Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 11:36 AM

102,208 posts, read 107,859,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJA View Post
And how do you propose doing this? by making it illegal?
One way to do it is, instead of having films glorifying teen and college boys' outrageous behavior toward women, there could be moments in films when someone is inappropriate toward a woman, but he gets laughed at, or pulled aside and lectured by a more mature man. People don't realize the extent to which media influences and reinforces bad behavior.

Old 04-07-2015, 11:38 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,202,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
One way to do it is, instead of having films glorifying teen and college boys' outrageous behavior toward women, there could be moments in films when someone is inappropriate toward a woman, but he gets laughed at, or pulled aside and lectured by a more mature man. People don't realize the extent to which media influences and reinforces bad behavior.
Yes, this is what I've tried to explain several times. We model the acceptable behavior. We teach our children appropriately. We correct people when they do it wrong. What we should NOT accept is the idea that it's ok to blame the victim and tell women that they are the ones who have to change, instead of the men who are the problem.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:01 PM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,175,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I've seen several movies or tv shows that have scenes where men are told to respect women. If you think that's going to change people's behavior, then you will be waiting a long time. Men have been hitting on women BEFORE tv/ radio was invented. In fact in prostitutes used to dress provocatively to attract the attention from men. This isn't a media problem.

And men aren't the only ones who react "negatively" to how women. I can't count on my hands the number of times I've heard other women call women stank, skank, hoe or nasty because of how they were dressed.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:07 PM
PJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Yes, this is what I've tried to explain several times. We model the acceptable behavior. We teach our children appropriately. We correct people when they do it wrong. What we should NOT accept is the idea that it's ok to blame the victim and tell women that they are the ones who have to change, instead of the men who are the problem.
You're stuck on someone "blaming" the victim. No one is blaming anyone. However if I forget to lock my door and someone walks into my house and steals then of course I'm going to look at what I' could have done to prevent it and that's lock my door. Now could my house still have been broken into? Yes but chances are if I keep my doors locked, the likelihood of me being robbed will decrease.

I guess I could take the attitude and say, why should I have to lock my doors? Technically I shouldn't have to...People should teach their kids not to steal. but if I don't want random people walking in and stealing then I will.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:49 PM

2,441 posts, read 2,607,659 times
Women in Afghanistan get harrassed when they let their feet show. I thinkthat's an indication the problem is with the sleazes who cannot act with common decency and not the objects of their sexual agression.

"When Suits Become a Stumbling Block: A Plea to My Brothers in Christ*" by L.P. - The Salt Collective

Old 04-07-2015, 12:51 PM

208 posts, read 257,798 times
Agree. I also would like to ask, again, to the women who are so staunchly defending their right to dress provocatively, please tell us exactly why you are reluctant to dress the other way--classy, elegant, yes modest, dignified. What would be so unpleasant about that? For example, the say Kate Middleton dresses? She is classy and elegant, looks beautiful, obviously any man would want her, and she's not showing any T&A at all. I just don't get the whole idea that a woman needs to show off her T&A to feel good about herself. Is your self worth so low or you are so misguided by Hollywood standards that you are willing to sacrifice your beautiful soul and turn yourself into a piece of meat for some male "dogs" to drool over? Can't we women bond together and stop this objectification? I see that all women are beautiful in their own way and we need to push back on the male species and stop putting ourselves out there like pieces of meat for them to ogle.

Old 04-07-2015, 12:55 PM

208 posts, read 257,798 times
And stop talking about women in Afghanistan and other countries who are covered up by veils and still get harassed. That isn't an excuse to go naked and then expect all of the drool hounds to stop looking and stop drooling and get in line. Heel, dog!

C'mon, don't be so naive, ladies! Your expectations are way too huge. This is an evil, horrible society and there are all sorts of scumbags out there and you need to protect yourself. women need to get more respect and dignity. Stop being so naive about how you dress thinking you have a right to go around naked and no one is going to say or do anything.

Old 04-07-2015, 03:08 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
Women can wear whatever they want. Just don't forget in the public you are opened to all types of people with their view and perception of you. That you cannot change, there will always be people that take things the wrong way by the way you dress including from people of the same sex.

It's this reason why there are dress codes in the office or formal functions.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:05 PM
PJA

There's a reason why Prostitutes dress one way and Nuns another. And while Im sure there are nuns who are hit on, you would have to be out of touch with reality if you think that prostitutes are not hit on more than nuns. But again women are free to dress how they want....you can't control others reactions however.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:35 PM

210 posts, read 382,263 times
I see 2 separate issues. Guys who act inappropriately and women who dress inappropriately.

I am over 50 and am appalled at what fellow women will wear outside the house. A lady can cover up her bits and pieces and still be very sexy but classy looking. Sad that so many ladies, young and old, don't get that. Somehow showing everything makes them feel better?

I don't get it either.

And guys, well, chivalry is all but dead...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates