Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 06:24 PM

42,864 posts, read 26,350,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
Then why is it 1/4 women will be raped, or that 97% of rapists never see a day in jail? I don't care what the books say, in theory sure stuff like DV is considered a horrible crime, but based on how every day a man that beat his woman is out pretty much the next day goes on to beat/kill/rape the woman anyway what good does a restraining order do? How many men who wanted to beat/rape/kill a woman thought "I want SO bad to beat and rape her, but there is a restraining order better not!" Probably very very few.
The only real way to deal wit these sobs is to have them taken out back and shot.
You are citing some very questionable statistics The Enliven Project's false rape accusations infographic: great intentions, but it isn't accurate.
"According to the FBI "[t]he rate of forcible rapes in 2012 was estimated at 52.9 per 100,000 female inhabitants." Assuming that all American women are uniformly at risk, this means the average American woman has a 0.0529 percent chance of being raped each year, or a 99.9471 percent chance of not being raped each year. That means the probability the average American woman is never raped over a 50-year period is 97.4 percent (0.999471 raised to the power 50). Over 4 years of college, it is 99.8 percent. Thus the probability that an American woman is raped in her lifetime is 2.6 percent and in college 0.2 percent — 5 to 100 times less than the estimates broadcast by the media and public officials."
Do the math: rape stats don't add up - tribunedigital-baltimoresun

Your claim that 97% of rapists never go to jail is based on some nonsense made up number that claims that only 10% of rapes are reported, the truth is that Using the Bureau of Justice Statistics’ National Crime Victimization Survey statistics from 2008 to 2012, the Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network estimated 40 percent of rapes get reported to the police. This is close to the 2013 criminal victimization rates, which estimated 35 percent of rape or sexual assault cases are reported. the conviction rate is about 25% but there are factors that make rape a difficult crime for which to obtain a conviction such as failure of the victim to cooperate, lack of physical evidence, and in the case of stranger rape - difficulty in identifying a suspect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 08:50 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,080,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
We don't do that because we have a thing called due process. It is there to protect you as well as the most depraved criminal. Unfortunately we have prosecutors who withhold exculpatory evidence, attorneys who don't provide an adequate defense, witnesses who lie. There is an appellate process to give the accused an opportunity to contest the verdict for a number of those reasons. The Innocence Project has succeeded in overturning 330 homicide convictions due to DNA exoneration and another 140 because they were able to identify the real killer. Many of the accused had been given death sentences. I would not be proud to live in a nation where in our rush to punish we kill innocent people and then issue some lame apology after they are dead.
Thank you! Everyone cries for blood, but if it was them or their loved one who was wrongfully convicted, they'd be crying for their day in court to appeal

Old 10-06-2015, 08:56 PM

As for child abusers, they can change. I've seen it. My mother suffered from depression, and was "heavy handed" code for abusive. She got on the right kind of meds and was a lot better after that.
And my best friend (while growing up) her mom was even worse than my mother, and a druggie. One day, she found Jesus, flushed the drugs, and never touched my friend in anger again.

Last edited by faeryedark; 10-06-2015 at 09:07 PM..

Old 10-06-2015, 09:05 PM

And what of those who falsely accuse someone of rape or child abuse etc? Are you for offing them too?

Old 10-06-2015, 10:04 PM

50,926 posts, read 24,432,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaSonner View Post
An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth.
And after a while everyone is blind and hungry since they can't eat.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:32 PM

1,385 posts, read 2,456,381 times
Wow. There is so much hate and anger in this thread. Many of the posters I know from other posts are Christians. Not very Christ-like.

These people who do such horrible things are human beings. Some of them are mentally ill, some of them had such a horrible upbringing that it is no wonder they are seriously defective humans. But they are human beings.

Perhaps if one of these persons of no value were a close family member you might rethink how you would like them to be treated.

I am not saying I have an answer about how to deal with them. I don't. I know some of them are so badly damaged that the kindest thing to do would be to put them down. I would do no less for an animal.
I guess you would have to take it case by case.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:40 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,391,999 times
Is the best way to treat a monster to become a monster yourself?

I find it fascinating how the existence of horrible people gives some self righteous people the license to gleefully indulge in their darkest fantasies of torture, maiming, and killing people and it is all justified because their victim is despicable deviant criminal.

I have no love for rapists, murderers, and pedos, but my interest goes no further than seeing that y are no longer able to harm anyone whether through imprisonment or death. But it seems many people appreciate the suffering of others as much as the deviants themselves.

Old 10-06-2015, 10:46 PM

358 posts, read 223,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryedark View Post
Thank you! Everyone cries for blood, but if it was them or their loved one who was wrongfully convicted, they'd be crying for their day in court to appeal

No you are wrong a lot of people would not do that - I for one would not. I truly believe that if anyone is this sick and are found guilty beyond reasonable doubt they are to be held accountable. Period. I am speaking from real life experience and I had no problems with my relative paying for the crimes he committed. It made me sad that he made the choices he made but I knew that he needed to pay for crimes he committed.

Old 10-07-2015, 04:49 AM

4,218 posts, read 3,770,660 times
A criminal who does not value human life never will should be removed from civilization to protect those people that do. This has nothing to do with hate and anger, it has to do with protecting the innocent against people who do use their hate and anger to harm others. What do we do when an out of control animal attacks someone? We don't rehabilitate it, we put it down to prevent it from harming again. Im all for an eye for an eye a tooth for a tooth. Wouldn't this be a deterrent for criminals? and if so wouldn't the crime rate go down?

Old 10-07-2015, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Is the best way to treat a monster to become a monster yourself?

I find it fascinating how the existence of horrible people gives some self righteous people the license to gleefully indulge in their darkest fantasies of torture, maiming, and killing people and it is all justified because their victim is despicable deviant criminal.

I have no love for rapists, murderers, and pedos, but my interest goes no further than seeing that y are no longer able to harm anyone whether through imprisonment or death. But it seems many people appreciate the suffering of others as much as the deviants themselves.
I had the same thoughts. IMO those who wish such things are no better than the "monsters" they wish to kill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates