Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 02:46 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,905,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post

They keep saying that it is "highly contagious" but "hard to catch" and that leaves me confused.
That is the point of disinformation and newspeak - confusion of the masses. The news networks throw about conflicting stories so the public never really knows what is fact, speculation or conjecture. If any tries to discern them they are labeled negatively. RACIST is a good one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2014, 03:26 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,756,788 times
Man in NYC cleared of Ebola virus as death toll creeps toward 1,000 overseas; infected dumped into Liberian streets - NY Daily News

Just a little update, the guy in NY did NOT HAVE EBOLA.

So can we calm down slightly?

Old 08-07-2014, 04:03 PM

17,638 posts, read 17,743,919 times
Isn't the CDC the same government organization that misshandled small pox?

Old 08-07-2014, 05:28 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,376,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Isn't the CDC the same government organization that misshandled small pox?
No. It isn't.

The NIH found vials of smallpox in the back of an old storage room that have probably been there since the 50s. They sent the vials to the CDC in Atlanta for testing and disposal.

So:

A: it was the NIH and not the CDC.

and

B: the NIH found the vials and took all appropriate measures to make sure they were safely transferred to the CDC. So it wasn't even the NIH that mishandled the vials.

Old 08-07-2014, 05:38 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,376,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
They keep saying that it is "highly contagious" but "hard to catch" and that leaves me confused.
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
That is the point of disinformation and newspeak - confusion of the masses. The news networks throw about conflicting stories so the public never really knows what is fact, speculation or conjecture.
It's not disinformation. It's just bad reporting. CDC and WHO fact sheets on Ebola don't even use the word "contagious" much less the phrase "highly contagious". Because it isn't.

Maybe this will put it in perspective:

Ebola Virus: How Contagious?

Old 08-07-2014, 07:25 PM

288 posts, read 204,821 times
Did anyone else watch the legislative hearings on Ebola today? These countries are in a very untenable position. They are trying to contain the situation but they need help and while I know it is very unpopular for the US to spend $ overseas I think it would be in our own best interest to offer everything we can. We
are not talking about the first people with small pox; this is here & now. If we do something now perhaps
we can keep it from spreading further. Knowledge is power & when we are up against something like Ebola we can use all the knowledge/power we can get. I don't see a need for people to run screaming in the streets in dispair & undue panic isn't the answer; we do however need to take a serious look @ this and act accordingly.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:13 PM

37,152 posts, read 42,269,129 times
I'm perfectly fine with those infected coming home for treatment since they under care and being handled safely. It's all the other people who come here with it that we need to worry about. What we don't know can hurt us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates