Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2015, 08:39 AM

3,125 posts, read 5,047,057 times

Advertisements

Living in CO I have noticed a few articles on suicides after having the edibles. They appear to connect them to overdosing on marijuana because the affect from the edibles takes hours to show. So some one buys a candy bar or candies. Takes a bite. Waits. Doesn't feel anything. Takes another bite. Waits. Doesn't feel anything. After a few hours they've eaten half a candy bar. The affect hits and then they kill themselves. The candy bar may say a dose is one square or something like that.

It is not something I had heard of before the edibles were legalized and so many people openly used them. I suspect the affect was known to Drs already but not us laypeople who have no exposure to drug culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 08:55 AM

463 posts, read 320,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
Living in CO I have noticed a few articles on suicides after having the edibles. They appear to connect them to overdosing on marijuana because the affect from the edibles takes hours to show. So some one buys a candy bar or candies. Takes a bite. Waits. Doesn't feel anything. Takes another bite. Waits. Doesn't feel anything. After a few hours they've eaten half a candy bar. The affect hits and then they kill themselves. The candy bar may say a dose is one square or something like that.

It is not something I had heard of before the edibles were legalized and so many people openly used them. I suspect the affect was known to Drs already but not us laypeople who have no exposure to drug culture.
Please keep in mind the scale of numbers. The incidents you are referring to involves just a few people. But in 2014 alone, 4.8 million edibles were sold in Colorado.

I call that a pretty good safety record.

Colorado releases trove of marijuana data

Old 06-10-2015, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaian View Post
Please keep in mind the scale of numbers. The incidents you are referring to involves just a few people. But in 2014 alone, 4.8 million edibles were sold in Colorado.

I call that a pretty good safety record.

Colorado releases trove of marijuana data
I'm not saying they are unsafe or should be banned. Just that there was this affect that I had no idea about.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:41 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
I'm not saying they are unsafe or should be banned. Just that there was this affect that I had no idea about.
I would imagine they were people already at risk for suicide, history of major depression, etc.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:53 AM

463 posts, read 320,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
A 38 yr old engineer told me for 15 yrs she smoked everyday and it
REALLY effected her memory...I had not seen her since she was 18....
knew her as a 2 yr old!
I believe her observation.
Here is another observation from Ivoc, from another thread. I like this post because it EXACTLY mirrors my own experiences and what I observed throughout the 1970's.

Quote:
I managed high tech groups for 30 years. I will agree with our programmer that his ilk think that Pot increases their productivity. I also am reasonably sure it does not. Does not degrade it either. Had a group in upstate NY that developed the first color copier. Big set of pot heads...very productive development team.

On the west coast it was so common that I doubt you can find a major software team that was not more than 50% stoned most of the time.

If you ran a party for Senior development types you could count on most of the attendees abeing stoned and worried about coke not pot,.

They ended up running the places...and did OK.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I would imagine they were people already at risk for suicide, history of major depression, etc.
I suppose it is easy to dismiss it that way but after your post I did a quick search on research articles just to see what they said.

"However, cannabis use can also induce panic, sometimes accompanied by paranoid ideation, more likely in someone who is taking the drug for the first time than in experienced user. Rarely, but especially among new users of cannabis, there occurs an acute depressive reaction"
Suicidal Ideation Induced by Episodic Cannabis Use

"A new study found that people who smoke marijuana before age 17 are 3.5 times more likely to attempt suicide as those who started smoking marijuana later in life. In addition, people who are dependent on marijuana have a higher risk of experiencing major depression and suicidal thoughts and behaviors."
Marijuana Dependency Linked to Depression, Suicidal Thoughts...

“Overall, the associations between marijuana abuse and depressive disorders suggest a relationship that is contributory but not necessarily causal. Depressive disorders in and of themselves do not cause people to abuse marijuana, and marijuana abuse and dependence do not of themselves cause depression or suicidal behavior,†Dr. Lynskey said."

It is clearly not a wide-spread common thing but definitely something, especially new users, should be aware of. And since it is so easy to overdose on edibles which the tourists want to use because you can't smoke in alot of hotels or anyplace public it is more important to know about it and be very careful with the edibles dosing.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:03 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,183,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS808 View Post
Zero hyperbole. I actually dialed it down. My friend was normal, now he can't function without getting high. His paranoia has cost him relationships with everyone and everything. It's a dependency problem by any measure. If your only argument is that I must be lying about this then I suggest you take some lessons on debating.

I'm not naive enough to think that anyone who wants to smoke pot would read my post and decide otherwise. Just as nobody would ever read yours and be persuaded to think that smoking is harmless. I've seen what it can do to people (in large quantities) and thus, do not endorse its usage.

Now go argue with someone who's actually making a debatable statement.
I have no doubt in my mind that you're either drastically exaggerating or outright lying, but even if I tried very hard to take your story at face value it wouldn't make any sense. Your friend has an unbelievably expensive addiction and can't hold down a job or rub two dimes together? Does he hook at night to support his pot habit? How does he pay his bills if he's so addicted to pot he can't go an hour without it? He can't function as a normal adult but he still does all of the things normal adults do, just high?
Your story is BS.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:07 AM

3,190 posts, read 3,183,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kool hand luke View Post
Takes away motivation, makes people do and think stupid things (stupid is as stupid does), affects hand-eye coordination- making for dangerous drivers.
I got better grades in school after I started smoking pot and being drunk, tired or texting while driving is more dangerous than driving while high on marijuana.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:12 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,522,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Police report...

Just those who drive while under the influence. I have no issue at all with those who don't drive while they're high.
The police report stated he was high on marijuana? How would they know that unless he confessed? A drug test doesn't tell you if you are high/impaired, just that you have smoked/ingested it recently.

Old 06-10-2015, 11:17 AM

8,435 posts, read 10,522,699 times
Quote:

I mistakenly ate a whole mj candy bar recently and had no effects whatsoever. You'd have to eat hundreds of them to "overdose" or lose any function.

People committing suicide because they didn't get high enough to alleviate their depression is much more likely!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates