Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 04:26 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,113,827 times

Advertisements

If all men were gentlemen, would women dressed just about anyway still get vulgar remarks? I'm thinking not. This situation is all too similar to why some feel women are raped, because they asked for it. Most men are not animals and know how to act appropriately despite how a woman dresses or presents herself. There will always be men that are immature that are either making indecent remarks or making fun of a way a woman looks.

Women used to dress conservatively and the immature men still found a way to degrade them with inappropriate remarks. This is not a new thing. All women could dress like nuns and those immature and vulgar men would be talking out loud about what was under there and how they might get it.

If everyone had manners and appreciated everyone's right to be treated decently, that would solve the problem at hand.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 04-02-2015 at 07:30 PM.. Reason: Removed icon

Old 04-02-2015, 06:05 PM

23,535 posts, read 24,022,219 times
It's up to them how they want to dress. The men have the problem if they cannot keep their comments polite.

I actually like less conservative, more for my eyes to see!

Old 04-03-2015, 07:59 AM

4,716 posts, read 5,959,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
If all men were gentlemen, would women dressed just about anyway still get vulgar remarks? I'm thinking not. This situation is all too similar to why some feel women are raped, because they asked for it. Most men are not animals and know how to act appropriately despite how a woman dresses or presents herself. There will always be men that are immature that are either making indecent remarks or making fun of a way a woman looks.

Women used to dress conservatively and the immature men still found a way to degrade them with inappropriate remarks. This is not a new thing. All women could dress like nuns and those immature and vulgar men would be talking out loud about what was under there and how they might get it.

If everyone had manners and appreciated everyone's right to be treated decently, that would solve the problem at hand.
they had one of those "woman on the streets" videos with an attractive model walking through the streets of Auckland, New Zealand. Only twice during the entire day did anybody approach her or make a comment to her - one was a person asking directions, and then another was a guy not from New Zealand who later apologized for bothering her. I guess they raise people differently there?

Old 04-03-2015, 08:00 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,099,388 times
<--Man with an opinion

Women should wear whichever clothes they pick out.

I might think an outfit looks nice, appealing, or even stupid, but it definitely isn't my place to tell her what to wear.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:24 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
I'm a firm believer in being responsible for your own actions. Women who drink uninhibitedly and with no friends to watch out for them... same thing as me purposely driving a nice car through a dangerous neighborhood. Use your head.

In general, women like comments like "I like your dress" especially coming from other women. But you can't have it both ways - you can't expect men not to gawk, especially because there are all kinds of people in this world. You know this.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:41 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times
If anything, perhaps the solution is for more people to show more skin. The more the human body is scandalized, the more of a reaction it'll cause -- if someone sees something that is usually hidden out of sight, they're going to pounce on it.

That's what happens in many Muslim countries -- men get rabid over the sight of a woman's ankle, because even that is a 'forbidden fruit'.

If everyone showed more of their body, it would soon cease to be a big deal, because it becomes just a pedestrian reality, not a rare morsel to instantly slobber over.

Old 04-03-2015, 11:48 AM

2,440 posts, read 3,431,123 times
You mean the more nudity we are exposed to, the less we will think of sex?
That probably worked back in Eden before clothing was invented. But I am doubtful now, centuries later, after humanity has been conditioned to associate certain types of clothing with sex appeal.

Old 04-03-2015, 12:01 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
You mean the more nudity we are exposed to, the less we will think of sex?
That probably worked back in Eden before clothing was invented. But I am doubtful now, centuries later, after humanity has been conditioned to associate certain types of clothing with sex appeal.
It can start with the media. Everyone in Hollywood could become nudists...everyone. Young, old, male, female, hot, not.

Then bring that into movies and TV shows and advertising. And keep at it so it's not just an amusing fad, but a real shift.

Then there could be businesses that cater to nudists. More and more of them.

Then, public events.

Then, people can just slowly trickle into nudity as they go about their daily business. On that note, nudity friendly workplaces:

OMG: This Workplace Declared "Naked Fridays" to Help Boost Morale : Glamour.com

This would of course take decades....and I doubt it'd ever happen, at least in my lifetime (and I'm in my early-mid 20s).

But if it did, I think that if we shifted once, we can do it again.

Old 04-03-2015, 12:22 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Sometimes I see an attractive man walking down the street. Men who I find attractive tend to be modestly clothed. Even as a married woman, I can recognize and appreciate an attractive man when I see one.

Still, I resist the temptation to whistle, hoot, cat call or yell "hey baby".

Men can grow up and do the same.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:19 PM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,176,413 times
The bottom line is you can only control your actions and not the actions of others. If you don't want people hitting on you or making remarks about your body then the best way to avoid it is to dress conservatively. This will decrease (not eliminate) the chances of unwanted attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.