk would have gladly grabbed that $38k bag for the white mistress of the leader of some random banana republic.
Not necessarily. Good salespeople also advise, especially in more expensive shops. It is not Walmart where you throw a 10-pack of socks for 20 bucks onto the belt

15,852 posts, read 35,178,472 times
Anyone who is stupid enough to spend more than $30,000 on a purse is an idiot. I don't care how rich you are. Poor Oprah just can't get over being a 'po little black girl and has to prove to the world how important and wealthy she is. Even store clerks. I feel monumentally sorry for her.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-11-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Here's what I find funny. She claims the high road by just leaving and says "I could have had the big blow-up thing and thrown down the black card and all that stuff."

But then she goes and does an interview calling them racist.

Now I do not argue that what happened wasn't an example of racism. It sounds like it probably was. But to take a superior attitude about not throwing down the black card with one clerk in a store, while you're doing a televised interview in which you're throwing down the black card is pretty absurd.
She took the high road by not mentioning the store's name (Trois Pomme) but I am GLAD that Oprah spoke up. It is NOT ok to treat people differently based on the color of their skin. Oprah has a voice and she used it for all of the nameless, faceless people who can not.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:30 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,789,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianafire View Post
is it because of her skin tone and features?
No, style I would say. Oprah looks much older than Beyonce, more like one of those desperate housewives, or their aunt

Old 08-11-2013, 12:30 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,220,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Again, that saleswoman probably also treats white customers that way when she thinks that they can't afford something. But probably she is more likely to treat black women that way as everyone knows that the average black person is much less wealthy than the average white person, especially in Europe.
WELL THERE YOU GO. And that's why this upset her, because it's a racist stereotype.

Old 08-11-2013, 12:31 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,763,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Oprah Winfrey is a BILLIONAIRE. Madonna is not.
Money doesn't buy class or status. Just ask the Real Housewives of Atlanta or the Basketball Wives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates