Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 11:13 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,609,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJDAY81445 View Post
I ask this because whenever I post about the tactics of some gays... entering a Catholic church as a group and disrupting Sunday mass.....nearly every poster will side with that aggressive action and say they were justified to do that.
No. They don't seem to believe in anything! From common sense to religion & beyond! They think "their rights" are the only rights!

Old 04-09-2015, 11:14 AM

950 posts, read 924,174 times
Not a troll thread. I just joined City-Data lately !

Old 04-09-2015, 11:15 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,670,073 times
Exclamation People have a civil right to be racist homophobic bigots in their personal life

Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
Yes I believe you have the right to go to any church you want. You do not have the right to discriminate against people because you were taught to hate certain people by your church. If you have a business open to the public and someone wants a cake it should not matter if they are gay or straight you should have to make it. Now if someone wants a hateful message written on it you do not have to make it. But if you make wedding cakes for straight people you should make if for gays also.
Actually, Americans have rights of freedom of association, freedom of thought, freedom of speech. These rights includes the right to hate gays, and to preach that collectively all homosexuals are sinners and will spend eternity in hell. Not to say that these beliefs are correct, but they are legal.

You, personally, have the right to discriminate against someone in your personal life for any reason, or no reason at all. You can even start a private social club or church, and restrict the membership on these grounds. If you want to rent out one unit in your house, you can refuse to rent that bedroom to a lesbian. All legal.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:37 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Actually, Americans have rights of freedom of association, freedom of thought, freedom of speech. These rights includes the right to hate gays, and to preach that collectively all homosexuals are sinners and will spend eternity in hell. Not to say that these beliefs are correct, but they are legal.

You, personally, have the right to discriminate against someone in your personal life for any reason, or no reason at all. You can even start a private social club or church, and restrict the membership on these grounds. If you want to rent out one unit in your house, you can refuse to rent that bedroom to a lesbian. All legal.
You have the right to be racist too.

Anyway for people who hate gays and claim to be Christian, Jesus loves gay people.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:42 AM

27,197 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
.........."you do not have the right to discriminate against people because you were taught to hate certain people by your church ".....

My church preaches...........love the sinner, hate the sin

Gays want to force churches to accept/love the sin, also
No, we want churches to not force their beliefs upon everyone else and quit attempting to influence laws in this country which is clearly stated in the US Constitution as separate from religion. Don't like it? Move to another country.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:45 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,754,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
No, we want churches to not force their beliefs upon everyone else and quit attempting to influence laws in this country which is clearly stated in the US Constitution as separate from religion. Don't like it? Move to another country.
Separation of church and state is very important. Many people want a religious country. That's a bad idea, they have that in the middle east and some countries follow religious laws and want to impose their beliefs on everyone.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:50 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
This is wrong.

I most certainly cannot legally discriminate based on sexual orientation in renting out a room. I live in Minnesota, and the fact that no federal law prohibits such discrimination is irrelevant because state law in my state - and in 20 other states with a total population of over 130 million - prohibits housing discrimination based on sexual orientation.
Human Rights Campaign | Human Rights Campaign

Not that I would do such a shameful thing even were it legal.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:02 PM

698 posts, read 587,595 times
Quote:
.........."you do not have the right to discriminate against people because you were taught to hate certain people by your church ".....

My church preaches...........love the sinner, hate the sin

Gays want to force churches to accept/love the sin, also
Love the sinner, hate the sin is such a BS copout. It is used by bigots afraid to admit to themselves and others that they have a deep seated hatred for gay people. If they could only keep their hatred to themselves, nobody would care. However, certain Christians won't stop until the entire United States is forced to adhere to their specific religious dogma. Just like the Taliban and Isis.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:29 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,670,073 times
Post If you want to rent out one unit in your house, you can refuse to rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Quote:
If you want to rent out one unit in your house, you can refuse to rent that bedroom to a lesbian. All legal.
This is wrong. I most certainly cannot legally discriminate based on sexual orientation in renting out a room. I live in Minnesota, and the fact that no federal law prohibits such discrimination is irrelevant because state law in my state - and in 20 other states with a total population of over 130 million - prohibits housing discrimination based on sexual orientation. Human Rights Campaign | Human Rights Campaign Not that I would do such a shameful thing even were it legal.
This is wrong. You most certainly can. Minnesota law (Like Federal FHA and most states) includes an exemption for resident owners, regarding gender and sexual orientation: 363A.21

Old 04-09-2015, 12:53 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,037,875 times
Nobody has the right to go into a private church and make a pig of himself by proselytizing or otherwise doing anything but listening to the preacher for personal edification. That is the only reason to be there. With others who want to do the same. Wearing political clothing and attending en masse to disturb people on private property to make a political statement is ethically and morally wrong. Nobody will ever confuse me with a mystic, but private property is private property and common courtesy and rational thinking should prevail.

Stay out of church unless you have a correct worshipful reason to be there with like-minded patrons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates