Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2015, 11:51 AM

4 posts, read 2,902 times

Advertisements

...good points from all, history has a strange way of repeating itself….I hope most are speaking from experience and not from feelings.…

...in my experience, in the late 70’s early 80’s MaryJane was naturally grown, imported, etc, etc., it was not contaminated with other chemicals, today that is the case.

no different than alcohol in the 1800s, it had to be federally regulated for safety of the consumer, why, because manufacturers were over saturating it with other chemicals; to have a different effect on people…why do you think real moonshine is still illegal today?

so today, in my opinion, if MaryJane was federally regulated, just like the Alcohol industry, many of the things people are saying would not be the case.

..treat MaryJane like any other over the counter mind altering substance; not while operating equipment, while pregnant, while at work, or in the public…..seems simple to me….
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 01:39 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Well.... I find the combination of weed an alcohol to have the effect. Weed alone? Eh, not so much. Perfect example. My buddy and I had work to do around his property up in New York. I had never done a "wake and bake." A) I work during the week, and therefore I save it for after work, and B) I don't do it on the weekends because I usually run out in the morning to run errands, and mostly I'm driving. Well, considering I was on a little "vacation" I did indeed do a "wake and bake." Hey, why the hell not? I'm on vacation! Just one or two hits, was all. We went down into town for breakfast, and then came back up to mow his lot which was a lot of weeds, and tall grass, and had to do it with a push mower. I pretty much did most of it. In fact this was after I hit the bowl one more time after breakfast. After that we put together his target stand for when we were going to shoot. Next we took a walk down to the state lands, which was quite a hike. After that we set up the targets and did some shooting. Now, his philosophy was no guns out while we were drinking. So in other words if a beer is cracked then the guns get put away. However; he had no issue with me hitting the bowl a few hours earlier because he knows I'm not a moron, and saw I wasn't getting stupid off of the stuff other than a nice hum. Finally, once the guns were put away, it was beer time. Hit the bowl again, started drinking, and that is when I start feeling lethargic.

Cannabis can be quite thereaputic, and in fact I think it can enhance some activities. Opiate. Hell no! I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole.
I feel the opposite way. MJ seems like an interesting recreational experience but I don't really see myself as repaired after using them. Opiates (5mg of hydrocodone aka 1 vicodin pill) on the other hand do feel therapeutic to me. I enjoy nature much more on hydrocodone than I do on weed. On weed I just tunnel in and get lost in a weird train of thoughts whereas hydro I just sit back and enjoy the sunset, read a happy news article, exercise, go to bed 2 hrs early and wake up clearheaded and refreshed. On weed I go to bed 4 hrs early, wake up still tired and in a definite haze.

That being said, using opiates regularly as a crutch or as an recreational activity regularly is a good way to end up in the hellhole that is opiate addiction. Everyone I knew that got addicted to them though had some severe issue like like severe depression, emotional trainwrecks, or chronic pain (usually a combination of those). But used correctly, at a small dose and no greater than once a week (preferably every two weeks), with the intent of them being a tool not a toy, I find them to be the most therapeutic drug I have done. I don't see any desire to do anything besides hydrocodone though, because higher effects don't appeal and just increase tolerance and withdrawal issues. IVing heroin is just stupid and a person would be stupid to try it even once.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
I don´t get people saying it makes them Lethargic, ok I can smoke a bit and just sit on the beach and chill but it can get me motivated too. Rock climbing, surfing, windsurfing, mountain biking, running, racing sailboats, riding dirt bikes... A good "Safety Briefing" gets me stoked. Even cleaning up my flat goes better.
I don't know, maybe it's edibles, but the only ingredients are THC and cannabidiol. But I feel so lethargic its not even funny. I move so slow and would fall asleep if I didn't make an active effort to be active while on it. I guess each person is different though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I suppose it depends on the strain, and how one's body chemistry is. As I said, I find that by itself, and just a puff or two from time to time gives me a nice hum, but also enhances activities. Now, mixed with a few drinks is when I tend to start getting more lethargic, but alcohol will do that to you.
Alcohol just makes me not be able to fall asleep and blurry. I don't care for being drunk at all. Every time I've been drunk it feels like conversation is annoying because it's way too much and it's so hard to make any sense or pay attention at all. The only value of alcohol is one swish does taste good sometimes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
My thoughts on it are not like that, they are just as lucid and helpful after the fact as during. One example, I was having an ongoing "fight" with my best friend of 40 years, it was about 3 weeks we were mad at each other, both sure we were right. Then one day I light up, and as soon as I start thinking about it, suddenly I see it differently, an angle I hadn't seen before...and I knew instantly my position had been wrong. Once I saw it from the new angle, I couldn't believe I hadn't seen it before. I called her immediately and apologized.

I truly believe that mj opens an area of the brain we normally don't have access to. People mistakenly think it makes you "messed up" or confused, but it is actually the opposite, it truly lets me see the truth with clarity.

I am not going to do low dose or any dose of speed, it is bad for you, I am 53 and it causes cardiac issues over long term use. Pot however has no such side effects. Why would I change from a natural substance to a man-made one that has tons of side effects??

For the person who said he didn't get how people function, I do not get lethargic from pot. It launches me into action...I clean the house, walk 2 miles to the store (I do not drive high), exercise (yoga is especially nice), dance around with my iPod, etc.
With that said and with your age in consideration, I think you are probably making the right choice.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:51 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,238,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
While the studies so far have shown that cannabinoids can be safe in treating cancer,

Can you explain to me how it is safe in treating cancer, when the following statement says otherwise.

they do not show that they help control or cure the disease. If it doesn't do anything to help control cancer then how can it be effective in treating cancer.

I will concede the point that it helps in pain management.
Yet....because *surprise* there has been no research in the Western world.

In Israel they are miles ahead in mj research and - get this - pipe it directly into chemo wards just like laughing gas.

We have been denied this WONDERFUL drug by a bunch of old fat white guys who couldn't figure out how to tax it.

Oh and, check out the children with seizures Miracle MJ Cure...its quite stunning. This drug stops seizures when NOTHING ELSE DID.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:52 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,238,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixPak View Post
...good points from all, history has a strange way of repeating itself….I hope most are speaking from experience and not from feelings.…

...in my experience, in the late 70’s early 80’s MaryJane was naturally grown, imported, etc, etc., it was not contaminated with other chemicals, today that is the case.

no different than alcohol in the 1800s, it had to be federally regulated for safety of the consumer, why, because manufacturers were over saturating it with other chemicals; to have a different effect on people…why do you think real moonshine is still illegal today?

so today, in my opinion, if MaryJane was federally regulated, just like the Alcohol industry, many of the things people are saying would not be the case.

..treat MaryJane like any other over the counter mind altering substance; not while operating equipment, while pregnant, while at work, or in the public…..seems simple to me….
I'll give you one further fact;

MJ was smoked by Jesus and his disciples.

They didn't HAVE wine, despite what the bible says, so they smoked at ceremonies instead.

A church that offers joints around as Holy Sacrament? I'm in!!!!

Old 09-01-2015, 01:59 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Yet....because *surprise* there has been no research in the Western world.

In Israel they are miles ahead in mj research and - get this - pipe it directly into chemo wards just like laughing gas.

We have been denied this WONDERFUL drug by a bunch of old fat white guys who couldn't figure out how to tax it.

Oh and, check out the children with seizures Miracle MJ Cure...its quite stunning. This drug stops seizures when NOTHING ELSE DID.

Don't worry. Prohibition of cannabis in this country (I believe) is on its death bed. Too many people see through the BS surrounding its prohibition.

Old 09-01-2015, 08:31 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,921,886 times
I have a bottle of RX Hydrocodone in my medicine cabinet that was for my after Spine Surgery pain...did not help

Even had Morphine given me in the Hospital that did not help me.....my system must be out of wack.....no problem as I turned 84 last month.

Other medicines are also a hit and miss at times...oh well, such is life.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
I have a bottle of RX Hydrocodone in my medicine cabinet that was for my after Spine Surgery pain...did not help

Even had Morphine given me in the Hospital that did not help me.....my system must be out of wack.....no problem as I turned 84 last month.

Other medicines are also a hit and miss at times...oh well, such is life.
I've never had opiates or MJ help pain that I can remember. But my only trial was a sore throat. I would be scared to use opiates for pain relief though seeing as I know the mental effects of doses below the recommended pain doses call for.

I was wondering, it looks like both opiates and MJ activate the opioid receptor in the brain. Where the two diverge I think is that opiates are exclusive to that receptor and can be taken at exponentially more powerful amounts thus tolerance levels and addictions and withdrawals can ramp up much much more than would be present in marijuana addictions.

But the two drug types may be different paths to the same effect... I'm not sure though. That's why I'm leery to give weed the green flag (lol) of approval when it might be playing with the same receptors in similar ways that opiates do. Obviously there would be consequences (and benefits) if it does.

Old 09-01-2015, 09:55 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,219,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I've never had opiates or MJ help pain that I can remember. But my only trial was a sore throat. I would be scared to use opiates for pain relief though seeing as I know the mental effects of doses below the recommended pain doses call for.

I was wondering, it looks like both opiates and MJ activate the opioid receptor in the brain. Where the two diverge I think is that opiates are exclusive to that receptor and can be taken at exponentially more powerful amounts thus tolerance levels and addictions and withdrawals can ramp up much much more than would be present in marijuana addictions.

But the two drug types may be different paths to the same effect... I'm not sure though. That's why I'm leery to give weed the green flag (lol) of approval when it might be playing with the same receptors in similar ways that opiates do. Obviously there would be consequences (and benefits) if it does.
So, with little self admitted understanding of how systems work within the human body, with self admitted limited experience with opiate based medicine, you would prefer to default to opioid based medicine that is among the highest addictive and lethal drugs in "modern medicine", whereas there has been no deaths related directly to cannabis?

If, by admission, you think they lead to the same result, why would you opt for one that is potentially lethal?

Old 09-02-2015, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
So, with little self admitted understanding of how systems work within the human body, with self admitted limited experience with opiate based medicine, you would prefer to default to opioid based medicine that is among the highest addictive and lethal drugs in "modern medicine", whereas there has been no deaths related directly to cannabis?

If, by admission, you think they lead to the same result, why would you opt for one that is potentially lethal?
Because 5mg of hydro never killed anyone.

Really I think a majority of the problem with opiate abuse comes from people who are looking for a drug to abuse and opiates are the most available and easiest. Also chronic pain is a serious issue and for many, they see opiates as the way out. They are the easiest of most any drug to abuse I believe because they have no hangover (a slight afterglow IMO), you are almost entirely functional, easy administration, and the short term effects are almost all positive.

But the reason they are easy to abuse is the same reasons why I prefer them over marijuana and definitely over alcohol: hydro provides the best way to unwind and relax and wake up clean and refreshed for those few times where you feel like crap after coming home from work and feel like going to bed at 5pm but you know you can't do that and your mind is on overdrive and won't quit. If you can't handle sober life (or have something like chronic pain) and/or have an addiction predisposition, marijuana is definitely the better choice, but for me, regular daily use of either is not an option and would be stupid.

I want to state again though that this isn't a regular occurrence. I have never even felt the need (and definitely wouldn't allow my self to) take them more than once a week, oftentimes like every 2-3 weeks. It's not a recreational high, just a way to refresh back to normal the next day.

Each person is different and the experience is a subjective one in the greatest extent, so each person must critically think and sit down and figure out what is working for them and what makes them have a more enjoyable sober life, because ultimately life is best lived with most of your hours in a healthy sober state. There is no high that in the long run (being high day after day) beats being a healthy sober individual.

And the history of opiates stretches much further back than marijuana, especially when considering substances like myrrh.

Last edited by Phil P; 09-02-2015 at 09:50 AM..

Old 09-02-2015, 09:45 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post

I don't know how they work exactly, but for me personally, I have a very addictive personality. When I had my appendix taken out in my early 20's, they gave me a needle full of morphine in the butt every 4 hours....by the 3rd dose, I was staring at the clock waiting to be able to push the button for my next dose. A nurse even told me to try to wait 15 minutes or they might stop giving it to me....and I couldn't do it! When they did stop it, at one point I faked being in pain so I could get one more shot. That is how fast I started to become addicted to it.

I don't take pain meds in general because of that...in an emergency (my back gets bad sometimes) the most I will take is Ultram, which is not a narcotic, because I know the risks for me. I would say no if a doc wanted to give me Oxy. I've also been trying to quit smoking cigs and chewing Nicorette off and on for the last 40 years, and I can't quite make that stick either.

On the other hand, I am able to stop mj for a period of months at a time when I am applying for jobs. I'm not gonna lie and say I don't miss it during those periods, but rather than a physical withdrawal it's more like "Boy, this movie would be so much better if I could smoke" wistfulness.

I have 2 relatives who had to go through rehab after becoming addicted to Oxy after surgery.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates