Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 01:09 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,761,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I'd rather not live in any city regardless of my financial status because I don't like cities, not even just to visit them.

But, people live in neighborhoods with other people of a similar income level so if I absolutely had to live in a city, I'd rather be a rich person in a poor city...with a second home in someplace that's not a city.
Okay, well if you had to chose between being a poor person in a wealthy suburb or a rich person in a poor suburb?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 04:56 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,947,168 times
I would rather be poor in a wealthy city. The opportunities to get out of poverty are better if you can start some business that rely on the wealthy as customers. Plus the schools, amenities, etc. are better. Being rich in a poor city would make you a target for theft or at the very least, resentment.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:09 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,493,295 times
I like living in a poor city for the reasons mentioned by ciceropolo. I'm restoring a house--with great architectural detail--in a once elite neighborhood, for a small fraction of what it would cost to do something similar in a rich city.

Old 11-01-2013, 01:33 PM

1,806 posts, read 1,737,663 times
It really depends on the cities in question. As long as you don't have to be stuck in a small town full of ignorant, racist, uneducated, homophobes neither option is really bad. There are nice neighborhoods in most any city.

That said, I'd rather have an average income and live in somewhere like Seattle than live in Atlanta where I have to spend have of my life stuck in a car like a loser.

Old 11-02-2013, 05:54 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,761,515 times
After more thought, I do know some wealthy families who have a second house in a wealthy city. Even though their man house is in a poor city where their high pay job is. Their kids all go to private schools. And they do spend time in nearby affluent cities.

As is the case of families who work in the agriculture business in communities like Salinas, Bakersfield, Stockton, and Turlock. in Salinas, I know couple who shops and spends their free time in Monterey. No need for a second home because they are close enough. In the case of the Valley city people, well I see a lot of them having second homes on the coast and already have plans to retire on the coast when they can escape their Valley cities.

I would not live in a poor city if I knew my kids couldn't go to private school. At least if I'm poor in a rich city, then my kids can have a chance by attending a good public school.

Their also the stigma of living in a "poor city". No one wants to have that association.

Old 11-02-2013, 06:58 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,117,601 times
Money in a poor city. Can always travel.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:08 AM

577 posts, read 435,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Would you rather be not making a lot of money and be in a lower socio-economic class, but live in a wealthy city or would you rather be making more money and be in a upper socioeconomic class, but live in a poorer city with more crime.

Consider, that many serial killers and serious crimes have occurred in poorer cities. Usually the victim of the crimes tend to be poorer people.

Also, consider that if it's truly a poor city the public schools won't be good. All though, you are wealthy and in this case can afford private school for your kids if you want.
A rich man in a poor city.. because I could turn that city around.

Most poor people are disrespected, marginalized, called "lazy" . It harms self esteem and self worth. Looking at many posts on this forum (under politics and othe controversy) is it any wonder that poor people in poor neighborhoods seem to have little self worth and esteem. The vile that comes out of peoples mouths about them is just horrible. Is it any wonder they feel desperate and lost.

With money - something can be done to fix it. Buy buildings in the neighborhood - fix them up.. offer residents a rent to own type situation to build pride in ownership - bring in work to those neighborhoods and TREAT them with respect - making them feel valuable.. Build a person up and they will begin to live life on the upswing.

A poor person in a rich city would just be looked down on , marginalized, stigmatized, called "lazy" and judged....

Old 05-02-2020, 07:57 AM

274 posts, read 174,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2beAMom View Post
A rich man in a poor city.. because I could turn that city around.

Most poor people are disrespected, marginalized, called "lazy" . It harms self esteem and self worth. Looking at many posts on this forum (under politics and othe controversy) is it any wonder that poor people in poor neighborhoods seem to have little self worth and esteem. The vile that comes out of peoples mouths about them is just horrible. Is it any wonder they feel desperate and lost.

With money - something can be done to fix it. Buy buildings in the neighborhood - fix them up.. offer residents a rent to own type situation to build pride in ownership - bring in work to those neighborhoods and TREAT them with respect - making them feel valuable.. Build a person up and they will begin to live life on the upswing.

A poor person in a rich city would just be looked down on , marginalized, stigmatized, called "lazy" and judged....
Honestly I'd rather be judged and looked down on by the rich, than to live in a city with immense poverty, because one person can't really turn that around, they can help change some lives for sure, but this is a city we're talking about.

At least in the rich city I would be able to walk around areas in the city without feel unsafe compared to if I were walking through an area in financial crisis, especially considering I'd be a rich person walking through a poor area, not a good idea. Plus when places are poor they almost always have a super high corruption problem.

This would affect all aspects of life, jobs, infrastructure, schools, quality of life in general. Sometimes it's much harder and a much more complicated process to help these citizens out when the root problem in most poor cities is corruption at every level.

Old 05-02-2020, 08:02 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,390,617 times
Wealth always creates a path for survival and sets you up for success. Even in the poorest of countries the rich live better than the poor.

Old 05-02-2020, 09:45 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Cool hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Would you rather be a poor man in a wealthy city or a rich man in a poor city?

Looks like a false dichotomy.

Me?

I'd rather be a middle class guy in either a city or small town.

That's what I am and I've lived in urban and rural areas and in between.

Life on the margins? Not for me.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates