Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2015, 03:58 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,921,731 times

Advertisements

A very good friend of mine had a memory that was to be envied ,his dads memory was outstanding and so no one expected his son to perform anything less.
Problem was his son was smoking dope and began loosing that wonderful memory ,problem was he didn't stop till the memory loss was noticeable to him self.
This was in his late thirties early fourties .
Now his memory is no better then the average person maybe even a little less , I hate to think the deterioration would continue .
Most drugs are a dulling effect on the brain .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 04:31 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,924,573 times
From above quote "and although pot does increase the risk of fatal accidents..........researchers suggested the increased risk is nowhere near the level of Narcotics, stimulants, and especially alcohol".

Apparently it is okay to have fatal accidents........am I missing something here?

Old 08-22-2015, 08:02 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,875,295 times
MJ is a potent carcinogen , remodels neuro transmitters, somewhat addicting, causes erectile distinction,negatively impacts role modelling, character, odor and can be a over the top expense especially if one is a cigarette smoker.

Old 08-22-2015, 08:45 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,222,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
MJ is a potent carcinogen , remodels neuro transmitters, somewhat addicting, causes erectile distinction,negatively impacts role modelling, character, odor and can be a over the top expense especially if one is a cigarette smoker.
LOL, really?

Potent carcinogen? You don't have to smoke cannabis to ingest it.

Remodels the brain? Actually, there are studies done that show whole plant medicine can be beneficial to brain healing.

Addicting? There is a difference between bad habits and addiction.

If one is a cigarette smoker, than cannabis should be the least of their worries.

As for the rest, that is all opinion not based in any facts, what so ever.

In other anti propaganda news:

U.S. just admitted that cannabis DOES kill cancer cells

Read more: America admitted cannabis DOES kill cancer cells | Metro News
America admitted cannabis DOES kill cancer cells | Metro News

Cannabis and Cannabinoids - National Cancer Institute

Why let science get in the way of good old school reefer madness?

Old 08-24-2015, 02:17 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,176,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaian View Post
The 50 years is actually 78 years, and the reason it is illegal has absolutely nothing to do with smoking it or any dangers it may or may not pose.

In fact, the last 50 years has seen millions using it every day, yet there are still no cannabis related cases showing up in hospitals with any type of cancer, brain damage, or any other ill that has attempted to be pinned to it.
The MJ today is much stronger than MJ from 40 some years ago. I don't see anything positive for your body to inhale burned weeds.

Americans are a funny lot. We have such a great country. opportunity, etc...but we lead the charge taking drugs.

Old 08-24-2015, 03:07 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,924,573 times
Anyone ever hear what a Smokers lungs look like compared to a Non Smoker?

A Non Smoker will have PINK lungs while a heavy smoker will have lungs that look like they were sprinkled with pepper.

Ask any Mortician or MD.

Coming out of the service a Army buddy was studying to be a Mortician and invited me to visit him while working in the evening at the Mortuary. He showed me the back room where they prepped the body and what was done to them. This is where I learned about the pepper.

My late wife died from throat Cancer in 1973 (altogether she had 8 Tumors) so I am a witness to what smoking will do.

I quit smoking a few yrs earlier then her passing and I just turned 84 this month...how many can say the same thing.

Old 08-24-2015, 03:36 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,222,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Anyone ever hear what a Smokers lungs look like compared to a Non Smoker?

A Non Smoker will have PINK lungs while a heavy smoker will have lungs that look like they were sprinkled with pepper.

Ask any Mortician or MD.

Coming out of the service a Army buddy was studying to be a Mortician and invited me to visit him while working in the evening at the Mortuary. He showed me the back room where they prepped the body and what was done to them. This is where I learned about the pepper.

My late wife died from throat Cancer in 1973 (altogether she had 8 Tumors) so I am a witness to what smoking will do.

I quit smoking a few yrs earlier then her passing and I just turned 84 this month...how many can say the same thing.
Tobacco will certainly get you. That is pretty well known and well documented.

Old 08-25-2015, 03:55 PM

1,100 posts, read 796,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tht1guy View Post
I hear all the time that its not bad for you and you cant get any diseases or anything. But i want to hear any negative input on the subject. Or positive
Problem is; it can serve as a gateway drug for harder drugs. All the drug dealer has to do is attend parties and wait for you to get stoned to get you to "try" crack cocaine.

My brother convinced me that he would never try crack because he has seen what it does to people while defending the use of marijuana. Then he was on crack.

Finally, one day he admitted why he tried crack when he argued that he would never do it. He was stoned.

I see Miley Cyrus out there in the medai defending smoking marijuana and yet bad mouthing crack. I really hope she doesn't get victimized as my brother was, but she was making those comments being at parties that were dong both marijuana and crack for her to be bad-mouthing it.

God wants us to be sober all the time. People can drink as long as they do not get drunk. Some people can't do that. They are alcoholics and so they should never drink.

We do not live in a perfect world. People are evil and will take advantage of people. It is best to be sober all the time than mess with your mind in getting stoned or drunk where you are hardly sober to be victimized.

And people get victimized while sober as it is. It's bad enough when stoned or drunk people have something bad happen to them that may cost other people's lives and not just their own, but other people can do something bad to them or to their loved ones around them while they are stoned or drunk. How can they defend themselves?

I would think those victimized would wish they had never been stoned or drunk, but not always. It seems most of them keep on putting themselves in such a vulnerable state as if they do not care.

Seems allot of depressed people are not being treated when they are hiding out in the drug world. One may never know if a friend is truly just using it for entertainment once in a while, or regularly as an escape.

In any event, I just see marijuana as a gateway drug wherein being stoned is hardly being sober at all.

People should try Jesus instead.

Old 08-25-2015, 04:23 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,050,001 times
What about it being harmful to others? Am not referring to second-hand smoke, What about driving under the influence of marijuana? Would you want to be a passenger in a car when the driver is stoned? Would you want drivers around you on the roads who are stoned?

This article spells it out:
Does marijuana use affect driving? | National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)

Old 08-25-2015, 10:54 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,351,753 times
IF it is "dangerous", and it is from this that its illegality arises, then I can name dozens of things that are perfectly legal and way more dangerous.

I have always said that it really comes to the fact that it is a European cultural tradition to drink, and that is why it is legal to drink, although the evidence showing its dangers is vast and not open to question. Marijuana used to be associated with "undesirables"- i.e. Mexicans, jazz musicians, et cetera. Its basically a cultural prejudice in my opinion, at least in the West in the 20th century.

If people want to get on some sort of bandwagon about its dangers, you might want to examine a recent study that showed that MJ is 110 percent safer than alcohol. Google it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates