Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 10:20 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,051,645 times

Advertisements

I may be medically ignorant, but logically I just don't get it. Not sure if 'the news' is accurate, but if this is truly the 1st time Ebola is in the western hemisphere - then the stupidity of asking for it is amazing. We are totally capable of exporting care to them -- I see no reason to import the disease to the care..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 12:19 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,384,730 times
Donald Trump is an idiot. And he knows nothing about medicine except what he reads in the papers.

Ebola is not SARS.

Ebola is not a respiratory disease. It cannot be spread through the air. It can only be spread through direct contact with blood or other bodily fluids from someone who is infected. With proper precautions it is easier to contain than the flu.

The spread of Ebola in Africa is due in large part to their inability to use universal precautions when dealing with an infectious patient. They reuse scrubs, needles, and other instruments without disinfecting them or discarding them. Ebola is a hemorrhagic disease. It makes a patient bleed in addition to the diarrhea and vomiting. Aid workers and family members that have direct contact with the patient (and in some cases don't understand how the disease is spread or what to avoid) become infected because they are in contact with bodily fluids. A patient becomes infected and family members don't seek aid immediately, instead caring for the patient at home.

Ebola is dangerous because it is deadly and has a very high mortality rate. Its infection rate is NOT what makes it dangerous. It is not air-borne. It is not water-borne. It is not food-borne.

Old 08-02-2014, 01:06 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,807,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
Donald Trump is an idiot. And he knows nothing about medicine except what he reads in the papers.

Ebola is not SARS.

Ebola is not a respiratory disease. It cannot be spread through the air. It can only be spread through direct contact with blood or other bodily fluids from someone who is infected. With proper precautions it is easier to contain than the flu.

The spread of Ebola in Africa is due in large part to their inability to use universal precautions when dealing with an infectious patient. They reuse scrubs, needles, and other instruments without disinfecting them or discarding them. Ebola is a hemorrhagic disease. It makes a patient bleed in addition to the diarrhea and vomiting. Aid workers and family members that have direct contact with the patient (and in some cases don't understand how the disease is spread or what to avoid) become infected because they are in contact with bodily fluids. A patient becomes infected and family members don't seek aid immediately, instead caring for the patient at home.

Ebola is dangerous because it is deadly and has a very high mortality rate. Its infection rate is NOT what makes it dangerous. It is not air-borne. It is not water-borne. It is not food-borne.
So far. An expert or two interviewed on radio programs I have heard have expressed some concern about the virus mutating.

Old 08-02-2014, 03:01 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,954,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
YES! Keep them out! For once I agree with this guy.

I don't care how low the risk is...a risk is a risk. Put my tax dollars to work to build treatment facilities over there. That's one issue where I don't mind my tax dollars going to.

Donald Trump Says Ebola Patients Should Be Barred from U.S. - NBC News

YES it's not even the protocol that says CONFINE and CONTAIN.

Old 08-02-2014, 03:06 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,954,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
These two workers were there specifically to help with the ebola outbreak and "do god's work". They did know the risk but naively believe that their god would protect them as they were also there to promote their christian agenda. And their two sponsoring missionary organizations (the North Carolina-based Christian organization Samaritan's Purse and missionary group SIM USA) should be the ones to pick up the cost of flying them back to the US treating them, not the rest of the US taxpayers.

They already ARE.

Moderator cut: against forum guidelines

And WHO SAID they felt God would protect them?

Jeeze, just hyperbole all you want there.

Greta Van Susteren and husband support Samaritan's Purse and have donated a ton of time, promotion air time, and money and she's a Liberal Scientologist.

http://www.samaritanspurse.org/what-we-do/greta-home/

http://www.christianpost.com/news/fr...-files-114205/

http://www.charitynavigator.org/inde...3#.U91aMvldV8E

http://www.wcnc.com/story/news/healt...erum/13410605/

Last edited by Oldhag1; 08-02-2014 at 05:02 PM..

Old 08-02-2014, 03:14 PM

28 posts, read 47,031 times
My friend and I were having this exact argument. She was like oh my god how can they let them come home and get treated here. Not worth the risks blah blah blah. Until I said if that was your daughter would you want them to fly her home to get the best possible medical care especially if it could be a matter of survival or not. She of course changed her tune fast.

Old 08-02-2014, 04:57 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,062,485 times
I believe he will only be able to get supportive care here; he may have gotten better care where he was (although conditions were primitive). He was able to get a transfusion from someone who survived ebola in Africa, hoping to get antibodies. Don't know if that is possible here.

Old 08-02-2014, 06:00 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,051,645 times
The "what if it were your kid" argument is a nice ploy, but in truth is has no real value, as are most "what if" ploys. What if your daughter is ordered to nurse them? what if the cleaning person gets infected and unknowingly spreads it? what if the waste is not disposed of properly? etc etc etc. I think it's just a bad idea to knowingly import a disease which is currently not known in an area. CDC, US Dr's and facility support are not exportable? If it's 2 patients, and the US wanted to, a unit could be set up there, and there are already excellent modern facilities on the continent which could support it.

However - moot question at this point - though asking why is still valuable. Why has the policy changed for these 2? Why the need to be in the US?

Old 08-02-2014, 07:09 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,237,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaduck1212 View Post
My friend and I were having this exact argument. She was like oh my god how can they let them come home and get treated here. Not worth the risks blah blah blah. Until I said if that was your daughter would you want them to fly her home to get the best possible medical care especially if it could be a matter of survival or not. She of course changed her tune fast.
If it were my daughter, they would not be going over there to potentially contract Ebola in the first place.

No way should a single person be allowed to step foot on US soil coming out of there, especially when they are known to be infected. The US population should not be put at risk because of the choices of a few people who chose to be there.

I don't think people realize the seriousness of this disease. Gagging on pus, while your organs liquefy and you pass chunks of your intestines through your bowels is not a fun death.

Old 08-02-2014, 09:06 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,807,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
I believe he will only be able to get supportive care here; he may have gotten better care where he was (although conditions were primitive). He was able to get a transfusion from someone who survived ebola in Africa, hoping to get antibodies. Don't know if that is possible here.
Planes carry supplies and people both ways. If our DHS and CDC cant put together a task force and logistics implementation on a dime, then what good are they?

I am adamantly against deliberately importing such a high risk and high death rate disease into our nation.

And its not like the Government has never tried to fool us with their happy talk in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates