Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2015, 11:27 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,526,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
I suppose it is easy to dismiss it that way but after your post I did a quick search on research articles just to see what they said.

"However, cannabis use can also induce panic, sometimes accompanied by paranoid ideation, more likely in someone who is taking the drug for the first time than in experienced user. Rarely, but especially among new users of cannabis, there occurs an acute depressive reaction"
Suicidal Ideation Induced by Episodic Cannabis Use

"A new study found that people who smoke marijuana before age 17 are 3.5 times more likely to attempt suicide as those who started smoking marijuana later in life. In addition, people who are dependent on marijuana have a higher risk of experiencing major depression and suicidal thoughts and behaviors."
Marijuana Dependency Linked to Depression, Suicidal Thoughts...

“Overall, the associations between marijuana abuse and depressive disorders suggest a relationship that is contributory but not necessarily causal. Depressive disorders in and of themselves do not cause people to abuse marijuana, and marijuana abuse and dependence do not of themselves cause depression or suicidal behavior,” Dr. Lynskey said."

It is clearly not a wide-spread common thing but definitely something, especially new users, should be aware of. And since it is so easy to overdose on edibles which the tourists want to use because you can't smoke in alot of hotels or anyplace public it is more important to know about it and be very careful with the edibles dosing.
Not causal... You do know what that means? The person was depressed/suicidal to begin with. Obviously you have never been stoned. First time users may feel paranoid, feel like their heart is racing, crave junk food, have dizziness... But the effects wear off within an hour or two depending on the strain.
Studies Claim Medical Marijuana May Reduce Suicide Rates...
Study shows Marijuana Treatment effective for Stress and Mental Illness...

There are others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 12:12 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,875,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJJG2012 View Post
There are maybe around 100 studies saying it does not cause cancer, or any other fatal conditions. It was a theory that it caused cancer, because of tar..
http://i.stack.imgur.com/QtL28m.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJJG2012 View Post
But at least 8 things in the plant are anti-cancer. Also, cannabis is almost always grown organically. Most tobacco & most food has been treated with things that cause cancer. Also, it does not cause COPD. A man in the Compassionate Use Program the US had in 1970s is still getting 300 joints a month from the govt. Couple years back, his lung function was 103% of normal. I see many on internet saying daily or frequent user 40+ years & no major health problems.

Some people have used cannabis to quit tobacco, and/or to quit or reduce alcohol use. There is a list of studies at medicalmarijuanadoctors.org/ The study titles and URLs are about 800 pages. Many of the studies contain false or misleading statements, as researchers for govt had to do. Best wishes.
I love it-you claim many studies are flawed because the gov made them misrepresent findings-then back up your assertions with medical marijuanadoctors.org. Yeah, I'm sure THEY aren't biased at all.

Marijuana use and risk of lung cancer: a 40-year cohort study. - PubMed - NCBI

Cancer Causes Control. 2013 Oct;24(10):1811-20. doi: 10.1007/s10552-013-0259-0. Epub 2013 Jul 12.
Marijuana use and risk of lung cancer: a 40-year cohort study.

Callaghan RC[SIZE=2]1[/SIZE], Allebeck P, Sidorchuk A.
Author information
  • [SIZE=2]1[/SIZE]Northern Medical Program, University of Northern British Columbia (UNBC), 3333 University Way, Prince George, BC, V2N 4Z9, Canada, russ.callaghan@unbc.ca.

Abstract

PURPOSE:

Cannabis (marijuana) smoke and tobacco smoke contain many of the same potent carcinogens, but a critical-yet unresolved-medical and public-health issue is whether cannabis smoking might facilitate the development of lung cancer. The current study aimed to assess the risk of lung cancer among young marijuana users.
METHODS:

A population-based cohort study examined men (n = 49,321) aged 18-20 years old assessed for cannabis use and other relevant variables during military conscription in Sweden in 1969-1970. Participants were tracked until 2009 for incident lung cancer outcomes in nationwide linked medical registries. Cox regression modeling assessed relationships between cannabis smoking, measured at conscription, and the hazard of subsequently receiving a lung cancer diagnosis.
RESULTS:

At the baseline conscription assessment, 10.5 % (n = 5,156) reported lifetime use of marijuana and 1.7 % (n = 831) indicated lifetime use of more than 50 times, designated as "heavy" use. Cox regression analyses (n = 44,284) found that such "heavy" cannabis smoking was significantly associated with more than a twofold risk (hazard ratio 2.12, 95 % CI 1.08-4.14) of developing lung cancer over the 40-year follow-up period, even after statistical adjustment for baseline tobacco use, alcohol use, respiratory conditions, and socioeconomic status.
CONCLUSION:

Our primary finding provides initial longitudinal evidence that cannabis use might elevate the risk of lung cancer. In light of the widespread use of marijuana, especially among adolescents and young adults, our study provides important data for informing the risk-benefit calculus of marijuana smoking in medical, public-health, and drug-policy settings.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:20 PM

463 posts, read 320,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
I love it-you claim many studies are flawed because the gov made them misrepresent findings-then back up your assertions with medical marijuanadoctors.org. Yeah, I'm sure THEY aren't biased at all.

Marijuana use and risk of lung cancer: a 40-year cohort study. - PubMed - NCBI

Our primary finding provides initial longitudinal evidence that cannabis use might elevate the risk of lung cancer. In light of the widespread use of marijuana, especially among adolescents and young adults, our study provides important data for informing the risk-benefit calculus of marijuana smoking in medical, public-health, and drug-policy settings.
Well, I got news for you guy. There is NOT EVEN ONE documented case of lung cancer caused by cannabis use.

"Initial longitudinal evidence". Do you even know what that means???

The reality is that we are now 40+ years down the line. I personally have been ingesting it for 44 years. Even if this "study" had results that were valid, those cases would be showing up by now! Guess what? They're not.

If you actually believe government-funded studies when it comes to cannabis research it explains why you are so misguided.

You actually quoted one of the worst "studies" on the subject I have ever seen. Especially when they state their findings of a 2 times elevated lung cancer risk over a 40 year period should influence drug-policy settings. Unbelievable. How slanted can you get?

This one takes the cake.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaian View Post
Well, I got news for you guy. There is NOT EVEN ONE documented case of lung cancer caused by cannabis use.

"Initial longitudinal evidence". Do you even know what that means???

The reality is that we are now 40+ years down the line. I personally have been ingesting it for 44 years. Even if this "study" had results that were valid, those cases would be showing up by now! Guess what? They're not.

If you actually believe government-funded studies when it comes to cannabis research it explains why you are so misguided.

You actually quoted one of the worst "studies" on the subject I have ever seen. Especially when they state their findings of a 2 times elevated lung cancer risk over a 40 year period should influence drug-policy settings. Unbelievable. How slanted can you get?

This one takes the cake.
Yes, I am sure your sample of 1 beats their sample of 44,284.

I do so love the prevalent MJ user tactic of "You can't trust these studies! They're from the gubbermint! Aack. The sky is falling. Braack!"

What was that I saw about MJ use being linked to paranoia and decreased IQ?

Looks like a Canadian study, BTW.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Hmm. Maybe not as clear cut as you think:

Does Smoking Marijuana Cause Lung Cancer

Question: Does Smoking Marijuana Cause Lung Cancer?

Answer:

The link between smoking tobacco and lung cancer is undeniable, but does smoking marijuana cause lung cancer, too? The short answer -- maybe.
In 2006, many of us in medicine were shocked when a review of research to date did not show an increase in lung cancer related to marijuana use. There was even a suggestion that marijuana had a protective effect against lung cancer.

More recent studies, in contrast, do appear to link smoking marijuana with lung cancer, although the results are mixed
One study demonstrated a doubling in lung cancer for male marijuana smokers who also used tobacco (i.e. for men who smoked the same amount, the risk of lung cancer was twice as high for men who also used marijuana.) Another study found that long-term use of marijuana increased the risk of lung cancer in young adults (55 and under), with the risk increasing in proportion to the amount of marijuana smoked.

Efffects of Marijuana on the Lungs

Researchers have found that regular use of marijuana causes injury to the airway that can be seen visibly as well as under the microscope. That said, regular smoking of marijuana does not seem to cause any significant changes in lung function, nor does it appear to increase the risk of COPD.
Why the Controversy about Cancer Risk?

Since marijuana is illegal, it is hard to do the controlled studies that have been done with tobacco. Because of this, it helps to look at what we do know about marijuana:

• Many of the carcinogens and co-carcinogens present in tobacco smoke are also present in smoke from marijuana.
  • Marijuana smoking does cause inflammation and cell damage, and it has been associated with pre-cancerous changes in lung tissue.
  • Marijuana has been shown to cause immune system dysfunction, possibly predisposing individuals to cancer.
Bottom line: Though marijuana most likely pales in cancer risk when compared to cigarette smoking, it's better to play it safe. There are reasons in addition to lung cancer risk (and the fact that it is illegal in most states) to avoid marijuana. Marijuana likely increases the risk of testicular cancer, prostate cancer, cervical cancer, a type of brain tumor, and the risk of leukemia in the offspring of women who use it during pregnancy.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:45 PM

double post.

Last edited by Keim; 06-10-2015 at 12:47 PM.. Reason: Duplicate

Old 06-10-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Yes, I am sure your sample of 1 beats their sample of 44,284.

I do so love the prevalent MJ user tactic of "You can't trust these studies! They're from the gubbermint! Aack. The sky is falling. Braack!"

What was that I saw about MJ use being linked to paranoia and decreased IQ?

Looks like a Canadian study, BTW.
I'm not sure how many it is going to take to convince you, but there are millions like me, most of them "in the closet", afraid to let it be known they are cannabis users because of the draconian punishment that could happen to them if the law discovered their "secret".

You obviously do not know the history of cannabis prohibition, or you have an agenda.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:52 PM

557 posts, read 810,762 times
Quote:
The brainwashing this country has endured for over 70 years has been quite effective.
Indeed. The "Weed" documentary that I linked to specifically talks about the "reefer madness" progpaganda of the 30s, and how it came about. Fascinating really.

Old 06-10-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure how many it is going to take to convince you, but there are millions like me, most of them "in the closet", afraid to let it be known they are cannabis users because of the draconian punishment that could happen to them if the law discovered their "secret".

You obviously do not know the history of cannabis prohibition, or you have an agenda.
Ah, yes, attacking the study's validity didn't work, time to attack the messenger. Do they issue pro MJ folks a playbook? "If they say X, respond with Y..."

If you know about study methods, you know an N of 43000 provides broad applicability...

Agenda? Yes-and I stated it previously in this thread. You can even look it up if you like! Somewhere around post 20...

Last edited by Keim; 06-10-2015 at 01:15 PM..

Old 06-10-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Ah, yes, attacking the study's validity didn't work, time to attack the messenger. Do they issue pro MJ folks a playbook? "If they say X, respond with Y..."

If you know about study methods, you know an N of 43000 provides broad applicability...

Agenda? Yes-and I stated it previously in this thread. You can even look it up if you like! Somewhere around post 20...

Ok, that explains a lot.

So you are non-prohibitionist, but you do have an admitted agenda. Got you. Thank you for clearing that up.

As soon as you called it a gateway drug you lost all credibility with me anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates