Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2015, 05:22 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,277,801 times

Advertisements

I think anyone thinking about imposing standards on how others should dress, should take a good look at themselves..... YOU ARE THE PROBLEM.

Change your behavior. We could all be naked and you should still be accountable for your behavior.

Seriously.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:38 PM

18,129 posts, read 25,278,015 times
I'm gonna come up with the "male balls cleavage pants" and i'm gonna complain anytime I see somebody looking at it.

If you are showing it, don't complain when people look

Old 04-08-2015, 08:09 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,388,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I'm gonna come up with the "male balls cleavage pants" and i'm gonna complain anytime I see somebody looking at it.

If you are showing it, don't complain when people look
Well, there are guys who wear loose gym shorts while working out and flash other people. It happens. Also some men show in regular dress pants like Jon Hamm. If a guy or girl is looking at your crotch that should be fine, it's when it crosses the line to harassment. I don't see men or women approaching these guys at the gym and saying...oh baby show me you huge testes. We control ourselves. I am sure some gay males are attracted by that.

I don't know anyone who complains about a simple look, unless it devolves into a leer.

Men also wear tight pants, sleeveless shirts, v neck shirts, unbuttoned shirts, speedos, short shorts, go topless...often. People may choose to look. You are welcome to be happy about that, miffed, or ambivalent. Women have that right to.
However, aren't you glad that it doesn't devolve into true harassment? Wouldn't women like that too?
Looking does not equal harassment, and no one is arguing that it is.

You are welcome to wear hot pants that showcase your family jewels. Isn't it great that you have the freedom to choose what you want to wear?

Here is a guy who runs shirtless and talks about his reasons why.
http://www.seriousrunning.com/blog/r...run-shirtless/
Is he asking to be harassed by women or gay men? Or is he just doing something because he wants to?

Last edited by Meyerland; 04-08-2015 at 08:23 PM..

Old 04-08-2015, 08:46 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Please give example of when it's the fault of the victim, or when the ends justify the means. Fully grown adults are in charge of there own behavior. We are not talking about some automatic response governed by the laws of nature like throwing a rubber ball of a wall. We are talking about people who have a choice to how they respond to how someone is dressed. There is no "She was asking for it because she was wearing that short skirt or wearing them tight yoga pants". If someone starts trouble then they are in the wrong and deserve to be reprimanded for it.
That's simplicity itself.

Living frugally is justified by building personal wealth, like accumulating the down payment on a home. The end fully justifies the means, no matter how distasteful the means are.

In the case of blaming the victim, stupidity is its own reward. It's why we have Darwin Awards, and why drunks get rolled for flashing their cash in the wrong place.

People mindlessly knee jerk when they hear phrases like "end justifies the means" and "blaming the victim" when many times the ends do justify the means and quite often the victim is at fault.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:14 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,388,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
That's simplicity itself.

Living frugally is justified by building personal wealth, like accumulating the down payment on a home. The end fully justifies the means, no matter how distasteful the means are.

In the case of blaming the victim, stupidity is its own reward. It's why we have Darwin Awards, and why drunks get rolled for flashing their cash in the wrong place.

People mindlessly knee jerk when they hear phrases like "end justifies the means" and "blaming the victim" when many times the ends do justify the means and quite often the victim is at fault.
So why are women still harassed even if they are wearing conservative clothing? I believe it's because it's not about the clothes, but the idea that it's okay to harass women. It's about showing social dominance and not about showing true attraction. (And a simple greeting or a look is not harassment.)

Some studies indicate that Men who defend harassment of women are more likely to harass women themselves.
Men Who Blame Victim for Sexual Harassment Are Often Harassers | Sexual Harassment and the Workplace | Sex and Gender

I am not saying that anyone oon CD is a harasser, but it does give one pause to think.
Ideas are very powerful and they can shape your behavior.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:06 AM

1,881 posts, read 3,352,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
I know someone is going to jump down my throat about this, but I don't get it. I'm all about people having the choice to wear whatever they want, but I don't understand the logic behind the anger when women are "verbally harassed".

Don't get me wrong; I don't condone men saying making totally inappropriate sexual comments. But if a woman is wearing form-fitting clothes, shouldn't she expect guys trying to get her attention? Is "hey baby" and "what's up girl" really that bad? I assume the solution to avoiding unwanted attention is to wear more conservative clothing, am I wrong?
As a woman who has been heckled many times, I can tell you I could wear a flour sack and it would make no difference.

Let us let the responsibility for a person's actions rest with the person DOING the action. It is not a woman's fault for being heckled or catcalled. And has that EVER worked, in the history of man, for anybody? Has any construction worker gotten a date by hollering, "hey baby, I got some pipe to lay!" I mean, seriously.

I know lots of my female friends who have been raped and not one of them were dressed provocatively. And, I would counter, does dressing provocatively give one a license to rape? Its as if women are expected to take responsibility for not only their own actions, but men's as well. Which is ipso de facto ridiculous.

Hardline Muslims want the same thing, btw.

I also want to add that occasionally I have been approached by a man and he was being flirtatious, but not harassing. As in, "you look very lovely today" or something like that. IF you really want to get a woman's attention, here is a clue- grabbing your crotch DOES NOT WORK. Unless you are looking to appear as an idiot. IN which case, job well done.

Old 04-09-2015, 02:01 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,821,156 times
Women shouldn't dress more conservatively. Men who think they should (as well as men who harass women) should move to an Islamic country. Living in a country that highly values female modesty would be a better fit for them.

Old 04-09-2015, 08:12 AM

914 posts, read 765,811 times
No! Women, anyone for that matter, should be able to dress any way they dog-on well please. That is the point of living in a free democratic society, personal freedom. No they shouldn't be harassed, but they could very well be and the one being harassed has the right to respond accordingly. Isn't freedom great?

Old 04-09-2015, 03:40 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Before this debate can even begin, the words "dress conservatively" must be defined and therein lies the problem. What is considered conservative by one might be considered as provocative by another.

Therefore, it is impossible to say women should dress more conservatively unless everyone can agree on what is conservative.

Old 04-11-2015, 03:57 AM

143 posts, read 177,770 times
Default You must be referring to yoga pants aka leggings

Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
I know someone is going to jump down my throat about this, but I don't get it. I'm all about people having the choice to wear whatever they want, but I don't understand the logic behind the anger when women are "verbally harassed".

Don't get me wrong; I don't condone men saying making totally inappropriate sexual comments. But if a woman is wearing form-fitting clothes, shouldn't she expect guys trying to get her attention? Is "hey baby" and "what's up girl" really that bad? I assume the solution to avoiding unwanted attention is to wear more conservative clothing, am I wrong?
I think the yoga pants trend is not doing women any good if they seek to be de-objectified. They are essentially walking around half-nude and don't seem to realize its genetic signal to men. The overt display of rears in public has never been this blatant in my memory. Other primates show off that region mainly when the female is in heat.

It occurs to me that many women are naive about their true erotic appeal. I'd be embarrassed to walk around with the male equivalent of spandex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates