Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2015, 12:25 PM

3,190 posts, read 3,184,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjonjj View Post
There is a limit to how high you can get and yes, tolerance is different with marijuana compared to other drugs. If you are becoming tolerant to the "high" the only way to combat that is to smoke LESS not more. Why? The body only has so many receptors so that you can only get so high. Smoking more will not increase your high. So NO marijuana tolerance is not the same as heroin tolerance.

People who smoke 1-2 ounces a day must be using bongs or something and are extremely wasteful. No doubt you've "smoke yourself sober" in your vast experience?

"Smoking more pot doesn't increase the effects of the drug; it diminishes them."
"Tolerance achieves the same equilibrium; over time the body compensates for prolonged exposure to THC by reducing the number of receptors available for binding. The body itself titrates the THC dose. "
Source

So either these people you know are inexperienced smokers or they just like to smoke or you are exaggerating.
Look at your second quote again. The more you smoke, the fewer receptors actually bind to the THC, meaning you have to smoke more to feel the same high. Those guys I knew could each put 1/8 ounce into a vaporizer, fill up one of those big bags so full it looked like it was going to burst, empty it in 10 minutes or less, and not be as effected as people taking one or who hits from a joint. They were still high, but their tolerance became such that they could smoke everyone I knew under the table and still function. One of them was an amazing guitar player that played better when he was high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 12:42 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
The majority of cigarette smokers are filtering the smoke into there bodies. With marijuana the majority of people do not filter the smoke. Use a bong and you are concentrating the smoke further. Our bodies are designed to filter out things not inhale them. You can search on line for a comparison images for lungs of people that smoked one or the other to see the damage caused by both. One report stated that smoking one joint a day is equivalent to smoking 20 cigarettes.

Old 06-11-2015, 01:01 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,526,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordinSolus View Post
Look at your second quote again. The more you smoke, the fewer receptors actually bind to the THC, meaning you have to smoke more to feel the same high. Those guys I knew could each put 1/8 ounce into a vaporizer, fill up one of those big bags so full it looked like it was going to burst, empty it in 10 minutes or less, and not be as effected as people taking one or who hits from a joint. They were still high, but their tolerance became such that they could smoke everyone I knew under the table and still function. One of them was an amazing guitar player that played better when he was high.
You don't get it. You can't get any higher than "high." There are only so many receptors. Once they are filled up you can smoke all you want but it just goes through the body without any affect at all. The body regulates the receptors to maintain equilibrium. This is why there are no deaths from overdose with marijiuana. The more you smoke the less high you get/feel.

They are simply smoking to smoke not to get more high. In fact, if they smoked less, they would feel the high better. The guy I mentioned smokes less and maintains his high because he is aware that you can't get higher by smoking more (as most people figure out after a few binges).

This is also why marijuana is also relatively safe except for the smoke/lung thing.

Old 06-11-2015, 03:36 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Vaporizers don't hold that much at a time. Mine is big, top of the line Volcano, and it holds about 2 teaspoons. The bag fills up regardless of how much is in it. It has a blower attached, the blower fills the bag with air and vapor. The bag would blow up big enough to burst even if there was NO mj in it. I can blow up the bag with mj vapor 7 or 8 times with that same 2 teaspoons, it lasts the evening, you don't have to keep putting more in to fill it again.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 06-11-2015 at 04:01 PM..

Old 06-11-2015, 03:58 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,108,458 times
Quote:
...that's equating correlation with causation.
No it's not. Repeated studies have linked long term weed use with psychosis and memory problems, even among people who didn't have these things prior to smoking pot. You didn't believe your dealer who told you it's totally harmless did you?

Arguing with factual data with a pothead is impossible. Look if you want to get high do it as little as possible in a state where it's decriminalized and practice harm reduction. But don't be surprised even then if years of getting high leads to anxiety problems and memory problems over time. I suggest if they occur instead of going to your physician and getting benzos and amphetamines to "make it better" that you then stop for 6 months and see how you feel then.

Old 06-11-2015, 04:02 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
No it's not. Repeated studies have linked long term weed use with psychosis and memory problems, even among people who didn't have these things prior to smoking pot. You didn't believe your dealer who told you it's totally harmless did you?

Arguing with factual data with a pothead is impossible. Look if you want to get high do it as little as possible in a state where it's decriminalized and practice harm reduction. But don't be surprised even then if years of getting high leads to anxiety problems and memory problems over time. I suggest if they occur instead of going to your physician and getting benzos and amphetamines to "make it better" that you then stop for 6 months and see how you feel then.
So your anecdotal experience should outweigh our personal experiences?

Old 06-11-2015, 05:03 PM

463 posts, read 320,717 times
Quote:

The amount of misinformation in this thread is so high (no pun intended) that it is distressing!

You say "factual data". I bet most if not all came from government studies, or funded by someone with a vested financial interest in cannabis staying illegal. Why not listen to some "factual data" from someone with decades of direct firsthand experience?

I have 44 years of daily experience with cannabis, and am actually pretty well known for my memory. So if you want to "argue with a pothead", try arguing with me.

In the type of work I do, memory is important, and I am very good at what I do. How can that be if the "factual data" you were spouting is true?

I am not an anomaly. There are millions of us long-term users with intact brains and lungs. As draconian laws continue to fall away, and 77 years of brainwashing slowly fades, you will start to see just how many of us there really are.

But I believe it is likely that first-hand information on this subject doesn't phase you. You are still going to believe "studies" over real-world information. If I'm right, then forget it, you cannot be debated with. If I'm wrong, please, respond with questions and a genuine interest in how someone like me can fly in the face of your cherished "studies".

Old 06-11-2015, 05:29 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,108,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaian View Post
The amount of misinformation in this thread is so high (no pun intended) that it is distressing!

You say "factual data". I bet most if not all came from government studies, or funded by someone with a vested financial interest in cannabis staying illegal. Why not listen to some "factual data" from someone with decades of direct firsthand experience?

I have 44 years of daily experience with cannabis, and am actually pretty well known for my memory. So if you want to "argue with a pothead", try arguing with me.

In the type of work I do, memory is important, and I am very good at what I do. How can that be if the "factual data" you were spouting is true?

I am not an anomaly. There are millions of us long-term users with intact brains and lungs. As draconian laws continue to fall away, and 77 years of brainwashing slowly fades, you will start to see just how many of us there really are.

But I believe it is likely that first-hand information on this subject doesn't phase you. You are still going to believe "studies" over real-world information. If I'm right, then forget it, you cannot be debated with. If I'm wrong, please, respond with questions and a genuine interest in how someone like me can fly in the face of your cherished "studies".
http://www.uniad.org.br/desenvolvime..._psychosis.pdf

There's one saying cannabis use is associated with a two-fold risk of mental illness later in life though it does say due to poly-drug abuse the results may be a little skewed. It's not Amerocan though. There's some speculation it's a gateway drug though so that information might not be so irrelevant after all. As for companies fighting it that's comical. Pfizer doesn't care about alcohol companies why would they care about pot. In fact, if it leads to mental illness then Pharma companies might even support legalization.

In all your 44 years of toking up did you ever stop for a year and compare how you feel? I've had friends tell me they quit for good and felt so much less depressed and less foggy headed after about 6 months of complete sobriety. Many of these people are very successful these days personally and professionally, probably more so than if they continued.

I'll agree that the war on drugs is asinine and does nothing to curb usage and personally believe in total drug legalization (with strict limits of course). It's never been proven that legalization over the long term increases usage rates (usually there's a short spike in usage after legalization then then a decline). Also legalization would allow better harm reduction and much of the tax revenue could be used for drug rehabilitation. Portugal did this with decriminalization with modest success.

It still doesn't mean pot is harmless though. And denying the medical facts and legions of burned out hippies as evidence only leads to self harm

Last edited by njbiodude; 06-11-2015 at 05:43 PM..

Old 06-11-2015, 06:11 PM

463 posts, read 320,717 times
Quote:
http://www.uniad.org.br/desenvolvime..._psychosis.pdf

There's one saying cannabis use is associated with a two-fold risk of mental illness later in life though it does say due to poly-drug abuse the results may be a little skewed.
Well, you certainly made my main point. I offer you long-term, real world facts, and what is the first thing you do? Quote a study!

Ok then, how long will I have to continue living a full, happy life before you will even begin to open your eyes to the possibility that the study is inaccurate? I am currently 58.

Please, shoot me a number.

Psychosis? Really? Only in people that are already predisposed to it. Ask any hospital how many cannabis-related cases they see, psychosis or otherwise. And please, ask some of the hospital workers lurking right here on this forum how many cases they see.

Why do you deny real world accounts the way you do?

Quote:
There's some speculation it's a gateway drug though so that information might not be so irrelevant after all.
All I can say is that every long term cannabis user I know never graduated. I submit that EVERYONE starts with alcohol or cannabis, and only those predisposed to drug problems "gateway". (Sorry, I don't know if you can use gateway as a verb or not ). In my opinion those that started using hard drugs would have done so even if cannabis had never been never put on this Earth.

Quote:
As for companies fighting it that's comical. Pfizer doesn't care about alcohol companies why would they care about pot. In fact, if it leads to mental illness then Pharma companies might even support legalization.
Wow! Now those comments show just how uninformed you are. Please, read up on the sheer number of firsthand accounts of people who have found better results with cannabis instead of the prescriptions they have been put on. If you won't research it, or at least ask other forum members about their personal firsthand experiences, then you will just have to trust me: You could not be more wrong about that.

Your comparing it to alcohol is hilarious! There is a whole list of medical benefits that can be derived from cannabis, but very few from alcohol. Plus alcohol is ALREADY legal. Your logic is failing you here.

Leads to mental illness? Please. There are 1000's of tons consumed per year, and that has been the case for 40+ years. So how can it possibly lead to mental illness if hospitals aren't seeing any cannabis related cases by now?

Quote:

In all your 44 years of toking up did you ever stop for a year and compare how you feel?
Yes, as a matter of fact. In the middle of those 44 years I stopped for 3 years. I can report to you that those were without a doubt the least productive 3 years of my life, and I'm glad I got that situation resolved.

Quote:

I've had friends tell me they quit for good and felt so much less depressed and less foggy headed after about 6 months of complete sobriety. Many of these people are very successful these days personally and professionally, probably more so than if they continued.
Would you like to see a partial list of my successes? Check out post #126 in this thread (or thereabouts).

As far as cannabis users being successful, I especially like this post from Ivoc, from another thread. I like it because it EXACTLY mirrors my own experiences and what I observed throughout the 1970's and 1980's:

Quote:
I managed high tech groups for 30 years. I will agree with our programmer that his ilk think that Pot increases their productivity. I also am reasonably sure it does not. Does not degrade it either. Had a group in upstate NY that developed the first color copier. Big set of pot heads...very productive development team.

On the west coast it was so common that I doubt you can find a major software team that was not more than 50% stoned most of the time.

If you ran a party for Senior development types you could count on most of the attendees abeing stoned and worried about coke not pot,.

They ended up running the places...and did OK.

Quote:
I'll agree that the war on drugs is asinine and does nothing to curb usage and personally believe in total drug legalization (with strict limits of course). It's never been proven that legalization over the long term increases usage rates (usually there's a short spike in usage after legalization then then a decline). Also legalization would allow better harm reduction and much of the tax revenue could be used for drug rehabilitation. Portugal did this with decriminalization with modest success.

Thank you for that! I see you have fully functioning logic, and appear to be quite intelligent. I just don't understand why people like you drank the cool-aid and became so brainwashed, and as a result absolutely refuse to look at any evidence that, in fact, shows most of the things you have been taught about the plant is absolute propaganda.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:11 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,526,082 times
If marijuana causes memory loss then why is it considered a good therapy for Alzheimer?
Source

If marijuana causes depression then why is it considered a good treatment for depression?
Source

"We know that people who have symptoms of psychosis are more likely to use marijuana, but we don’t know which comes first, marijuana use or psychotic symptoms."
Source
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates