Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 10:32 PM

557 posts, read 810,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmil View Post
Yeah but smoking is smoking. I don't think because we commonly associate lung cancer and other illnesses with smoking cigarettes that there's something uniquely harmful about tobacco that is sidestepped by using marijuana instead. I think it's probably just that one is legal and widely used and the other isn't. Plus, there are plenty of people who smoke 30+ years or better; I don't know that among pot users that people use heavily for the bulk of their lives. Unless of course they're addicts.

Like I said, I think we know more about the effects of smoking cigarettes simply because it's legal. We have several generations of people who smoke cigarettes, so we have plenty of people to examine.
Slightly related comment, the US government has had a patent on CBDs for over two decades, specifically noting medicinal benefits. It's been researched. And we again go back to that uses and usage and not smoking exclusive.

United States Patent: 6630507
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brienzi View Post
The stat's don't lie as marijuana death related car crashes have gone up over 100% since 2014 and that's from thdenverchannel.com

Sometimes they do.

Study finds 100 percent increase in fatal pot-related crashes in Colorado - 7NEWS Denver TheDenverChannel.com

"DENVER - A study out this month finds the number of people killed in marijuana-related accidents in Colorado has increased 100 percent over five years.

The report comes from the Rocky Mountain High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area Program, a drug prohibition group that brings together federal and local law enforcement.

It says that in 2012 there were 78 fatalities where someone involved in the accident (a driver, bike rider, pedestrian) tested positive for marijuana, compared to 39 in 2007."

"The marijuana industry is questioning the report, as the data does not indicate whether pot was a cause for the accidents.

"(Testing positive for marijuana) could mean you smoked marijuana 3 weeks ago. It does not mean you were impaired at the spot," said Michael Elliott, executive director of the Marijuana Industry Group. "And that's what this report is really failing to distinguish."

A much more encouraging sign from the data is that overall traffic deaths in Colorado went down by nearly 15 percent in that same time frame.

"They're taking huge decreases in traffic fatalities in Colorado and turning it into bad news," said Elliott."

Old 06-08-2015, 11:37 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,522,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD401 View Post

Sometimes they do.

Study finds 100 percent increase in fatal pot-related crashes in Colorado - 7NEWS Denver TheDenverChannel.com

"DENVER - A study out this month finds the number of people killed in marijuana-related accidents in Colorado has increased 100 percent over five years.

The report comes from the Rocky Mountain High Intensity Drug Trafficking Area Program, a drug prohibition group that brings together federal and local law enforcement.

It says that in 2012 there were 78 fatalities where someone involved in the accident (a driver, bike rider, pedestrian) tested positive for marijuana, compared to 39 in 2007."

"The marijuana industry is questioning the report, as the data does not indicate whether pot was a cause for the accidents.

"(Testing positive for marijuana) could mean you smoked marijuana 3 weeks ago. It does not mean you were impaired at the spot," said Michael Elliott, executive director of the Marijuana Industry Group. "And that's what this report is really failing to distinguish."

A much more encouraging sign from the data is that overall traffic deaths in Colorado went down by nearly 15 percent in that same time frame.

"They're taking huge decreases in traffic fatalities in Colorado and turning it into bad news," said Elliott."
Meanwhile, in Washington... Crime rate is down 100%.

Seriously though... did you see this study? I can't find the link/video but they had the drivers smoke (way more than the average smoker) and at first it was evident they were over cautious. Marijuana increases paranoia so that makes sense. Then after 1/8th ounce (who smokes that in one sitting!) they were unable to drive the course.

The fact is that while marijuana may impair it is nothing like the impairment of alcohol. Source

I don't smoke pot myself, though I have in the past, because I don't like the feeling but to me (compared to other drugs) it seems pretty "harmless."

Not to mention the fact that you can test positive for it weeks after you actually were intoxicated by it.

Old 06-09-2015, 03:16 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,123,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
Meanwhile, in Washington... Crime rate is down 100%.

Seriously though... did you see this study? I can't find the link/video but they had the drivers smoke (way more than the average smoker) and at first it was evident they were over cautious. Marijuana increases paranoia so that makes sense. Then after 1/8th ounce (who smokes that in one sitting!) they were unable to drive the course.

The fact is that while marijuana may impair it is nothing like the impairment of alcohol. Source

I don't smoke pot myself, though I have in the past, because I don't like the feeling but to me (compared to other drugs) it seems pretty "harmless."

Not to mention the fact that you can test positive for it weeks after you actually were intoxicated by it.
I think when stoned you tend to focus more on the task at hand, typical stoned driver will drive fine, very concentrated but may forget where he is going.

I don´t smoke anymore with the exception of when I am in Holland racing my boat or windsurfing. If it was leagal here I might smoke more and drink less.

When I rock climb I like a bit of weed, not too much but enough to get that focus, I would never drink and climb.

The same racing sailboats, a few puffs and I can better concentrate on the shifts and steering and often do better. If I drink I don´t do better.

Old 06-09-2015, 04:19 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,158,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwkilgore View Post
Would you then say something like, "Bull [Benadryl users] don't kill people on the highway..."?
As soon as I see proof that someone has died as the result of a driver being under the influence of Benadryl, then I'll say that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
And there are cases of children dying because their parents ran them over in the driveway. Having parents is obviously very dangerous!
A sixteen year old young man is dead, and you think this is the appropriate time to make a flippant comment? Real classy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GER308 View Post
I think when stoned you tend to focus more on the task at hand, typical stoned driver will drive fine
The stoned driver who killed my ex-wife's best friend's son wasn't driving fine.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:08 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,039 times
The human responsibility factor is at play here. I know daily smokers who are affluent doctors and engineers, people considered the pinnacle of society. Then I know smokers who are chronically unemployed, lazy, etc.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:52 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
Harmless? Hardly. We had a guy in our dorm who was out smoking every night. He had no motivation, did no school work, and flunked out at the end of the semester.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Harmless? Hardly. We had a guy in our dorm who was out smoking every night. He had no motivation, did no school work, and flunked out at the end of the semester.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:59 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tht1guy View Post
I hear all the time that its not bad for you and you cant get any diseases or anything. But i want to hear any negative input on the subject. Or positive
Potential Toxins from Medical Marijuana Use

Old 06-09-2015, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
I'm not so sure about that website, especially given the obvious conflict.

I will say though that pesticide use is a concern, and has been in the news somewhat lately focusing on a couple of specific growers who have been accused of using such. The industry is being heavily monitored and scrutinized right now though as well. If they are/were, it won't last for long. They'll get shut down quick.

And that's what you have helping the legal sales side of things - dispensaries are making money hand over fist. The last thing they want to do is jeopardize their earnings potential in this new and tremendously growing market. Of course though, you always have an exception to the rule on occasion. I'll give a for instance though. The state conducts random monitoring for underage sales. Not one single dispensary was busted for underage sales last mention I saw.

AGAIN, there a multitude of other ways that it is ingested other than smoking flower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates