Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 08:00 PM

4,577 posts, read 5,669,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Just heard on 6abc news that someone in NY is being treated with signs of the ebola virus that traveled to Africa. Here we go...

http://6abc.com/health/mount-sinai-h...-ebola/239735/
Moderator cut: Against forum guidelines Please read for content, not for inference:

"A man who recently visited West Africa and had a high fever and gastrointestinal symptoms was placed in isolation at a New York hospital on Monday and was being tested for possible Ebola but likely didn't have it, health officials said."

He has a high fever. He's probably got diarrhea. He's been to Africa. That does NOT mean he has Ebola. He is being TESTED to see IF he has Ebola. High fever and diarrhea are also symptoms of a wide variety of gastrointestinal infections, encephalitis, e-coli, dysentery, etc., etc.

How did you get fronm "likely didn't have it," and "was being tested" to head-smacking doom and gloom? I think it is important to gather FACTS before making ASSUMPTIONS. Hospitals get patients with high fever and diarrhea EVERY DAY in their emergency room -- but today, suddenly, it's OMIGOD, EBOLA! Jeez.

Quote:
What do you mean here we go what? Do you think this is some joke or something It was the top story on the local news and next on the abc world news top story. Obviously it's a topic that most americans are concerned with.
No, it's typical irresponsible journalism -- "if it bleeds, it leads." Congress is on hiatus, the President is laying low, and everyone is tired of the immigration stories. Dog days of summer -- they have to whip the public up to SOMETHING to get ratings.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 08-04-2014 at 09:32 PM.. Reason: Merge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 10:42 PM

12,047 posts, read 8,433,033 times
I think a rational response is deep concern. That's not much different from the attitude during the polio epidemic, the annual pleas from the CDC for flu vaccinations or the campaigns to have children vaccinated for childhood diseases.

Anything and everything that can be done to make people aware of how seriously medical people take these issues and how to protect yourself and your family sounds more preservative than panicky to me. When we mix people together with information overload it seem we end up with a lot of people at the far ends of the spectrum that spans wry hipster ennui at one end all the way to chicken little sky-is-falling panic at the other.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:17 PM

My husband was wearing a shirt with an Emory logo on it this week at a conference, and had stopped in Peachtree Center to grab some lunch. A stranger walked up to him and asked him, "How do you feel about them bringing Ebola over to Emory?" My husband looked at the guy and said, "Very proud," and walked away.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:30 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
I wouldn't go so far as to say I am PROUD we brought Ebola victims to the US. I'll just say you gotta do what you gotta do. They are American citizens. We need to take care of our own.

Old 08-05-2014, 05:13 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,415,523 times
In my humble opinion, I believe, they easily could've taken the infected doctors to a remote area in the US territories with the same health care set up (Army has plenty) and with the same new medicines to combat this deadly disease without the risks to the CONUS and the American citizens. I'm sorry, but at some point, we need to CLOSE off our boarders.When it makes complete sense.

Thank you
Knight

Old 08-05-2014, 05:16 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,726,478 times
Quote:
YES! Keep them out! For once I agree with this guy.

I don't care how low the risk is...a risk is a risk. Put my tax dollars to work to build treatment facilities over there. That's one issue where I don't mind my tax dollars going to.

Donald Trump Says Ebola Patients Should Be Barred from U.S. - NBC News
This issue is not debatable....of course we should keep them out!

Had there been an Internet in the 50s and 60s with a CD forum, this thread would not exist. Again, because there simply is nothing to debate. Everyone, then, save but the .1% that will always be out there on the fringe and are always brushed aside and marginalized in a strong and healthy culture, would agree that all possible measures should be taken to isolate this deadly threat and to keep it as far from our population as humanly possible.

The fact that in today's upside-down PC infected and paralyzed culture we have a roaring debate about this - and an almost dead-even poll over in P&OC - is just another piece of the puzzle that fits perfectly with the rest of the telling signs of a country in rapid decline.

Our national suicide continues unabated.

Old 08-05-2014, 06:57 AM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
We have hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of kids walking around the US who have not been vaccinated for very contagious diseases who have the potential to spread those illnesses to infants who are too young to have been vaccinated, other unvaccinated people, and immunocompromised people (like myself) including cancer patients or survivors, those who have had transplants, and the elderly. I'm much more concerned about them than a handful of contained people with a disease that requires close contact to spread.

If people start hopping on the subway bleeding from their eyes and rectum, then I'll be concerned. Until then, it's just a media stir-up.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
This issue is not debatable....of course we should keep them out!

Had there been an Internet in the 50s and 60s with a CD forum, this thread would not exist. Again, because there simply is nothing to debate. Everyone, then, save but the .1% that will always be out there on the fringe and are always brushed aside and marginalized in a strong and healthy culture, would agree that all possible measures should be taken to isolate this deadly threat and to keep it as far from our population as humanly possible.

The fact that in today's upside-down PC infected and paralyzed culture we have a roaring debate about this - and an almost dead-even poll over in P&OC - is just another piece of the puzzle that fits perfectly with the rest of the telling signs of a country in rapid decline.

Our national suicide continues unabated.

The issue is certainly worthy of debate, if for no other reason than to combat the knee-jerk panic that so many seem to be prone to. A healthy debate with cold hard facts, figures, and documented evidence serves to educate and inform.

Look at the reasons the virus is so virulent in Africa. It's not because it's a supervirus. It's a nasty one, for sure. But it only has outbreaks in the poorest of the poor areas of the world -- in places where less than $100 per capita is spent annually on health care, in conditions that are inconceivable to most Americans.

I think these American health care workers at least deserve the benefit of the doubt when it come to getting world-class treatment at home. In a month, I'm hoping that everyone will be looking back on this and saying, "Why did people get so excited?"

Old 08-05-2014, 07:12 PM

78 posts, read 63,293 times
Keep them 100% quaranteened while they are contagious. HAZMAT suits.

I don't think America should be put at risk for this virus. It should stay where it already is to prevent spreading it.

Old 08-06-2014, 02:17 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,904,050 times
They keep saying that it is "highly contagious" but "hard to catch" and that leaves me confused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates