Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 03:09 AM

1,485 posts, read 955,301 times

Advertisements

Don't worry. The US government is busy staging bombings like the one in Boston a few years back, and exceptionally busy staging mass shootings and blaming crazy people in order to play on the sympathies of the people to disarm us.

The US government agrees with you. They also think no one except the military and LE should have guns. They realize you can't have a police/prison state until you ban and confiscate our guns.

You may call me a conspiracy theorist but isn't that the direction we're heading? Think about it, every time there's a mass shooting someone brings up the idea of "gun control". Police are getting more militarized. Also there is a video on YouTube that caught a US lawmaker, can't remember her name, on an open mic saying she wants our guns confiscated.

I am all for the banning of firearms. As long as it's a total ban, meaning LE, nor our domestic military can have them. But we all know that won't happen. So I'll be keeping my gun and getting more.

Old 11-03-2015, 03:30 AM

1,166 posts, read 1,636,348 times
Per the Daily Mail:

Shotguns have "virtually sold out" in Austria as citizens rush to buy arms amid fears of a massive influx of migrants.

"Because of the social change, people want to protect themselves," one arms dealer told local media. He said "many women" were among his customers.

Shotguns have 'virtually sold out' in Austria amid migrant fears | Daily Mail Online

Old 11-03-2015, 05:41 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,165,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeltaOrionis View Post
My reasoning involved securing the borders, which are already really secure anyway
Those of us who have lived near the border know that the border is WFO, not even remotely secure. Thousands (if not tens of thousands) of illegal aliens cross the border every day.

Quote:
I vastly prefer the USA.
Then why do you want it to be more like parts of Europe?

Quote:
Give up your guns and criminals will not be able to take advantage of them.
Let's hear your plan for getting the criminals to surrender their guns first.

Old 11-03-2015, 05:47 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,923,196 times
The OP might feel safer if he/she moved to Chicago or DC. They have very strict gun control there.

Old 11-03-2015, 06:09 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,558,574 times
I posted this in another thread, because when I was done typing it, the mods had temporarily closed this thread.

Why is the US always compared to "developed" countries that are so devoid of the "thug culture".
It is driven by the agenda that seeks to shame us into giving up our rights.

EVERY country on any list of "developed" countries that we are compared to do not have hardly ANY racial diversity at all.

Mexico is much more racially diverse than the European countries we are compared to.

Compare the inner city ghettos of the US with the third world countries and compare the less racially diverse cities of the US with Europe and you'll see a pretty even comparison.

Where is the dividing line between "developed and "undeveloped"?
Where does Russia belong? What about India?

Is it strictly based on industry and wealth?

Whatever criteria you want to use to define "third world", you will find that most of those same criteria will be applicable to the inner cities of Chicago, New Orleans, Detroit, DC, etc. etc.

And there is where you'll find why the numbers are skewed.

We are neither one nor the other, we are both.

Old 11-03-2015, 06:14 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,486,476 times
To understand why Americans are so pro gun rights you have to understand the background of our ancestors. Many were persecuted minorities who were prohibited from opening weapons so the majority group could massacre them at will. Individual gun ownership is viewed as necessary to protect yourself and your group. Does the holocaust happen if Jews had owned guns at a similar rate to America? What if Black Americans had guns and could have fought off the KKK? (first gun law in America banned Blacks from owning guns)

There is an old Indian saying....

"He who wants to take my bow from me is not my friend"

Old 11-03-2015, 06:43 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,526,504 times
Quote:
I currently live in Europe, I dream about permanently moving to USA.
There's only one thing that truly disgusts me about the US, and it's actually a big scary thing: guns and how they're so widespread in the population for both the law-abiding citizien and the criminal.

Stop buying into the media hype that it's the wild west over here. It's not. Despite the number of guns, depending on what part of the country you go to you you may never even see one.

I don't think I ever saw a firearm until I was almost 30 when I bought one.

Old 11-03-2015, 06:49 AM

16,560 posts, read 10,643,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jago77 View Post
I live in australia myself, and the idea of other ordinary citizens (not criminals, just your average adult) around me having guns scares me. The thought that my kids might go to a schoolfriend's house and there might be guns in that house is scary.
I have a gun in my house. I also have knives, and hammers, and screwdrivers, and various other sharp pointy things. I also have children in my house, both my own and those of friends who come to visit. If I wanted to, I could very quickly and easily cause them great bodily harm.

And yet, I don't.

The presence of a gun does not automatically make someone want to start blowing people away, any more than the presence of a knife makes someone want to viciously stab someone. Law-abiding gun owners are no more likely to harm your children than are law-abiding non-gun owners.

Fear the criminals, for they are the ones who want to do you harm, whether they use a gun or a knife or a baseball bat or anything else. Don't fear your average adult, for your average adult -- yes, even the one with guns in his home -- means you no harm.

Old 11-03-2015, 07:05 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,346,864 times
Quote:
I currently live in Europe, I dream about permanently moving to USA.
There's only one thing that truly disgusts me about the US, and it's actually a big scary thing: guns and how they're so widespread in the population for both the law-abiding citizien and the criminal.

Really, it's such a shame for a great and first world country like the USA to have such ugly violent and murder rate statistics compared to all other first world countries in the EU and Asia.

From reading your post, it's a shame that your fears outweigh your dreams.

My question to you is: why do you dream about permanently moving to the USA ?
Why do you expect all the citizens in the USA to give up what they consider their right to own a gun so you can live here.

It's not all about you and it's our fear of a dictator, possibly like you with your inflammatory rhetoric, taking over our country that motivates people to own guns.

My advise to you is to stay where you are to live with your fears and don't move here because you probably won't make it here very long before alienating a lot of potential friends with your neurotic thoughts.
Get a grip on yourself !
I live in Los Angeles and in my 50 years here, have never had a gun drawn on me.

Last edited by Jeo123; 11-03-2015 at 07:46 AM.. Reason: Removed Red Font

Old 11-03-2015, 07:40 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,589,099 times
Unless the OP knows of someone planning suicide or plans on going into the ghetto to buy drugs. The OP's chances of being involved in a gun related crime is next to "0". So is there a Gun Problem in the US? Not really.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates