Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2015, 05:30 AM

309 posts, read 516,321 times

Advertisements

This thread reeks political agenda.

Some shills of a certain party play the advocates and some of the same party pretend to oppose it. So that the other party will look bad. All for scaring women for their votes.

Yes, women should have right to choose. No, women should not be manipulated and confused about how to cast her votes.

Neither party has our best interest in mind. They are merely playing games for their own benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 01:03 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,802,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Abortion WAS illegal...they legalized it because women were dying having illegal abortions, with coat hangers, punctured uterus, infection, and even death of both mother and child. It was horrible.

"Late term" abortions are much rarer than the press would lead you to believe.

I wouldn't advocate that anyone should abort...but women will, if they feel the need, regardless if it's legal or not. At least it should be safe!
Actually, not all women who get abortions if abortions are legal will get abortions if abortions are illegal.

Also, out of curiosity--do you support making safe surgical castration more accessible? After all, just like "back-alley" abortions existed back in the old days, "back-alley" surgical castrations certainly exist!

Old 12-18-2015, 02:21 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,065,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Actually, not all women who get abortions if abortions are legal will get abortions if abortions are illegal.

Also, out of curiosity--do you support making safe surgical castration more accessible? After all, just like "back-alley" abortions existed back in the old days, "back-alley" surgical castrations certainly exist!

Castration is legal if you want to transition to a female.

Otherwise, asking a doctor to remove your genitals just because you ask would be more akin to a woman asking a doctor to remove her breasts, just because she asks......not gonna happen.

Castration on demand is hardly comparable to abortion, which does not permanently alter a woman's body beyond repair.

Apples/oranges.

Old 12-18-2015, 03:16 PM

172 posts, read 252,084 times
Yes, I think abortion should be illegal. An unborn baby is a person.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:35 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,245,888 times
Abortion should never be illegal, because the State should NEVER be allowed to force women to bear children, under ANY circumstances. I can't think of an issue more critical to being a free human being.

If you don't like abortion, you should be fighting to make contraception more available and cheap; to STOP taxpayer support of having children you can't afford to support; and to make it socially UNACCEPTABLE to get pregnant unless you can support the kid without taxpayer aid (including the massive cost of educating the child).

We now have a Big Government that attempts to manage and oversee EVERY action of every citizen, every second of the day--EXCEPT when it comes to discouraging overbreeding, which Big Government loves. At the same time, we have dismantled the expectations of a civilized Society, so that having children without a spouse, or any income, is perfectly fine--even applauded! Nobody notices the huge cost comes out of working people's paycheck, to the point that few bother to work at all.

Society should have standards that people want to abide by, or it degrades into a chaos of nobody working, everyone trying to scam everyone else, and a constant degradation of quality of life until the house of cards collapses--and then it REALLY gets bad for everyone.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:18 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,782,129 times
As a reminder, the topic of this thread is abortions. While analogies can be useful in a debate, their scope should be limited to prevent off topic conversations. You can make a point using an analogy, but when it gets to be a back and forth conversation over the idea expressed in that analogy, it's gone off topic.

This is not about child support, castration, or any other topic. Each one of those topics is diverse enough to become it's own thread, so please avoid trying to discuss at length in this thread. I realize they are closely related, but talking about everything at once will just make a mess of the thread.

New thread creation is encouraged if you feel passionate enough about the topic.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:08 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,446,158 times
There are many nuances to my position on abortion... without going into them, for the purpose of this discussion, I can say I oppose abortion except in cases of rape, specific health threat of pregnancy to the woman, or if the child will be born with a severe disability. Basically, abortion on demand should be illegal.

I don't accept the individual liberty argument for allowing abortion because motherhood is a duty for women.

Old 02-05-2016, 06:56 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,867,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
There are many nuances to my position on abortion... without going into them, for the purpose of this discussion, I can say I oppose abortion except in cases of rape, specific health threat of pregnancy to the woman, or if the child will be born with a severe disability. Basically, abortion on demand should be illegal.

I don't accept the individual liberty argument for allowing abortion because motherhood is a duty for women.
Huh? What? Where did you ever come up with that?

My constitution doesn't mention that duty. I've never seen a law saying that women must birth children.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:05 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,446,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
Huh? What? Where did you ever come up with that?

My constitution doesn't mention that duty. I've never seen a law saying that women must birth children.
Of course it doesn't. But your constitution was also written by anti-traditionalist libertarians, so I have no interest in upholding it in the first place. That's beside the point, though. I was talking more in terms of general principles than American-specific politics or de jure policies. The duty of motherhood exists within the context of duty to your nation. Just like men have a duty to care (and possible die) for the nation, as well as women and children, so too do women have the duty of continuing the nation by means of childbirth and childrearing.

Old 02-05-2016, 07:08 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,652,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
In the last couple of years there have been state laws passed which have put more burden on doctors who preform abortion, and in some states the requirements are so high that clinics have closed down. Some states make the woman see an ultrasound of the fetus. Do you support Abortion being legal or not and why.
Should premediated murder be legal or illegal. That's how I see your question. Of course it should be illegal.

Constitution is supposed to protect life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Aborted babies are denied that right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates