Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2015, 06:39 PM

5,355 posts, read 5,134,067 times

Advertisements

Ok, I don't know about long term effects (and the science on the issue is shaky for both positive and negative effects).

Short term effects I know: time slows down a LOT. It feels like an eternity when you are high. You get really sleepy and even after sleeping for 12 hrs you still feel sleepy. (Highs are about 24 hrs for edibles) You remember things from a long time ago. You forget what you just did, I remember forgetting that I had already gone pee and was slightly freaking out because I thought MJ had killed the pain and I couldn't feel whether I had to go to the bathroom or not -- you definitely make weird connections (conspiracy theory type of thoughts) while on it. I remember talking on the phone to my mom and forgetting what we just talked about 20 seconds afterwards. I remember just hoping that she didn't ask me what we just talked about. It was REALLY hard to try and learn how to do a new task at work, I kept forgetting what I just did.

The back of your brain near your brainstem and the top of your brain feel like they are getting excess blood and it feels nice, but then afterwards they feel exhausted and you have a headache (probably a good thing to ward off dementia though).You get really into whatever you are doing and lose track of where you were and and how you got to where you were. You walk and move and do everything really slow.

Its not euphoric like opiates or stimulants like caffeine are, but it's not really disphoric. It's cool to experience because its so weird but its not something you want to do a lot because being sober is better 90% of the time.

I wouldn't want to drive high. It's not as bad as alcohol, because you can kind of force yourself to snap back into sober mode if you need to, but in general its not that safe, because you would want to drive slow and your mind wanders.

It's hard to hold an intelligent conversation while high and it's actually not that fun to talk a bunch while on it.

Occasional (once every week or 2 or 3) use probably maximizes the health benefits while minimizing the drawbacks. Regular use probably amplifies the harms. That's my opinion at least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 06:59 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,076,568 times
Depending on the strain, MJ can be perfectly harmless. Prescription medicines and alcohol caused more addictions, deaths and injuries.

Hemp does not cause cancer. Unless it was sprayed with pesticides or genetically molested by Monsanto.

For health reason, you should take the indica strain. Which doesn't make you high at all. It has a calming effect. Makes you sleep.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:06 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,544,435 times
A friend of ours used to be a boxer. He has horrible arthritis in his hands and one ankle. He's had two hip replacements.

Just recently he was approved for legal, medicinal pot. He smokes a tiny bit a few times a day in a little pipe.
He is now pain free for the first time in 20 years. When it gives him results nothing can match other than a narcotic which he never wanted to take because he didn't want to get addicted, HOW can you say that it is BAD?

The only problem I see with pot is that it impairs driving like alcohol, although those that seems to diminish with people who do pot often. They don't get the same buzz as a person who does it now and then. If they come up with a breathalizer for pot, maybe then they'd legalize it. They could charge impared drivers the same as alcohol.

Last edited by Jeo123; 08-28-2015 at 12:47 PM.. Reason: Removed

Old 08-27-2015, 11:52 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,076,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
A friend of ours used to be a boxer. He has horrible arthritis in his hands and one ankle. He's had two hip replacements.

Just recently he was approved for legal, medicinal pot. He smokes a tiny bit a few times a day in a little pipe.
He is now pain free for the first time in 20 years. When it gives him results nothing can match other than a narcotic which he never wanted to take because he didn't want to get addicted, HOW can you say that it is BAD?

The only problem I see with pot is that it impairs driving like alcohol, although those that seems to diminish with people who do pot often. They don't get the same buzz as a person who does it now and then. If they come up with a breathalizer for pot, maybe then they'd legalize it. They could charge impared drivers the same as alcohol.

Depends on the type of pot. 1 type (sativa) gets you high. The other strain (indica) just makes you sleep. No more "dangerous" that cough medicine. Actually, has less chemicals than cough medicines.

Last edited by Jeo123; 08-28-2015 at 12:47 PM.. Reason: Edited Quote for Font

Old 08-28-2015, 12:44 PM

8 posts, read 6,042 times
Just like everything, if you abuse the substance....And yes, those hybrids coming out of the market ain't doing no good.

I love pot teas, don't smoke the stuff.

Should be legal so the state can control the strains and collect some money.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by incognitoe View Post
Depending on the strain, MJ can be perfectly harmless. Prescription medicines and alcohol caused more addictions, deaths and injuries.

Hemp does not cause cancer. Unless it was sprayed with pesticides or genetically molested by Monsanto.

For health reason, you should take the indica strain. Which doesn't make you high at all. It has a calming effect. Makes you sleep.
I'm going to debate the perfectly harmless thing. I know for sure if you were high all the time, you wouldn't have as good of a memory because you wouldn't have been able to encode what just happened as well during the time you were high. Your knowledge gained would be significantly lower from whatever you were doing.

Also, like I said, it gave me quite a headache after being high. Not that bad, it got better after a nights sleep, but I feel like if you did it day in and day out, you would definitely be over or under using certain parts of the brain.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:39 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totsuka View Post
The MJ today is much stronger than MJ from 40 some years ago. I don't see anything positive for your body to inhale burned weeds.

Americans are a funny lot. We have such a great country. opportunity, etc...but we lead the charge taking drugs.
Yes, we do. That's why Bristol Meyers-Squibb trades so high on the stock market. Not me, I stick to the stuff God grew.

I work in health care, 18 years now, and have seen the devastating effects on mind and body of the legal drugs, including booze, prescription meds and cigarettes. Never saw one patient who was sick from using MJ. Ive seen dozens of patients who have lost limbs from that other legal but addicting and toxic drug we all love, sugar.

What we are best at in this country is being hypocritical, JMO.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:41 PM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I'm going to debate the perfectly harmless thing. I know for sure if you were high all the time, you wouldn't have as good of a memory because you wouldn't have been able to encode what just happened as well during the time you were high. Your knowledge gained would be significantly lower from whatever you were doing.

Also, like I said, it gave me quite a headache after being high. Not that bad, it got better after a nights sleep, but I feel like if you did it day in and day out, you would definitely be over or under using certain parts of the brain.
This is actually not true for many of us. It helps me to focus, something I have a lot of trouble with due to ADD (no, I will not and do not take speed or any legal drug for it).

Old 08-28-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
This is actually not true for many of us. It helps me to focus, something I have a lot of trouble with due to ADD (no, I will not and do not take speed or any legal drug for it).
Do you remember what you are focusing on though?

I know that the short term memory loss was one of the most profound effects for me, as well as the loss of what time it is.

Old 08-28-2015, 04:03 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
Heck, nothing wrong with MJ so it is okay for a MD to smoke a joint before performing Surgery on you.....if it does not harm the brain but relaxes a person he should know what he is doing........Right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates