Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 07:02 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,333,105 times

Advertisements

I would not flown him in. I think it is a dangerous. I'm a physician also. I know many physicians who disagreed with the decision to fly the patient. With Ebola, we don't know the reservoir. 80% of afflicted patients die from it. Bringing it to U.S. soil was a bad decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 08:26 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,913,145 times
I think it was a good idea. The person who has Ebola is contagious only through bodily fluid contact. The chances of it becoming airborne is slime to none. They need to bring it over in a controlled manner to research it better. Ebola will eventually come to the US like every other disease and when it does we should know as much as possible about it. Even if it did somehow leak, its not going to break out like it does in African countries.

Americans are pretty smart people, but problems start happening when we start taking scientific and medical advice from people like Donald Trump. The CDC is a great organization and I trust them over Trump any day of the week.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:37 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,609,330 times
Default Should Ebola virus victims be stopped from coming to the USA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
YES! Keep them out! For once I agree with this guy.

I don't care how low the risk is...a risk is a risk. Put my tax dollars to work to build treatment facilities over there. That's one issue where I don't mind my tax dollars going to.
One of the great things about being an American is that America stands behind us and is ready to support us in a time of need.

So yes, those Americans should absolutely be returned to the US where they can receive better treatment. Maybe the CDC can learn something significant in regards to fighting ebola, too.

Why anyone with more than three brain cells capable of firing simultaneously would put credence in anything that fool said is a real puzzle.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:41 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,571,368 times
I could see it being spread from the lab too. I'm not sure what the precautions are but I had the impression that they would contain it near the patient... unless they are going to treat the patients without lab work, I could see spreading to lab workers but I don't know how infectious it is either. That said, I don't know much about the lab that they are using or the precautions. Being in Atlanta, I'm guessing they are using the CDC lab they have down there?

But I don't think it's right to deny them access to the US, from what I've heard, they are American citizens (or even if they aren't we shouldn't deny to help someone when we can based off of fear)... Or can we ban "smokers/drinkers" people from the US because they are "infectious" as well and deadly

the ebola thing is turning into the old HIV scare back in 80s, maybe not as big but same mentality to me

Old 08-03-2014, 10:14 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,639,069 times
Should Ebola virus victims be stopped from coming to the USA?

Yes. Unless and only if they can be specially quarantined from the time they leave their country until they are officially cured or dead and in the ground/cremated here. And only US citizens. Can you imagine Ebola getting loose in NYC or Atlanta, or Los Angeles? Of course some of you out there with no conscience would love to see that happen.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:38 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,999,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
I think it was a good idea. The person who has Ebola is contagious only through bodily fluid contact. The chances of it becoming airborne is slime to none. They need to bring it over in a controlled manner to research it better. Ebola will eventually come to the US like every other disease and when it does we should know as much as possible about it. Even if it did somehow leak, its not going to break out like it does in African countries.

Americans are pretty smart people, but problems start happening when we start taking scientific and medical advice from people like Donald Trump. The CDC is a great organization and I trust them over Trump any day of the week.
I wish I had your confidence. As a front line health care worker (respiratory therapist), this situation terrifies me. So many errors happen everyday that the general public is unaware of. There is no cure or treatment that could warrant bringing them back here.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:05 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,417,152 times
I realize that there is nothing 100% safe. However, I think it's right to bring them back for treatment.

1) It is the right thing to do. These people were fighting this disease overseas before it got to our shores. They deserve the best medical care. And they are US citizens.

2) The eyes of the entire nation are on the CDC and this healthcare facility - they know what screwing up means. They're not going to be playing fast and loose with established protocols.

3) It's not transmitted THAT easily. You have to be exposed to bodily fluids. The reason this spreads so easily in Africa is because they don't have the ability to maintain a lot of healthcare-related hygiene standards when taking care of the patients in their own homes. They don't have running water, indoor toilets or easy access to disinfectants for the most part. Even their healthcare facilities are substandard.

4) Someone needs to study this disease and how it responds to treatment in a state-of-the-art, sterile environment. The argument can then be made for the construction of such healthcare facilities in countries where ebola has become an epidemic. Developed nations should have jumped on this years ago when the first outbreak occurred. Also, eventually this disease will arrive here in a non-controlled manner - that's just inevitable. We need to know how to handle it.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:26 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,913,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kharing View Post
I wish I had your confidence. As a front line health care worker (respiratory therapist), this situation terrifies me. So many errors happen everyday that the general public is unaware of. There is no cure or treatment that could warrant bringing them back here.
I'm sure, I've done work in El Salvador and Honduras. My father regularly does work all over the world. Diseases can be a scary thing, but they did everything properly. Is there a chance a mistake could happen, of course, but again it's small chance, worth taking.

Of all the diseases in the US being worked on in labs, Ebola should be the least of our concerns. In fact, they need Ebola in a lab here so we can research it, that's the only way we will be able to prevent and cure it in the future.

It looks like the patient is improving, and will likely survive. It's purely speculative, but what would have happened if he was left there, he could have died.

Condition of Ebola-infected US doctor has improved, says CDC director | Society | theguardian.com

Ebola will never effect the US or any modern country the way it effects regions of Africa, and if anyone doesn't agree they are delusional or watch too many movies. There is not a single confirmed instance of Ebola becoming airborne.

People should really do research before deciding the fate of someone... it wasn't selfish to bring him here at all, it was a smart move decided by rational thinking.

Ebola Hemorrhagic Fever | CDC

EDIT: There is no cure for Ebola, but it is known that replacing bodily fluids and keeping the body healthy and active can greatly decrease the fatality rate.

Old 08-03-2014, 02:06 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,913,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
Donald Trump is an idiot. And he knows nothing about medicine except what he reads in the papers.

Ebola is not SARS.

Ebola is not a respiratory disease. It cannot be spread through the air. It can only be spread through direct contact with blood or other bodily fluids from someone who is infected. With proper precautions it is easier to contain than the flu.

The spread of Ebola in Africa is due in large part to their inability to use universal precautions when dealing with an infectious patient. They reuse scrubs, needles, and other instruments without disinfecting them or discarding them. Ebola is a hemorrhagic disease. It makes a patient bleed in addition to the diarrhea and vomiting. Aid workers and family members that have direct contact with the patient (and in some cases don't understand how the disease is spread or what to avoid) become infected because they are in contact with bodily fluids. A patient becomes infected and family members don't seek aid immediately, instead caring for the patient at home.

Ebola is dangerous because it is deadly and has a very high mortality rate. Its infection rate is NOT what makes it dangerous. It is not air-borne. It is not water-borne. It is not food-borne.

Dude! You should work with the CDC with your knowledge of this.

What was one of the worst things which strickened American Indians when Europeans and others came to these shores?
Diseases that never existed before which they had no immunity to. Common colds and flus did them in.

Ebola poses the same threat here. If you disagree you are in denial. Our cities are packed with folks who have your cavalier attitude and will never take precautions to prevent contracting ebola.
On top of that, we have an influx of basically ignorant invaders from down south who have no concept of what diseases are or how they spread. They live on top of each other, as chattle, trading sweat, spit and other bodily fluids with no regard.
Certain concerned groups want the invaders and ebola vessels welcomed here by one and all, POTUS headling the groups.

Old 08-03-2014, 03:57 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,380,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
What was one of the worst things which strickened American Indians when Europeans and others came to these shores?
Diseases that never existed before which they had no immunity to. Common colds and flus did them in.

Ebola poses the same threat here.
Colds and flus are airborne viruses. Ebola is not. You won't get sick from breathing the same air. And of course you will never have the opportunity to breathe the same air from either of these patients unless you are a health care worker at Emory or one of the people on the transport team. Are you?

Besides, it wasn't colds and flus that killed off swaths of native americans when europeans first visited. It was diseases like chicken pox, measles, and to some extent smallpox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates