Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2015, 02:59 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times

Advertisements

There are certain potheads, who when they debate will actually say that "pot is good for you" "there's no harm in it at all". Those are the type of people that get under my skin.

At the end of the day, it's really not that bad. I did it a lot when I was younger, and from my personal experience I did notice negative impacts from it. Most people that have done it and stopped have felt the same way.

Do I think it's a killer or terrible? Naaah. It's surely not good for you, but I don't think people should be going to prison over it.

I'd be 100% for legalization nationwide if there were a better way to test for it being in your system at the moment (for impaired driving purposes)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2015, 03:01 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,875,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Pardon me, your bias is showing.

Check the latest research.

Check the Israel experience.

Writing off marijuana as an unsafe drug while completely ignoring emerging evidence, is so last century.

Funny. You seem to of missed the gist of that entire exchange.

Recent emerging evidence? Rather than re-write, I'll refer you to post 115. Especially the last line.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:02 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Oh dear, I have no credibility with an anonymous internet poster. How will I sleep tonight?

Gateway drug? Yeah-I call it that because all of the people I work with that are recovering from drug and alcohol use started with either pot or alcohol. You know, like it is some sort of gateway or something...

I take it you started as a teenager? How is that reduced IQ working for you?
I will also call it a gateway drug. As soon as my buddies and I started smoking pot, we were interested in finding other stronger drugs.

We were FAR from the druggie type crowd. I've seen it time after time.

Pot is definitely a gateway drug. However the gateway drug to the VERY hard stuff is Cocaine.

Pot users will be more apt to try acid or shrooms, maybe cocaine.

The people that are trying cocaine are the ones who really face problems of gateway drugs and are the ones who typically move on to things like heroine and meth.

Old 06-10-2015, 03:10 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,240,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I will also call it a gateway drug. As soon as my buddies and I started smoking pot, we were interested in finding other stronger drugs.

We were FAR from the druggie type crowd. I've seen it time after time.

Pot is definitely a gateway drug. However the gateway drug to the VERY hard stuff is Cocaine.

Pot users will be more apt to try acid or shrooms, maybe cocaine.

The people that are trying cocaine are the ones who really face problems of gateway drugs and are the ones who typically move on to things like heroine and meth.
Challenge - did you smoke cigarettes or try alcohol, before you tried marijuana?

Old 06-10-2015, 03:13 PM

463 posts, read 320,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
Think of what you could've done!
Lol!

Are you kidding? I'm still going strong! I've still got lots to accomplish!

Old 06-10-2015, 07:03 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,283,162 times
If I die of lung cancer, I will come back from the dead to inform you all that in fact marijuana causes lung cancer.

Never smoked a cigarette in my life.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:09 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
That's why so many people are doing heroine. Pot smoking leads to people searching for more potent stuff.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:56 PM

463 posts, read 320,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
That's why so many people are doing heroine. Pot smoking leads to people searching for more potent stuff.
What about the millions of us that never graduated to anything more potent? How do you explain that?

Some of us have even been able to use it to keep from using more potent stuff, such as alcohol.

BTW, the number of people "doing heroin" is dwarfed by the number of people who use cannabis. If what you claim were actually true, then there should be millions and millions more heroin addicts than there actually is.

Old 06-10-2015, 07:58 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,526,082 times
Quote:
*heroin
I personally never believed the whole "gateway drug" thing. If you buy a drug from a dealer and that dealer has other drugs to sell then he/she will push those other drugs. If pot is legal, there is no reason to come in contact with other drugs and therefore no reason to take them. A person who wants to get more potent stuff is looking for more potent stuff. There is no gate.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:09 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,671,533 times
Quote:
The majority of marijuana smokers I know don't do heroine. The people I know who have/do (which is very few) are those with highly addictive personalities. Has nothing to do with Marijuana.
I do not believe that it is a gateway drug at all. I have smoked for many years regularly. I have never done cocaine, heroine, or meth. Never had the urge or curiosity to even try these drugs even though I had easy access to them.
Yes, in my younger years I partied occasionally with other psychedelics, but those days are over.
I don't even really drink all that much. Maybe three times a year.

Now I am not saying that Marijuana is harmless. It can be harmful. Harmful for those with addictive personalities and other mental and chemical imbalances.
Good or bad is case by case. Everyone is different.
The harm in Marijuana on its own is minimal compared to other substances sugar, tobacco, alcohol, etc.

As is with everything - nothing in excess, everything in moderation.

The Dangers of Driving and Marijuana...
There is a video on YouTube of three drivers of different ages, and different levels of use. There was a highway patrol in attendance as well.
Each driver had three turns behind the wheel. First ride, they smoked a little, felt fine, drove fine. Second ride, smoked more, felt a buzz, drove differently - slower and with more awareness. When asked if they would be pulled over by the highway patrol watching, he said no. Third ride, smoked even more, all felt high, all also said that they would NOT get behind the wheel at this level of being stoned....compare that to what someone who is drunk would say/do. The two older people drove slower and more carefully. The younger more regular user had fun with the whole thing by taking advantage of being in a controlled environment and 'went for it'. Tried to drive normally, made some mistakes.....but remember, this driver was purposefully pushing the limits only because of the situation. They had already said that they would not drive if that high.

Last edited by OwlKaMyst; 06-10-2015 at 08:12 PM.. Reason: Typos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates